Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Pull-Pull on throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pull-Pull on throttle

I am wondering how pull-pull would work on my DLE 30cc throttle set-up? I do not have enough ny-rod to reach. I do have some high grade tubing and was thinking of running super heavy braided fishing line through the tubing to throttle arm. I was going to use the arm on servo to pull the line & let the tension on the carb spring to pull back.

Also what I do not like about ny-rod is that it changes length with temperature. Capt,n

I may just try it...if it seems like any problem I can replace it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
hanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pull-Pull on throttle

Huh?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:33 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a failure waiting to happen to me...[sm=surprised.gif]
Old 11-17-2010, 05:34 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The fishing line will change length just like the Nyrod?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Captinjohn,

I say go for it! Only question I have is; is the braided fishing line metal? If yes, could that cause an interference problem? If the line IS metal and IT does cause a problem, how about using a narrow weedwhacker line for the pul-pull. Just blurbing out loud.

Good Luck.

Mark

Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YOur Nyrod will not change length enough to even be detectable in engine performance, maybe a couple of thousandths of an inch with an 80 degree change in temperature over a 12 inch length.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM
aussiesteve

A couple of years ago, I paid a guy to assemble a plane for me. He did pretty much exactly what you are suggesting. It worked fine and that airframe still flies today with that setup (He used Kevlar line for the Cable) The minus is that you are relying 100% on the spring to close the throttle off so you would really want a second option of killing the engine fom the TX (Such as a choke servo or TX operated kill switch).

IF it is simply a shortage of material you are worried about, do you have any small carbon tube and 2-56 or 4-40 threaded rod that will fit into it?
Use some good Epoxy paste (JB Weld is best of all) and glue some threaded rod inside each end of the carbon tube. sort of a poor mans version of the Central Hobbies rod ends.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM
captinjohn

Well after cooking my wife some Fresh fish (Steelhead) on the oudoor grill...I hooked up the pull-pull on tthe throttle. It is just about a strait line to servo...but used about 10 inch tube for it to run in. I worked it by hand first at servo end....super smooth. I then hooked it up and tested it with TX. Seems real nice.

I got the line from a guy that buys the best line. He fishes Muskies with $25-$35 dollar lures that look like giant rapellas. This line is so strong....you could rip the arm off the carb if you wanted too. I am going to test for strech with another piece tomorrow. If I remember right...it does not. I have seen guys break fishing rods by jerking to hard to set the hook on braided line. Capt,nPS, I do have a cut-off button on TX.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Well after cooking my wife some Fresh fish (Steelhead) on the oudoor grill...I hooked up the pull-pull on tthe throttle. It is just about a strait line to servo...but used about 10 inch tube for it to run in. I worked it by hand first at servo end....super smooth. I then hooked it up and tested it with TX. Seems real nice.
Hi John,

As long as the line is in a straight run, I cannot see why this wouldn't work quite well!
There are some good leaders used on fishing lines that are metal. That woudl also work.
Or an offcut from a pull-pull wire
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Hi John,

As long as the line is in a straight run, I cannot see why this wouldn't work quite well!
There are some good leaders used on fishing lines that are metal. That woudl also work.
Or an offcut from a pull-pull wire
I kinda wanted to stay away from anything metal acting like a antenna. I have used steel wire in Florida for fishing Spanish Mackeral....they tear your line up fast!!! Real fun to catch!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
apalsson

probably fun to eat too !

mate, as long as you use plastic linkage, they are no more of an antenna than 2-56 (or 4-40) music wire
Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 PM
dave de
My Feedback: (12)

sounds like you never met a fish you didn't like
Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: dave de

sounds like you never met a fish you didn't like
<hr />You got that right...as long as the fish was a good fighter.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any control wil work in pull-pull,as you've found out. The question is why? being a little short on some byrod did not rule out other materials equally suitable. Nor did it rule out a trip to the hobby shop. Gtta show them some love once in awhile. So come on and admit it, you just wanted to see if you could, right?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep meaning to hook up a throttle like this, and then load test while the servo is pulling full throttle against the spring to see what the servo current draw is, and if it is excessive. Has anyone done this??

