Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Walker machine 4.2

Hi Guys I'm new to gas engines. I have a zirolli Texan With a Walker Machine 4.2 in it. my problem is it just seems that it does not have alot of power. It likes to surge at full throttle it have replaced the plug. Tried different to cycle oils at 32-1. It has a C-H ignition in it. as far as timing goes I have no idea how to adjust it. I am swinging a 22-8. Does any one know about these engines? is it worth having? or do I just need to get a G62?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Walker machine 4.2

First off the prop is too small, get a 24-8 or 10....
    The Waller 4.2 is the best of the Sachs conversions and will outlat anything you put it on...
    Get a carb diaphragm rebuild kit and have someone check the timing..Look for rpm in the 7000 range without the muffler, less with one...
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok Thanks! I'll try the larger prop. But I dont have any one around that knows about the timing. And what would be the best oil to use and at what mixture?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

+It wa s chaninsaw...Go to Wally World and get a six pack of chainsaw oil, 3.2 oz to a gallon of regular gas....
    Timing is easy to check...
    turn on the igintiion with the spark plug out and resting on the cylinder slowly turn the crank CCW..When you hear the spark make a pencil line across the hub and crankcase..
    Turn igninon off...Measure the diameter of the hub at the pencil line...Multiply by .244...Put the piston at TDC...Measure the distance between the two pencil lines,, it should be the same as you got with the .244 multiplication....If not move the sensor until it is...If there is linkage between the carb and sensor the carb needs to be completely closed when making the adjustment...If not you have a syncro spark, timing is automatic...
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok Thanks! Will the timing being off cause the surging? I bought the airplane off my local hobby shop he built the plane 16 years ago. He only flew it a couple of times. and it was hanging in his shop for years until I bought it. Should I replumb the gas tank. Could this cause a problem?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re plumb the tank and rebuild the carb. timing off will not cause surging....Chances are the timing is OK....
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will any rebuild kit work?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You will have to get the carb number, all kits are carb specific....
    There could be 2 choices, Tillotson or Walbro...Most likely is a Walbro SDC 80 carb, the kit is D10 SDC. About $5 at a small engine shop...
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Antique

First off the prop is too small, get a 24-8 or 10....
    The Waller 4.2 is the best of the Sachs conversions and will outlat anything you put it on...
    Get a carb diaphragm rebuild kit and have someone check the timing..Look for rpm in the 7000 range without the muffler, less with one...
    AGree with Antique ,Walker was one of the best Sachs based engine built. Some people try and pass off other engines as Walkers because they were the best.
    BC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ryandl1

I'm the guy that worked at Walker Machine making the Walker Sachs. As for the carburetor issue I think I know what the problem is. Some of the Walker 4.2 engines used carburetors that had governors in them. Most airplane/engine combinations did not ever have any problems with this particular carburetor. Once in a great while the airframe engine combo would resonate at just the right frequency to unseat the governor which would allow more fuel into the engine and hence slow it down. The engine would run fine on the ground but , once in the air and the engine unloaded, the engine would go "rich" and no amount of needle valve adjustment would make the engine run right. The carburetor was used initially because it was the same one Sachs-Dolmar use on the 4.2 in their saws.

A 22 X 8 prop is undersize for the 4.2 engine. 24 x 10 what was normally used on a 4.2 .

I watch these threads from time to time to try and help those who have Walker engines. Some parts may still be available thru Precision Eagle (If they're still around?)as they had bought out the Walker Sachs line when we closed. The Walkers were renamed Precision Eaglets.

BCCHI, I'm sorry to hear about you closing shop. I hope you are able to recover from your medical challenge. Thank you very much for all your help when we were developing The Walker Sachs Engines.

Our Thoughts and Prayers are with you Bill,

Carlos G.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #84

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Darn you guys[:@] I was going to offer the guy $25.00 for the 4.2 and you went and ruined things. Now he knows he has a good engine.......
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats funny!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So is there anything about that problem?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We are still waiting for you to tell us which carb you have?
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All I know its a walbro.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm getting ready to go to work now so when I get home in the morning I'll take it off and see what I can find out. Thanks for all your help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jerk the carb and go down to the local chainsaw shop. Most likely they have the right kit hanging on the wall...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Carlos G
    Hi Ryandl1

I'm the guy that worked at Walker Machine making the Walker Sachs. As for the carburetor issue I think I know what the problem is. Some of the Walker 4.2 engines used carburetors that had governors in them. Most airplane/engine combinations did not ever have any problems with this particular carburetor. Once in a great while the airframe engine combo would resonate at just the right frequency to unseat the governor which would allow more fuel into the engine and hence slow it down. The engine would run fine on the ground but , once in the air and the engine unloaded, the engine would go ''rich'' and no amount of needle valve adjustment would make the engine run right. The carburetor was used initially because it was the same one Sachs-Dolmar use on the 4.2 in their saws.

A 22 X 8 prop is undersize for the 4.2 engine. 24 x 10 what was normally used on a 4.2 .

I watch these threads from time to time to try and help those who have Walker engines. Some parts may still be available thru Precision Eagle (If they're still around?)as they had bought out the Walker Sachs line when we closed. The Walkers were renamed Precision Eaglets.

BCCHI, I'm sorry to hear about you closing shop. I hope you are able to recover from your medical challenge. Thank you very much for all your help when we were developing The Walker Sachs Engines.

Our Thoughts and Prayers are with you Bill,

Carlos G.
    Them were the good old days, you could sell a ignition and make a nickle.
    I am getting stronger and the only time I have pain is when I am awake,breathe of cough.My ribs have all came loose in front do not no what they can do about that maybe put in some carbon fibre.
    BCCHI