RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Futaba Radios Direct support forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/)
-   -   Futaba 6 EX 2.4 Systems Upgrades (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/11172455-futaba-6-ex-2-4-systems-upgrades.html)

buchtes 07-28-2012 01:34 PM

Futaba 6 EX 2.4 Systems Upgrades

I sure would like to have this explained in detail and what has to be done to insure safe operation: Here is a exert from the article I read in R/C Model Reviews:

Problems for Futaba FASST owners
RECALL IN EUROPE BUT NOT THE USA

Futaba made a very bold statement when they launched their much-awaited 2.4GHz spread spectrum radio control system.
Futaba transmitter

"Futaba gets it right the first time" was the proud claim made on the FASST website.

The site went on to say "Futaba takes great pride in making sure that every new product performs flawlessly before it's offered to our customers".

Now if you're going to make claims like that you'd better be 100 percent sure that you do get it right first time and unfortunately, in the case of some FASST products, they didn't.

It seems that the GUID (a magic number that uniquely identifies each transmitter) programmed into the 6EX, 7C and TM7 FASST modules was either shipped with a zero value or is able to be accidentally zero'd in the field.

Futaba has acknowledged that there is a problem but the way it's being handled varies dramatically from one country to another.

In Europe, the Futaba distributor has taken the bold and praiseworthy step of issuing a general recall that applies to all 6EX, 7C and TM7 units. Once returned to base, those units either have a new circuit board or new software installed.

In the USA however, Hobbico has declined to follow the European lead and is simply telling customers they can return their systems for an "upgrade" if they want to.

Whereas the European distributor was very pro-active in ensuring that this problem doesn't cause people to lose planes or suffer injury, Hobbico has taken a far more laid-back approach, initially discounting reports of problems and then claiming they were unable to reproduce the problem (therefore it wasn't a problem).

From a technical perspective, FASST remains probably the most sophisticated and robust 2.4GHz spread spectrum system on the market. From a marketing and support perspective it depends very much on which part of the world you live in as to the quality of service you receive.

If you have a Futaba FASST 6EX, 7C or TM7 sytem it is strongly recommended that you check the website for the distributor in your country and make sure you have returned your set so it can be checked, upgraded or repaired.
Related links

teamnumnut 07-29-2012 05:08 PM

RE: Futaba 6 EX 2.4 Systems Upgrades

Just curious, from which year was the article?

Bax 07-30-2012 08:59 AM

There used to be a program where you could check your transmitter at your local hobby shop to see if it was one of those affected. However, it's been quite a number of years since the early production runs of the 7C where the difficulty was present. The 7C has long since been corrected, so that the difficulty cannot happen.

If you have an older unit, and you believe it has the coding difficulty, it does need to be sent to the service center to have the transmitter updated.

buchtes 07-30-2012 02:32 PM

can you trace it by the serial number to see if it
was included in the upgrade ?
T6EX, SN: A70201619

TimBle 07-31-2012 12:26 AM

I think a local hobby store sold me a 6EX with this issue. I received a generous discount at the time and now it won;t link a FASST Rx anylonger.
Nice huh? Thanks for posting, I'll have to send it along to repair centre nearby soon.

buchtes 08-02-2012 03:02 PM

your welcome TimBle, I'm still waiting on UPS to send me a free shipping code to return the TX to the service center for a new RF Board and or upgrade. From talking to several other FUTABA TX owners with the same problems, this was NOT advertised and not all Futaba TX owners where contacted about this issue. This is not good service we expect from FUTABA. I'll keep you posted about this issue.

rc34074 08-02-2012 06:48 PM

I have one of the 7 channel units involved and I recall that it was advertised in various ways at the time. I got the free shipping/fix/free return shipping deal.

Ed

buchtes 08-03-2012 04:03 AM

rc34074 good for you, I and some others where missed in this service

buchtes 08-03-2012 08:41 AM

I'm beginning to loose Trust in Futaba Service, it has been 4 Days since I contacted the Service Personal ( very unfriendly on the phone) for a shipping Code to return the TX for service and I still do not have it. I cant believe that UPS is that slow is sending it.