My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch v1.2

Does anyone know what the difference is between the the Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch v1.2 shown on the Rcexl webiste and the ones being sold here in the States.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30402.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1506968  
Old 09-26-2010, 12:29 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch v1.2

It makes no difference. Use this one if you really want to get the radio frequency isolation you need. Dan.
http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Ignition/ignition.htm
Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 PM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gsmith6879

Does anyone know what the difference is between the the Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch v1.2 shown on the Rcexl webiste and the ones being sold here in the States.

This is a new version improved with a case. Like the rpm tachometer, now comes in a box. That's RCEXL continuous improveent process.
Here in my country, current stock is the old version without a case. Next units will be like you show in the link.
With this opto-coupled ignition switch, YOU GET the radio frequency isolation you need. Don't worry: you get a safety device for a fraction price than others. Hundreds of units sold and many satisfied customers are the best presentation card for the RCEXL ignition device.

Regards

Old 09-26-2010, 01:53 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mpascual

ORIGINAL: gsmith6879

This is a new version improved with a case. Like the rpm tachometer, now comes in a box. That's RCEXL continuous improveent process.
Here in my country, current stock is the old version without a case. Next units will be like you show in the link.
With this opto-coupled ignition switch, YOU GET the radio frequency isolation you need. Don't worry: you get a safety device for a fraction price than others. Hundreds of units sold and many satisfied customers are the best presentation card for the RCEXL ignition device.

Regards

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it might be a newer version.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just installed one of these. I haven't tested it with the engine running, but bench checks look good except for one thing.

First, with the tx on, then rx on, then ignition on, the red opto-ignition LED lights up. If I active the switch for the channel on the tx I'm using to 'off', the LED goes out. So far so good. If I turn the IGN switch off, LED out. Good. OK, IGN back on, rx off...LED goes out. Good. Now, with everything back powered up, if I turn the radio off the LED stays on. Is this correct?

Seems to me the LED should go out, indicating power has been removed from the ignition system due to transmitter failure/loss of signal. I'm using a JR R921 rx, and when I turn the radio off, as expected the LED lights on the main unit and on the satellite rx's extinguish. I would think the ignition LED should also extinguish, but it doesn't.

Again, I have not tested with the engine running (ran out of time today), so I don't know if the engine will in fact shut down in this situation, even with the ignition LED 'on.'
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM
jedijody

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A volt meter would suffice as a substitute for the engine, if there's > 4 volts in the output of the Opto-Kill switch the engine would still be running. If this is happening you should set your failsafe for that channel to shut off the ignition in the event of a signal loss.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That switch may need a dummy load to kill off the residual voltage?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
rcbill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sluggo,
With the JR Radio you can only program the failsafe on the throttle. All other channels are programed to "hold" when the receiver can't find a signal so your ignition will not shut off. Bill
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM
VF84sluggo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcbill

Sluggo,
With the JR Radio you can only program the failsafe on the throttle. All other channels are programed to ''hold'' when the receiver can't find a signal so your ignition will not shut off. Bill
Ok, this probably explains it then. Any way around this?

Granted, this is a worst-case situation - radio failure - which probably means the loss of my plane. The engine going to idle in this case is ok. I do have the throttle failsafe set at idle and full down trim, so that in itself might shut the engine down. Being able to kill the engine via a switch on the throttle, separate from the choke servo, was my main goal here anyway.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:22 PM
jedijody

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba or Airtronics, real radios.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
VF84sluggo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Futaba or Airtronics, real radios.
Don't laugh...got a Futaba 12FG/R6014HS I use for my turbines. Just a matter of time before I switch my gas/glow birds over.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
jedijody

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought that might provoke a response.  Your throttle failsafe should suffice to shut down the engine in that unpleasant scenario where, like you said, the loss of an airplane is likely.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
VF84sluggo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought that might provoke a response.
What?! JR v Futaba get people to make comments? Nah, never heard of that!

