Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Zenoah GT-80 3-Bladed Prop Selection

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah GT-80 3-Bladed Prop Selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah GT-80 3-Bladed Prop Selection

I purchased on of the older H9 33% Sukhoi SU-31 ARFs second-hand with a Zenoah GT-80 already installed. I don't fly 3D, just sport and [attempted] precession so I'm going to give the combo a chance. It's still on magneto, but I did swap out the stock mufflers for Slimline pitts which shaved a full pound off the airplane and will hopefully provide a few more RPMs.

The plane came with a Menz 24x10 2-blade (wood) and an HF 22x11 3-blade (carbon fiber). I also have another Xoar 24x10 2-blade "in stock". A 24x10 2-blade appears to be the clear choice for this motor, but I can't find anything on 3-blade options.

I'm planning to experiment with them both to see for myself, but I was wondering if anyone could weight in on the 22x11 3-blade first. Is it in the ball park for this setup? If not, I won't waste time balancing it.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM
arobatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah GT-80 3-Bladed Prop Selection

I think its in the ballpark for sure, but I wouldn't expect it to be near as efficient as two blade alternatives. Whether you fly 3D, or sport, you still want your engine happy, so take the time to tune it properly and prop it for 7000+ rpm on the ground. Don't be afraid to try a 2 blade 23x10, or 24x8. Don't let RPM readings well over 7000rpm worry you either. If you don't take the time to get it tuned and propped in the right RPM range around 7000+, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. In this range the engine is happy, and it will gladly spin whatever you like. Then its up to you to decide which prop feels best on your plane, for your flying style.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah GT-80 3-Bladed Prop Selection

try a 22x12x3