Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

6EX 2.4 Servo Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:44 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6EX 2.4 Servo Hunting

I have had a problem develop with my 6EX. The throttle servo hunts a little bit at idle. I can see the motion in the carb control arm and the engine rpm changes noticeably. I have not detected any other control performing similarly. This has happened early in the flight day when receiver battery pack charge is still quite good, verified by a VoltWatch. I suspected a dirty pot in the throttle servo so I changed to a spare (same model, Futaba analog standard). It did the same thing, but it is only intermittent. There does not appear to be any issues when flying, with throttle or other controls. The system is just over a year old and has low total flight time.

I am baffled. Any advice?

Thanks,

Bedford
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 6EX 2.4 Servo Hunting

Sometimes, when the NiCd receiver battery pack is freshly-charged, it can cause some servo hunting until its voltage drops a bit. Then things should stabilize.

If you have a difficulty only on the throttle channel when the stick is at the low position, then it's likely something to do with the pot. The unit should be checked.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 AM
beepee

Thanks Bax.

I watched it again in yesterday's flying session. It did seem to settle down after the first flight or so. I will continue to monitor. Getting radio service from here in the desert is not the easiest, but I may have to pursue eventually.

We appreciate everything you do.

Bedford
Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 PM
draftman1

its probably the throttle pot, I have 3 of those radios and they all eventually did that, two of them were replaced on warranty. two of them had low end problems like yours and the other was messing up at wide open. I eventualy went to a better higher end radio. the pots are better in them
Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 AM
kemp83

Hi beepee, I think I have the same problem with my 6EX, but it is not permanent so its hard to sort it out. When I have time I will push it a little more to find exactly what's going on. If I find something I will inform you. Please if you find something let me know, as well.
Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 AM
kemp83

I have checked my 6EX on two airplanes and the problem is found when the throttle stick is either at the exteme up position (max) or at the extreme lower position (min). If I move just one tiny step lower from max or one tiny step upper from idle the ploblem is eliminated. When being in extreme positions if the thub pushes slightly the stick then the hunting is bigger. I will concentrate on the inner mechanism of the stick and see if there is something I can do about it. Any help is most welcome!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM
kemp83

I believe the prolem is on the potensiometer. I will use contact cleaner and try to contact futaba, as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
kemp83

Hi I am facing the same problem both on idle and at max. I have checked everything and it seems as a transmitter problem. I believe its the potentiometer. I am waiting an answer from futaba support. I am thinking of using contact cleaner for the potentiometer. Let me know if you find any solution. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A dirty potentiometer in the transmitter should be replaced. Contact cleaner may help for a short time, but the pot usually winds up having an eroded surface on the contact strip, so it won't give even operation.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM
kemp83

Thanks Bill! I will not use the contact cleaner - I will try to find a new potentiometer and replace it. Is there a way to get one? Thank you!