Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE plug question

Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Default DLE plug question

I recently noticed the plugs supplied by DLE with new engines are different than the cheap Chinese NGK copies they were using before. Every part from the electrodes to the contact tip are different now .... and they are branded DLE on the insulator. Are these plugs usable now or still a throw away part? Just curious.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DLE plug question

They are only slightly better than the old ones IMO, I wouldn't rely on them without carrying an NGK for backup. We still supply genuine NGK plugs with all DLE engines we sell.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 PM
dubs1946

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi the only thing that DLE has got wrong why i dont know but the Chinese plugs have a guaranteed 100% fail rate mine lasted 1.5 hours running in on the bench i was curious to see how long it would last. Throw any Chinese plug away and get a genuine NGK.
The Chinese plugs have killed 2 good aircraft in our club and bad news spreads fast.
Dave.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: jedijody

They are only slightly better than the old ones IMO, I wouldn't rely on them without carrying an NGK for backup. We still supply genuine NGK plugs with all DLE engines we sell.
I was really only curious for other people around here .... I have a good supply of NGK plugs and rarely change one anyway. It is hard for people to understand when you tell them to throw away the plug that just came with their new engine then install a new CM-6.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

even the cheapest of cheapest non-resistor plugs rarely fail. so what makes these any different?

~ people gapping them wrong?
~ too lean/rich?
~ modding the plug in some way?

can understand the 2nd reasonfor break-in when people are constantly fudging around with the mixtures.
I just ohmed my DLE plug.. its on par with everyother non-r plug. enlighten me please.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

even the cheapest of cheapest non-resistor plugs rarely fail. so what makes these any different?
What makes them different is obvious, they fail.

Even when they fail they will ohm check the same as a new one. You aren't the first to ask these questions or try to figure out the reason. Frankly, it's not worthspending much time onwhen the cure is only a couple of bucks.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Experten109/40

What makes them different is obvious, they fail.

Even when they fail they will ohm check the same as a new one. You aren't the first to ask these questions or try to figure out the reason. Frankly, it's not worthspending much time onwhen the cure is only a couple of bucks.
fail.. ha-ha, funny. I'd look at user error. over-tighning, cracking the insulater, etc.
and its not about the money.. obviously.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
jedijody

You think this is my first rodeo? I see more DLE spark plugs in a month than you will ever see in your life and believe me when I tell you, there is no error in this user when it comes to spark plugs or tuning. Your single 20cc engine and one spark plug is not much of a sample size for one to make a definitive determination on the overallquality of any part of it. Stick around, do some reading in the DLE threads, start running some gas through your 20, don't carry a spare plug when you go to the field, you'll see.

....its not about the money.. obviously.
You're right, it's about reality.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Experten109/40

You think this is my first rodeo? I see more DLE spark plugs in a month than you will ever see in your life and believe me when I tell you, there is no error in this user when it comes to spark plugs or tuning. Your single 20cc engine and one spark plug is not much of a sample size for one to make a definitive determination on the overallquality of any part of it. Stick around, do some reading in the DLE threads, start running some gas through your 20, don't carry a spare plug when you go to the field, you'll see.

....its not about the money.. obviously.
You're right, it's about reality.
nice. what next? you gonna tell me to go crash me plane?
oh wait, you just did...
I just threw out an idea... thats all. but I see you'd rather
call me a retard the p/c way. feel better now?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 PM
jedijody

You sound like my wife, putting words in my mouth that I didn't say, I would never tell or wish that anyone crash their plane, that's bad karma.

I gave factual data based on thousands of hours working with hundreds of DL/DLE engines ever since the first ones were imported into the US. You, with your extensive experience with one engine, one spark plug, and less than a gallon of gas, laughed at it. I don't think there is any question who is more credible here.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

nice. what next? you gonna tell me to go crash me plane?
oh wait, you just did...
I just threw out an idea... thats all. but I see you'd rather
call me a retard the p/c way. feel better now?
I think you are way off-base. Jody gives excellent answers on engines based upon his strong experiences. I have purchased 5 gas engines (DLE, MT & CRRC) from Jody. Everytime they have been winners. He has serviced other gas engines that I didn't purchase from him and each time he gave the exact same excellent service. I also have met Jody as well at the Toledo show this past year. A line of people were waiting to speak with him and gain from his knowledge base. He gives well thought out information and speaks through a lot of experience. The wait was well worth it.

There are several people whose advice I follow on RCUniverse ... JediJody, Antique, TOM, BCCHI are a few ... they REALLY know their stuff. I am smart enough to realize that I can listen to them and follow their advice, or not listen, gain from my own experiences and go back to what they said the first time.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Yup every village seems to have one.....
Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ignore him Jody.