Hell, having both JR and Futaba stuff, I get in fights with myself!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 PM
jedijody

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That could drive one to schizophrenia.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:17 AM
bcchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba or Airtronics, real radios.
Boy you did it now,but I agree 100%.
BC
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 AM
K-Bob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not having any direct experience with this product, I have a question. Judging by the name they have chosen "Opto" you would be led to believe they are a true isolated ignition kill switch. Why amI not seeingafiber optic xmitter/receiver? Do they use the term "Opto" as a misleading sales tool?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
tkg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The RDEXL kill switch has an opto chip on it. The tx and RX is built inot it. There is NO common battery or signal lead between in and out.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 AM
All Day Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob, you're right about that. Your engine generates a spark around 100 times a second. Each one of those has the potential of containing radio frequency components that fall within the band that your radio is operating on. They radiate around the ignition system as an electromagnetic field and are conducted within all its wires going to and from its batteries and spark plug. By bringing the control wire to the switch from the receiver you violate all the advice from the radio manufacturer to isolate the radio components from the ignition system by eight to 12 inches or as much as possible. It is possible to pick up this RF through conduction and radiation right into your receiver. A lot of the guys ignore that by doing what is convenient or less expense and get away with it. This gives them a sense of security that is very false. This is good because I hate to see guys go in but all you need is a few seconds of sparks that are on your frequency and you will lose control. A ground check is also irrelevant because those nasty few sparks on your RF may not occur at that time. What we really need here is a controlled test where the wire to the ignition module is excited by an RF signal in the bands we operate and a measurement made of the RF going into the line to the receiver and compare this to the Smart-Fly device. Dan.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
All Day Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tkg, the common line is the one coming from the reciever. Take a look at the Smart-Fly configuration. Dan.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM
MTK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

Bob, you're right about that. Your engine generates a spark around 100 times a second. Each one of those has the potential of containing radio frequency components that fall within the band that your radio is operating on. They radiate around the ignition system as an electromagnetic field and are conducted within all its wires going to and from its batteries and spark plug. By bringing the control wire to the switch from the receiver you violate all the advice from the radio manufacturer to isolate the radio components from the ignition system by eight to 12 inches or as much as possible. It is possible to pick up this RF through conduction and radiation right into your receiver. A lot of the guys ignore that by doing what is convenient or less expense and get away with it. This gives them a sense of security that is very false. This is good because I hate to see guys go in but all you need is a few seconds of sparks that are on your frequency and you will lose control. A ground check is also irrelevant because those nasty few sparks on your RF may not occur at that time. What we really need here is a controlled test where the wire to the ignition module is excited by an RF signal in the bands we operate and a measurement made of the RF going into the line to the receiver and compare this to the Smart-Fly device. Dan.
For those of you that fret the safety aspects of CDI ignition, look at this device http://www.tech-aero.net/

Not only does it isolate the signal side optically, it also uses the correct filtering in the circuit board (determined through much field testing with many radios and different CDIs) to eliminate any possibility of spurious signals getting through to the RX. In addition, it eliminates the need for a second battery and switch harness. One simple way to make the connection is to plug the device in a toggle switch channel like Retracts.

It has all the features of a kill switch from the TX plus eliminates the second battery/switch. The main RX battery can be any chemistry or voltage up to 12 V. Voltage delivered to the CDI is "programmable" or settable; normally factory set at 5.4V. For those set-ups that require light weight, it's a good option to consider.

Several hundred of these are in use for the past year and to my knowledge there has been no incident regarding RFI of device failure. I have three small gassies (40cc or less) in use today each set-up this way. Highly recommend it in lieu of other arrangements
Old 11-24-2010, 02:17 PM
montanacharlie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Jody
I see on Rcexel's website that Valleyview is a distributor however I cannot find the opto-kill on your website. Do you guys carry it or can get it?

Thanks
Charlie
Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 PM
jedijody

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, we have them. Our website is getting a complete overhaul, new layout and many items are going to be added in the near future, to order one just give me a call.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM
All Day Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Matt for the quote. You're the only one around, including my wife, who thinks what I say has any value. Let me assure you of one thing. There is no perfect filter. There is no RF filter that will block 72 MegaHertz to 2.4 GigaHertz. Even a good one would not cover such a broad band of frequencies. It would cost a fortune to develope test and be large and heavy. RF interference is like fishing. You can't see it but sometimes you catch a fish. That line from the receiver is a just like a fishing line. The best thing to do is avoid it altogether and use an optic fiber line like Smart-Fly does. By the way, I'm glad all the users are having good luck with the ones you recommend. I hope their luck continues. Dan.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is this kill switch comparable to the 42 percent one? http://www.42-percent-products.com/gas-accessories.htm

Jodi, what do they sell for?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan

Personally I'd agree that the fiber-optic cable style that Smart-Fly has would be my first & best choice as well.
However, I also just started using one from VVRC & 42% Products, called [link=http://www.valleyviewrc.com/42-Percent%20Products%20Opto%20Gas%20Kill%20Switch.ht m]Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch.......[/link]

Looks to be nearly identical to the Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill units.

In the end result, I'm happy if the (gas) fliers near me have SOME means of remotely killing their engines!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.