Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G45

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zenoah G45

I have few different planes with Zenoah G62 and GT80 with spring starter to fire them up. I like the spring set up which make starting a breeze.
I am finishing a plane which will have a Zenoah G45 without a spring start.
My question is this......
I never started a Zenoah without a spring starter, is it difficult to start a G45 without the spring starter?

All the help as usual is appreciated....

Thanks

Fabio
Old 11-26-2010, 09:02 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G45

Most all mag ignition Zenoahs can be hand started quite easily though some folks have difficulty doing so. The trick or rather the way to have them hand start fairly easily is in the positioning of the prop. Follow the instructions regarding this carefully and you will find them quite responsive to hand starting.

Karol
Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 AM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a video of how I would start my Zenoah G45.If the engine is new,it will be a real bear to start.mine was new and it was hard to start then,but after getting it started,I let it run for 30 minutes at around 2000 rpms,after that it started a lot easier using this method.
I also found that the zenoah likes a lot of fuel when trying to start it.Hope this helps.
I now fly a 2.3m Comp Arf with a DL50.much easier to start with electronic ignition.

Roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ij-qzDVdpc
Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 AM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

They start just easily or not as a G62......You need a spring starter (or electric starter or electronic ignition) if you want to fly on a predictable basis.
JD
Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

To each his own.

Karol
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

To each his own.

Karol
My political correct response is that I have learned not to judge people that can't start a mag equipped engine. (That really means I really just don't give a d-mn any more!) Some just don't have the understanding of mechanical things to be able to learn to start these engines. Other people might not have the physical dexterity or strength to accomplish the task. Others may have physical limitations or perhaps they might be a stroke victim, etc. For those people its easier to just get the "spring" or get an engine with EI.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
flygilmore

ORIGINAL: jerdavis

They start just easily or not as a G62......You need a spring starter (or electric starter or electronic ignition) if you want to fly on a predictable basis.
JD
Bull......just 'cause you can't (as mentioned) doesn't mean it is that way for everyone- follow the directions w/ the prop, get the carb good and wet and you'll be fine I'm sure. If not, post back here. People been starting them this way for years and years....mine all start just as easy as ANY EI engine I have ever had!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 AM
RCGARY
My Feedback: (35)

Does anyone out there know if you can flip the manifold and carb (as one unit) upside down to allow the needles to be on the bottom and the throttle and choke to be on the top?

Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated. It would sure make the throttle hook up easier on the plane I am putting together.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done the same to my DLE engine which also has a Walbro carb.
I would feel confident that you would be just fine doing so.
In worst case scenario you can always turn it back around in the stock position.

Good luck
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your G45 has a internal impulse hole you have to follow the path back to the crankcase and see if it is still open with the carb turned the way you want it?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

G-45 has external pump line. Just flip the carb and make up a new pump line (if needed).
TKG
Old 07-26-2012, 05:01 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is an alternate carburetor insulator available from Horizon that mounts the carb to where the throttle arm is a straight pull.

It is also made like TKG mentions with a external pulse line.