Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas engines or eletric motors ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gas engines or eletric motors ?

This will be my test
I am doing the KMP Corsair with the Hacker I am going top of the line in cost because in fairness if I want out of the box conceinace the first time out I dont want to play on the budget side .

Then on gas I am going to try a gas engine in my CMP BF 109 . There is a few 'rail' type mounted gas engines in the 120 power size that should work great .
this way for spring 2011 (God Willing ) I will attempt flying both and see how they perform, and all the support ect for both .
You "gas" guys did a great job educating me on the benifits (again without the lectures ) and same with the eflight guys .
I got a lot info on eflight in another forum but its was just as cival !!!
Thanks , as Mike stated this has been a great forum .
Please keep it going as I think we can all benifit .
Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Mike Miller

Wow, what a civil discusion we have going here! Good job everyone.

I have been mulling a similar question over in my head, concerning the next 70 inch or so sized sport plane. Actually I have an older ARF in my basement that is a very light built Katana that was marketed by Ultra R/C. I have some concerns that my 28-30 cc engines might succeed in destroying the airframe on this one since it built so light. I keep looking at the cost of outfitting it with electric gear which would eliminate the vibrations but the batteries needed to fly this thing are significant.

Like most of you that said you fly electric as well, so do I. So far the largest one I have is a .25 sized sport/airobat. The electrics are a lot of fun to fly but only in light winds and on nice days (at least in the small airframes I have) I live where the wind blows seamingly all the time, so my little park flyers are not getting worn out.

I second the motion on flying gassers and using A123 batteries. These batteries are simply wonderful and I have not identified any bad habits that they have. A123's love high charge rates as well as high dishcarge rates. They are not prone to catching themselves on fire, and don't even seem to get all that warm. Soon I am going to build up a pack of them to fly in my small electric planes. For the gas installation, I fly a single A123 2300 mah two cell setup, with an IBEC purchased from Syssa to power both the receiver/servos and the electronic ignition. No problems whatsoever with RF interference (knock on wood).

Mike
The Tech Aero IBEC that Todd sells is well optimized (thru design and testing) to largely eliminate RFI. There is no gasoline set-up that will totally eliminate spurious RFI from the ignition system but the IBEC comes close. I've flown mine this past year for about 200 flights and had not had a single issue. The SAP is an outstanding little gassie also.

Mike, what kind of flying time to you get in your set-up (2300 mah Li-ion) and what kind of flying do you do? Are you regulating the voltage?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

''Real airplanes have two wings and round engines'' the saying went. I would like to immortalize ''Real airplanes make noise''!!

AV8TOR
HA!! I like it but let me paraphrase it a little ....''Real airplanes make noise.....quietly''[/b]
HOWZAT?
To quote Larry the Cable Guy:

That's like wiping before you poop, it just don't make sense.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM
Can you charge you EI on the way to the field and get power for .....how many flights?
I was thinking it was going to be a big deal to get the EI battery charged .
One last thing , what about interferance with EI and receivers
I run 2000 MaH NiMh battery packs on both Ign & Rx (4cell/5Cell). My charger is 12v duel charger that charges both ign/Rx and runs off a battery in the back of my truck on the way to the field. I have never charged either at the field. The ign is inside the engine mount between the firewall and engine, and the Rx is in the tail just behind the wing, so Ive never had a problem with interference.

ORIGINAL: w8ye
Due to the danger of fire while recharging a LiPo battery, you are taking a real chance charging your LiPo's on the way to the field
No Lipo's = No problem.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
scooterinvegas

Then on gas I am going to try a gas engine in my CMP BF 109 . There is a few 'rail' type mounted gas engines in the 120 power size that should work great .
DLE 20 would be perfect and use good oil. Many gasser guys like Stihl hp ultra. Very good oil, and you can find it at most stihl dealers. I personally use Motul, but Im weird like that.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

ORIGINAL: MTK

HA!! I like it but let me paraphrase it a little ....''Real airplanes make noise.....quietly''[/b]
HOWZAT?
To quote Larry the Cable Guy:

That's like wiping before you poop, it just don't make sense.
You're a guy that just bores holes in the sky, don't ya? It's perfectly understandable that you wouldn't understand
Old 12-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Mike Miller

Mattk,
I am finding that a 12 minute flight( give or take ) is using fairly close to 350 mah. This is running both ignition and radio system. I am an old, less than bold pilot, so the answer to flying type would be airbatics and simply enjoying the day and no 3D stuff.