AV8TOR
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
captinjohn

TOM, I was going to use nyrod, and I thought I had some. I just gave up looking and did try the braided line. But you are right....it is something I was going to try sometime. .You knowme... I love trying out ideas once in a while. The real test is when I run the engine...maybe tomorrow!!!! Best Regards, Capt,n
Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Depending on the length of the servo arm, I doubt there is enough load to worry about. I left the spring on my Taurus 43 and have no trouble with the batteries. Most of the throttle springs don't have much tension. A longer arm on the carb will reduce the load on the servo.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 PM
aussiesteve

I started leaving the throttle springs connected on all of my engines about 2 years ago. Partly because I was too lazy to disconnect them (It does take about 2 seconds after all) but mainly because it gives me a shutoff when I make a mistake and have a linkage disconnect (which ironically hasn't happened to me on an engine that has the spring connected). I don't know the exact load figure but I do know it has made absolutley no difference to the number of flights I get in per flight pack charge.

Actually, thinking about this since reading the OP. This method could be an interesting way around some of the side carb engines that are difficult to align a throttle rod to a servo. Maybe some fishing rollers with a cable to change the direction of the pull pull

Go on captin - you know you want to experiment more - this is a hobby after all
Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I have been using a "pull" arrangement on my gas engines for years with no problems
at all. I use Berkley 30# Nylon coated fishing leader. Works just fine.

I have never tested the load from the return spring on the servo - didn't think
it necessary.

It really does simplify throttle hook-up - at least for me.

Works for me.

Dan
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

I started leaving the throttle springs connected on all of my engines about 2 years ago. Partly because I was too lazy to disconnect them (It does take about 2 seconds after all) but mainly because it gives me a shutoff when I make a mistake and have a linkage disconnect (which ironically hasn't happened to me on an engine that has the spring connected). I don't know the exact load figure but I do know it has made absolutley no difference to the number of flights I get in per flight pack charge.

Actually, thinking about this since reading the OP. This method could be an interesting way around some of the side carb engines that are difficult to align a throttle rod to a servo. Maybe some fishing rollers with a cable to change the direction of the pull pull

Go on captin - you know you want to experiment more - this is a hobby after all
This was why I asked. I have some throttle cable assemblies I saved off of various yard equipment machines that have a nice swept 90 degree brass fitting on the end. If the servo amp draw is not a problem, they would be ideal for carbs that don't line up with the firewall for the throttle hookup. I have used 90 degree bellcrank setups before, but that always introduces a bit of slop in the hookup no matter how carefully you try to do it....

AV8TOR
Old 11-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

With a true pull-pull (two lines under tension) you would be placing a side load onto the shaft connected to the throttle arm. Add the vibration present in the motor and you might end up with excessive wear, with the debris going right into the engine. I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
captinjohn

I would leave the spring in place no mater if I used ny-rod or not. That spring keeps the throttle plate from vibrating ...maybe wearing the fit it shoud have. The pull at the servo is hardly excessive with a long arm on the throttle shaft. I even made a neat little adjustment set-up at servo end. I do not have time right now ...but I could hook up a digital meter in series with the servo & measure Milli-Amp draw as I work the throttle. lots of fun stuff.....lets see ....whats next!

Capt,n
Old 11-18-2010, 01:34 PM
clivemc

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I keep meaning to hook up a throttle like this, and then load test while the servo is pulling full throttle against the spring to see what the servo current draw is, and if it is excessive. Has anyone done this??

AV8TOR
its no different to having the spring resisting a solid pushrod. I did test this once, cant remeber what it was but it was so small it wasnt worth remembering
Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM
clivemc

I am wondering how pull-pull would work on my DLE 30cc throttle set-up? I do not have enough ny-rod to reach. I do have some high grade tubing and was thinking of running super heavy braided fishing line through the tubing to throttle arm. I was going to use the arm on servo to pull the line & let the tension on the carb spring to pull back.

Also what I do not like about ny-rod is that it changes length with temperature. Capt,n

I may just try it...if it seems like any problem I can replace it.
nyrod does change length - all be it very little. BUT i have seen a gas engine using nyrod that setup in the cold workroom that would not cut off when used on a hot summers day! and it worked first thing in the morning. that is why i dont rely on throttle cut but also always have an opto cut off, causeI do use nyrod sometimes if im looking for an easy way out to setup difficult linkages
Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I say it will work fine and for a long time. The only downsides are, current draw and the fact that your servo will not last as long. The motor will always be pulling against the spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.