Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Canister set-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canister set-up

I am installing my first canister muffler in a scale biplane and have some set-up questions. The engine is a DL50 with a flex header and a MT60 canister. The engine is soft/firm mounted with B&B Vibra-loc mounts, (http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page4.htm). I am going with the canister because the "muffler" that comes with the engine is really only an exhaust deflector.

1. How much distance between the header and the canister tubes inside the silicon coupler?

2. Given the engine is soft mounted, I am assuming the canister should also be soft mounted. Are there particular methods or do I just buy a couple of JMB canister mounts, (http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/JMBMOUNT.html)? Or can I build my own version and is regular silicon fuel tubing sufficiently heat-proof to act as a cushion against the canister? Is there another source of higher temp silicon?

3. What tubing can I get to go from the canister exhaust tube to the outside of the plane?

4. Any other canister advice?

Thanks in advance,

Martin
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Canister set-up

ORIGINAL: Nieuport nut

I am installing my first canister muffler in a scale biplane and have some set-up questions. The engine is a DL50 with a flex header and a MT60 canister. The engine is soft/firm mounted with B&B Vibra-loc mounts, (http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page4.htm). I am going with the canister because the ''muffler'' that comes with the engine is really only an exhaust deflector.

1. How much distance between the header and the canister tubes inside the silicon coupler?1/4"

2. Given the engine is soft mounted, I am assuming the canister should also be soft mounted. Are there particular methods or do I just buy a couple of JMB canister mounts, (http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/JMBMOUNT.html)? Or can I build my own version and is regular silicon fuel tubing sufficiently heat-proof to act as a cushion against the canister? Is there another source of higher temp silicon?http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubing/=8up180

3. What tubing can I get to go from the canister exhaust tube to the outside of the plane?You could try soft copper tubing from HomeDepot

4. Any other canister advice?Expect about 300 rpm drop over the stock DL muffler

Thanks in advance,

Martin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54885.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1501110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50127.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1501111  
Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Nieuport nut

Thanks Rich. Is that regular (glow) fuel line around the zip ties, holding the canister? And can I assume you have the first engine, at least, hard mounted?

Martin
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Nieuport nut

Thanks Rich. Is that regular (glow) fuel line around the zip ties, holding the canister?

No, it's Part Number: 51135K211 on the Mcmaster.com site. You could not get a regular zip tie through fuel tubing, but it is the same material.

And can I assume you have the first engine, at least, hard mounted?

They both are hard mounted. The header pipe combo gives a very nice mellow exhaust sound. If you use one of the new Xoar WWI props, maybe a 24x6 if they have that size, you'll have the quietest plane at your field.

Just a thought, the header is flexible in that you can bend it to fit you application, but it's not to be used as a coupling between a shaking component and a fixed one. If I where doing you plane I'd loose the soft motor mounts. Be sure to baffle you engine also, a big round cowl opening looks like it will cool well, but it won't, the air has to go through the cooling fins, then it needs a low pressure area to help suck it out of the cowl.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16810.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1501518  
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Nieuport nut

Thanks Rich. I am starting to re-think the soft mount. especially with stand-offs. I'm new to gas and the vast majority of fliers seem to go with hard mounting.

Martin