Reminds me of the sign in the airport:

We have old pilots
We have bold pilots
We have NO old, bold pilots

I find I have changed through the years to the first set, and I am not going to make any brash statements past that!

Mike
Old 12-19-2010, 03:48 PM
LDM

scoot , thanks for the tip , as you drive to the field your charging your ei battery , does that give you enought time on the charge to get adequit flight times on the ei ?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As usual when something like this comes up, it is going to be a "Ford/Chevy" type thing.

For me, electric park flyers are sometimes fun. Anything bigger and it is glow up to .60 size, and gasoline from there on up.

AV8TOR
Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
scooterinvegas

scoot , thanks for the tip , as you drive to the field your charging your ei battery , does that give you enought time on the charge to get adequit flight times on the ei ?
My battery's are never close to dead and the dry lake is about 40 min away, so yes. The battery's are fully charged, so I have plenty of power to fly. I don't normally take only one plane. If both need to be charged, I charge the one I'm going to fly first and charge the 2nd while I'm flying the 1st.

ORIGINAL: Mike Miller

I am finding that a 12 minute flight( give or take ) is using fairly close to 350 mah. This is running both ignition and radio system.
You run your Ign & Rx on the same battery? I run Spektrum Rx, so I like to run a dedicated 6.0 or 6.6 battery to my Rx.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

One thing, big gas size brushless planes sound crazy
Old 12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Mike Miller

Hey Scooter...
Yes, I run everything off one A123 battery. The receiver gets unregulated power straight from the LiFePO4 so the servos are nice and quick on six volts plus. The reciever controls the ignition through a spare channel and also send power up the same wire to the IBEC. On board the IBEC is among other things a regulator to lower the battery voltage for the electronic ignition. The setup works perfectly and saves quite a bit of weight by not having two batteries on board. Here is the web site on the IBEC http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 PM
LDM

"As usual when something like this comes up, it is going to be a "Ford/Chevy" type thing.

For me, electric park flyers are sometimes fun. Anything bigger and it is glow up to .60 size, and gasoline from there on up. "

AV8TOR

Not really , let me explane , typically in every forum and (its been tried in this one and ignored ) its black and white because the forum members simply lose track of the real point of RCU .I would assume orginaters wanted a place that you would post , enjoy , educate , learn , laught , ect ect . When we simply choose to be "right " we are experts (or assumed to be ) and that is when we stop learning .
See in this thread , I dont really care passiontly about eletric , gas or glow , what I am searching for is technoligical information to make the hobby enjoyable for the reasons I stated . So in the end , everyones answers who actually contribute is worth something to me in the direction that they may be passionate about , I am sure you and others know what I mean . Look at all the post in this thread , if I were a publisher wanting to publish a book on pros and cons of eflight vs gas , you can easily see the post that would be eliminated (including the one that I am typeing right now )

So again , thanks to everyone that is provideing some incredible facts on the true core of the original post .
Would also love to hear if there a brand or ranking of gas engines from good to bad .
Example(just an example) dont get wiered out over the rank lol (in glow 4 stroke )
Funny observation on this ranking in glow -I was selling (new) an engine in all three top brands listed with normal discounts to each brand off list price , the hits to the ads were -(see below )
4 stroke
1)OS Max-800hits
2)Saito - 575 hits
3)Magnum 400 hits
4)ASP -did not have one to sell
Please keep posting some great info
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM
scooterinvegas

Would also love to hear if there a brand or ranking of gas engines from good to bad .
Sounds like you need to start a thread with a "poll".

But "best" and "best value" are two different things. This is where engine's like the DLE cloud the waters. People that own DLE's for the most part, love them. But if the DLE 55 and the DA 50R was the same price, well, the DA would most likely out sell the DLE.

