ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's really not up to any fail safe settings. An opti switch is going to kill the engine by default regardless, in a low voltage or loss of signal situation.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Loss of signal or a corrupt signal at the receiver can trigger failsafe in the receiver that will output a predetermined pulse width on the channel the opti switch is connected to. This can either cut the ignition off or leave it running depending on how the radio is programmed. Normal settings for most failsafe receivers that I have is a "hold" condition that would leave the ignition on. Not sure about all receiver brands so there could be exceptions. The ones I own go to a hold condition on low battery which of course is followed quickly by a dead condition as the battery fully discharges. Of course, a dead battery shuts everything down! Certainly failsafe can also be programmed to kill the ignition in the above conditions. Best way is to test the whole system by turning the transmitter off and observing if the ignition goes dead or not while the airborne system is still turned on.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:57 PM
douglas racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
It's really not up to any fail safe settings. An opti switch is going to kill the engine by default regardless, in a low voltage or loss of signal situation.
That's not what they were saying a couple pages back. They were saying that the fail safe is part of the transmitter/receiver set up not the kill switch. My understanding is the fail safe set up for my transmitter/receiver positions all channels where ever I set them. So if I set the fail safe up as throttle idle but ignition switch on it will go to that if signal is lost. I'd rather not have a brown out kill the engine but if that's the normal set up I guess I would do that.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:11 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Splitting hairs here. Not sure how important this is. If things get bad enough for your fail safe settings to be enabled when on 2.4, not sure how important it is for your engine to remain idling in any case.

Regarding fail safe settings taking precedence over the opti switch programming, in the case of low voltage or signal loss, how is the receiver going to maintain the voltage or signal required by the opti switch? The receiver is not able to boost voltage or generate signal that it is not receiving.

Even if the receiver is able to set a pulse width/generate a signal that will keep the opti switch running (not very likely in my estimation) thinking it would be impossible to trick the opti switch in low voltage scenarios.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All well and good if we're just referring to low voltage conditions and I agree with you Al. But in the case of a short term, bad signal triggered failsafe event, it might be desirable for the engine to keep running ... or maybe not. Going back to my first response, its up to the individual to make that call and set up failsafe the way they feel most comfortable. Like I indicated, I'm most comfortable with the engine going dead in any condition that triggers failsafe.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:37 PM
douglas racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Splitting hairs here. Not sure how important this is. If things get bad enough for your fail safe settings to be enabled when on 2.4, not sure how important it is for your engine to remain idling in any case.

Regarding fail safe settings taking precedence over the opti switch programming, in the case of low voltage or signal loss, how is the receiver going to maintain the voltage or signal required by the opti switch? The receiver is not able to boost voltage or generate signal that it is not receiving.

Even if the receiver is able to set a pulse width/generate a signal that will keep the opti switch running (not very likely in my estimation) thinking it would be impossible to trick the opti switch in low voltage scenarios.

Since I'm splitting hairs I'll go ask my questions somewhere else.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for not telling you what you seem to want to hear.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:32 PM
douglas racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You didn't tell me anything, but I bet you impressed yourself.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmm, another satisfied customer? I thought he was presented several sides of the story for him to decide how he wanted to configure the equipment. Oh well ............
Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 PM
douglas racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, you presented several sides. He on the other hand just told me I was splitting hairs when I asked how to set up the fail safe.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by douglas racer View Post
No, you presented several sides. He on the other hand just told me I was splitting hairs when I asked how to set up the fail safe.
Oh, OK. Please don't take offense. Everybody was just trying to help out. Sometimes things just get taken wrong in the forum setting.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:47 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe a more specific question might help. Like what kind of radio, exactly, do you have? The scenario you have in mind, or are trying to prevent, exactly?

If you weren't so offended, maybe you would have read the second and third paragraphs. Not sure how much more specific anyone could get, here or anywhere else. If you don't agree with, or get what I'm saying, say so. I'm just guessing at where you are coming from, what you're trying to figure out, and stating an opinion.

Honestly didn't mean to offend, but I do fail to understand why an engine going to an idle setting is of any importance/of any benefit when the plane is in such dire straights. That's my issue though. Not yours. You're free to do as you like. -Al
Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 PM
the pope

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like him . Cheers the pope
Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 AM
douglas racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the information guys, I have my set up figured out.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:04 PM
clockguypete

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am using an rcexel opti kill on my gas engine setup. My engine quit mid flight and I dead stick landed ok. Walked over to the plane and the kill switch led was off. Toggled the switch for it on my transmitter a couple times but it remained off. Switched the receiver off and on then the opti kill LED came back on ok. What's going on here? Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:47 AM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Low ign. battery would be my first guess.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:43 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What chemistry battery are you using for ignition power ?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:21 AM
clockguypete

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run a two cell lipo which was charged before my three flights. After 4flights it only uses around 150ma. I never had that happen before, so seeing my opti kill LED off when I did not hit the kill switch in flight surprised me. I'm thinking flaky ignition switch maybe, intermittent connection somewhere? Or something in the spectrum 12ch dual batt safe receiver shut the kill switch off? I never loss control of the fight controls, just the engine ignition shut down.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:37 AM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you been able to duplicate the issue?
You might try setting the servo travel, for the channel operating the switch, to max in both directions.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 AM
clockguypete

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remember setting the travel on the optikill switch just as you suggested when I programmed the plane. I flew another flight without this problem. Have had around 25 flights now with this issue. I'll keep an eye on it, and see if it reoccurs.