I'm certain his vast experience and background with small gassers is overwelming. Jody sees a lot of engines but at any time I have more engines on hand than he'll see in a month. I run them all and I would never, ever, run one of the Chinese plugs that come with DLE and some of the other Chinese engines anywhere but on a test bench. Their failure rate isn;t quite 100% but it's close. The only real separation in life cycle with them is the time of failure. Experience of a great many people, including those that run engines for a living, developed the information that people share. If one person, with no notable engine history, suddenly does better than anyone else ever has with a product I'm going to be a little suspect of the information. I mean, out of say 3,000-5,000 engines you pull 1 for the test sample and call the test a success? Get real. If it was that easy to develop reliable data all my tests would be completed a lot faster.

What makes a Chinese plug different? Quality of components and assembly of course. Anyone can crack insulators, that happens all the time, but the plugs themselves are not your friend. Too rich or too lean won't break a plug. How do I know? because I've run tests on hundreds of engines, including tests specific to the spark plug. Yu can even run an engine so hot you stick the pistons without taking a plug outside a reasonable level of usefulness. Too rich simply means you need to clean the plug.

A good plug will last most RC flyers a couple or three years of flying time. Over 100 hours of engine run time. Simply inspect and regap once a year. If buying a good plug for $3.00 to $6.00 or so is a burden for people, take up golf. You can't afford to fly anything.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
where can i get a genuine NGK plug? thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Most engine dealers stock them as well as chainsaw/lawnmower shops, auto stores, etc. If you want to buy them online boats.net is about the cheapest.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: Super08

Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Citation01
My Feedback: (69)

Jody,

We haven't met or talked yet, but from what I have read and heard about you and the DLE engines, I would take your advice to the bank. As for these other so called "experts", don't waste your time and just consider the SOURCE.

Sounds like your wife and mine are identical twins! Don't ya just love it?

John
Old 12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
mpascual

My experience and what my customers tell me, with hundreds gas R/C engines and hundreds of spark plugs :

NGK CM6/Honda : good spark plug. Too expensive here.
Chinnese spark plugs :
I have tested at least 6 different CM6 clones. Most of them aren't reliable, and will last few time, but NOT all performs the same.

DL/DLE : don't last much time, many times fails in the break-in . Better to replace by a NGK or RCEXL before put the airplane on air.
RCEXL CM6 stainless steel top : same performance than NGK CM6 .
RCEXL ICM6 : very good performance, and when the engine is not well set on low needle, help to start. Not tested too much time yet, but i like this spark-plug, same price or less than geniune NGK CM6 here in my country.
I've mounted the stainless steel top RCEXL CM6 on most engines i repair and tested, and no one claims against this spark plug. Cheaper than NGK ...

Note :
On the CRRC bag, the CRRC CM6 spark.
From left :
The DLE CM6, JC CM6 , RCEXL stainless steel top, RCEXL ICM6, HONDA marked NGK CM6 , and the NGK CM6.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33944.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1529755  
Old 12-03-2010, 01:50 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

~ people gapping them wrong?
~ too lean/rich?
~ modding the plug in some way?

can understand the 2nd reasonfor break-in when people are constantly fudging around with the mixtures.
I just ohmed my DLE plug.. its on par with everyother non-r plug. enlighten me please.
Maybe you have better gas where you live together with a good oil for lube. I am now interested why you have a better out-come with sparkplugs. I am all ears! Caot,n
Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Truckracer

They are only slightly better than the old ones IMO, I wouldn't rely on them without carrying an NGK for backup. We still supply genuine NGK plugs with all DLE engines we sell.
Thanks for the answers. Sorry this thread turned into a battle for you though.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:42 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Super08

+1 [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
summerwind

that's it.......i'm gonna buy 2 more DLE engines so i can become a park splug expert too.............sheesh, some people
Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: summerwind

that's it.......i'm gonna buy 2 more DLE engines so i can become a park splug expert too.............sheesh, some people
You get extra credit if you buy a few Honda generators.[sm=bananahead.gif]
If not for them we might not have CM-6 plugs.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Experten109/40

man some of you people need to seriously grow up.. I make one comment on one possible cause.. and I get roasted. hmmmm.
well take a look at my P-40 build over in the warbird forums, then see if I'm the village idiot. so sorry if I stepped on your 3D & Edge
toes. I do have some useful info on a sucseful install of the DLE20 into a WarBird, but whatev.

I do appologize in an open forum to JediJody though. other then that. adios.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 20cc engine. Man, I'm really impressed. Next time you exit the pre-school engine playground come on over to an engine shop and learn a little about what others do and how they came to know enough to do those things.

It's not just about volts and ohms. It's also about heat and pressure. But someone that knew anything about plugs already was aware of that.

The problem was in your delivery. You made definitive statements without any evidence in support, while engaging in a debate about a subject that had a well established foundation of facts that blew your position out of the water. Yet you continued to argue with one of the people that helped establish those facts. Worse, the person you were argueing with had originally been a srong supporter of the DLE plugs but through the experience of replacing a great many of them after failure learned the error of that position.

You came unarmed to a gun fight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.