So, "best" is subjective at best. At the top would be such brands as Moki, 3W and DA. At the bottom would be names that would resemble the sound silverware makes after you throw a hand full down a flight of stairs.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
LDM

"sound silverware makes after you throw a hand full down a flight of stairs" now that is classic lol
ok how about best in QC ... lets start there
Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 AM
GerKonig

You want sound whit that? Well, w/the obvious exception or the Moki radial, all gas powerplants we use (not counting turbine power) make, well, weed trimmer noise... My gas powered planes do not sound at all like a Super cub, A J3 or a Hawk. But, the future is at hand:

http://modelsolutions.ca/videogallery.htm

I like the sound of the firt one (Some Fokker I think), and the Turbo Pilatus:-) Heck, the whistling sound of a big electirc P51 on a fast fly-by sounds way more like the real thing then a Zenoah powered one... Of course, adding real sound does not come free, it's about $200... Of course, it still is cheaper than a Moki radial:-) (And has more applications)

There is a difference between real airplane engine noise, and our Zenoah's (or whatever) plain noise.

Gerry
Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 AM
LDM

gerry that is fantastic , thanks for posting , i am actually looking for a sound system for my KMP corsair !!!
Where do you fly in Levitttown , I am over in Lancaster
Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have had a few electrics and a lot of glow. I don't see how either is more labor intensive than the other. Both are as hard as the other to build. With electics you have to charge a lot of batteries and wait for them to charge or carry a lot of expensive packs. With glow you just gas and go. No waiting. Filling the tank may be slightly more labor than charging, but at least there is no waiting.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

My engines last forever; my batteries absolutely do not....
Ihate batteries. When they make small fuel cells I'll try electric again.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 AM
pilotpete2

Mike,
I run IBE's in my gassers, the nice thing is that if you do want to run two batteries and switches for redundancy, both your receiver and ignition have a redundant power source[8D]
Pete
Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Mike Miller

Hey Pete, good to see you.

That is correct, it's simple enough to hook up a second battery and have some more failure points covered. I keep mulling it over in my mind and can't decide if I really need an extra battery or not. I know with my flying style that I really don't need two 2300 mah batteries in there. I simply don't use that many amp hours when I fly. I also wonder just how often a battery or switch failure happens. I am not saying that they don't but I don't think I have ever seen one.

Now if I could have redundant smart thumbs, that would be a keeper!

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
pilotpete2

I'll give a thumbs up to the redundant smart thumbs[8D]
My larger gasser is in the 30cc class, and I don't see myself going bigger. I run dual 1100mAh A123's in the YAK 54, with both receiver and ignition, I rarely use more than 40% of the 2200mAh capacity on a typical flying day, according to my Cellpro Multi 4 charger.
While switch failures are not that frequent, I'd rather have two switch harnesses in parallel on a larger plane.
I had a solder joint fail in a heavy duty switch harness, one of the ones with the charge jack built in. It definitely caused some glitching in the air, but I was able to land the plane safely. This incident made me go with dual packs and switches in the YAK, the 4 Star 60, no, that just got a new switch harness
Pete
Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You are missing the social factor of all the electric guys setting around at the field talking to each other while their batteries charge.
but hold one...he fly for about 2-3 hours!!! thats not enough time to charge a pack!!! o well he will need to be at the field about 4 hours more, but not bad at all...more talking and social activity lol.

For me, fill the tank, flip and lets make noise.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I flew for years during the morning hours before the other guys came around. So I'm accustomed to flying with just one or two other pilots and we take turns.

When the crowd shows up, I stop flying and help the newbies and socialize. I go home at dark.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM
LDM

Most guys that i know that are flying eletric are not chareging off there cars , they charge at home and at a self made charge station (like a field box ) .But many bring there planes ready to go and when there done they dont recharge (again just an observation ) .

Interesting enought , if you google "gas rc engines" you dont easily get to great sources . Tower seems to sell there own brand and now I guess there importing the DLE line ?
Hobby King has some great prices on gas engine with bery good reviews , so that seems like one good source .
Horison (my current and only gas engine )G26ei , seem to offer good selection but I dont see many in use on RCU .
Its actually easier to find info of the eletric selections then gas , again maybe I am just looking in the wrong area .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.