Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What do you think?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do you think?

it's the starter part of a weedeater with a little piece of aluminum turned to fit the OD of the starter pawl thing and the OD to match the ID of the piece of PVC I had on hand, carved the PVC to the shark tooth shape about 1/4" deeper than the largest prop I planned to use it on (my biggest prop is a 22x8 I believe)
Old 11-27-2011, 06:52 PM
rangerfredbob

oops, double post, stupid weather...
Old 11-27-2011, 06:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a very large photo....easy to make smaller....hold the crt key down and spin the thumb-wheel on your mouse to make it the right size. Nice home built starter. Good job. Capt,n

Old 11-28-2011, 07:37 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

So very coincidental that this thread was brought back to life just now, as just this weekend my buddy Dale and myself started up my mag. gnition Zen G45 that had been laying idle since 1998. All I did was remove the spark plug to drain the oil I had put in the engine to guard against corrosion, opened up the carb to check the mesh filter and the diaphrams, spray the innards with carb cleaner, give it a good blow out incl. the needle seats with comp. air and buttoned it all back together. Connected it to a gas tank with 32:1 fuel, and with both needles opened at 2 turns, choked the engine to fill the carb with fuel, and after a few spins on it's Terroid spring the engine roared into life. Just can't beat the overall reliability of a mag ignition.

Karol
Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup...you are right. A mag ignition is great and so is the Zenoah built engines. They will out-last us!!! Capt,n
Old 11-29-2011, 03:12 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have one NIB G23 late edition and one NIB Ralph Cunningham G26 Lite that I have been holding on to, waiting for my cataract operation to be done and over with. They, or I should say, their siblings, were wonderful engines. I still have a new, unrun, Brillelli 36cc engine also. Talk about rare these days.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Ed,

I am still kicking myself as I recently let one the latest models G23 slip through my fingers. It was almost NIB and mine for the taking, but procrastination on my part caused me to lose it.

Karol
Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 AM
rangerfredbob

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I got a very large photo....easy to make smaller....hold the crt key down and spin the thumb-wheel on your mouse to make it the right size. Nice home built starter. Good job. Capt,n[img][/img]

Sorry about that, I think I even shrunk it from the original size On all the computers I've seen it on it is a reasonable size but if you have your resolution set low the pic will be large...
Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ggraham500

Please explain what a ''CD unit'' is. Is this a magneto system?
CD means capacitive discharge. Some utility engines use a CD ignition meaning that the points have been done away with and a capacitive discharge system replaces them. However, they still have a magneto to generate the spark. An electronic capacitive discharge system (ECDI) replaces the magneto with a multivibrator and a coil that generates the spark and stores the high voltage in a capacitor and discharges it through a thyristor. However, some people simply refer to the ECDI system we use in some of our engines as CDI, which works for most though not entirely correct.