Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Are All Rcxl CDI units the same?

Hello Capt, Could you explain how to hook a timing light to the engine?
    I have an old inductive light. Was thinking a short piece of wire between ign cap and plug.
    I would also think I need to ground it some way. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Steve
    ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I will place my airplane on my airplane test stand and put a timing lught on the engine soon. If things go good.. I should learn and post.some data here. Hope this photo uploads...pretty hard to do lately!

Capt,n

Here isone wayto hook up a up a timing light....there may be other ways. A 12 volt cycle battery powers the timing light. Capt,n

Added another photo....same setup...different view. It was sparking good as I took the photo. Just a test!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp42178.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	1541669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89297.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	1541670  
    Imagination is far more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

http://www.lambertsrc.com/

You completely lost me with that picture. Don't see how it could work.

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

In post #52 I had a neat device I got from Jody who runs Valley View RC. Yo uplug the little device into where the sensor pickup would normally go. With the dial you can make the spark fire from a real slow RPM to a very high RPM. At high RPM the timing light really puts out a lot of bright light! Using the little RPM device is a good way to simulate the engine running & check for radio interference in you airplane set-up without even flying! Yes sir....Jody has all the neat stuff you would want to have. Capt,n

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

You completely lost me with that picture. Don't see how it could work.

AV8TOR
    It is a photo I took a few months back. The green wire is just a extra wire I installed in the timing light to prevent arc-ing inside it. The RPM simulator control is in place of the normal sensor wire. The actual pic-up for timimg light is to the coil spring...one end in spark plug boot...other end to 2nd spark plug boot. I will actually use a tiny copper wire (stuck in spark plugboot) when I do this on a complete engine. I will still use the green wire to light for safty ground. I will take another photo of the atual way I would hook the light to a run-able engine....instead of cyl head & RPM spark tester. Sorry about the extras that do not need to be uesd to time a running engine. Capt,n

Better way, and one that works every time, is to slice the outer shielding and pull it back from the high tension lead. Then you attach the light probe to the high tension lead. That's why I mentioned you would be sacrificing an ignition to test purposes. I have more neat stuff than Jody does neener, neener, neener.
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those who have a need for a portable timing light Flaming River (FR1001) makes a self powered strobe timing light. We used one for uears at CH.
    TKG
    Too much power is just about right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol I wish I still had an old timing light. I would love to make up an adapter like John has and have a look at the curves of these ignitions just for the fun of it. I always was a curious guy. I can never leave well enough alone. I have to take everything apart to see how it works. [8D]
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

ORIGINAL: Super08

lol I wish I still had an old timing light. I would love to make up an adapter like John has and have a look at the curves of these ignitions just for the fun of it. I always was a curious guy. I can never leave well enough alone. I have to take everything apart to see how it works. [8D]
    Same here.....I was that way from 10 years old. I could take a Wizzer rope start engine carburator apart & put it back together by age 12! Had too....the darn thing plugged up with dirt because of the big sandy lawn I had to cut. My Dad was lucky to be able to change a spark plug. All my ability on engines came from my Mother,s side of the family. I ended up being a engine NUT...OH well! Capt,n

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Better way, and one that works every time, is to slice the outer shielding and pull it back from the high tension lead. Then you attach the light probe to the high tension lead. That's why I mentioned you would be sacrificing an ignition to test purposes. I have more neat stuff than Jody does neener, neener, neener.
    I will take a photo of the way I will hook up my timong light & NOT sacrifice any ignitions. After all I want each one to work afterwords to compare & be in workable shape to work just as is...no mods. To expensive to wreck in my case. Capt,n PS TOM is a very good guy to have on this forum...he is around a multitude of the best equipmnt to tinker with. Well I tinker...he make $$$. But thats ok...he shares his know-how with us. I thank him for that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Captinjohn. Could I use an induction light on that short piece of wire instead?
    I want to check a few dle motors with the different ignitions. Seems to be a difference between them
    and the timing they are set from the factory too. Figure the timing light is best.
    gthanks agaig!!!!1
    SS

quote]ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Here isone wayto hook up a up a timing light....there may be other ways. A 12 volt cycle battery powers the timing light. Capt,n
    [/quote]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

'

Just make up a short unshielded high tension extension lead. One end to the spark plug, the other end into the spark plug cavity in the plug cap on the ignition. BE SURE TO RUN A SECURE GROUND WIRE FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAP TO THE ENGINE!! Otherwise you will ruin the ignition.

If you have an old fashioned timing light, you can then just connect it's high tension hook up wire to the plug terminal. If you have an inductive timing light, hook it up to your unshielded extension lead.

AV8TOR
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Follow this link...you will find many timing lights. Starting at $16. Pretty interesting. Capt.n

http://www.nextag.com/inductive-timi...t/compare-html

More on timing lights!
    According to Ignitionman the only rollback lights that work with modern ignition systems are the high end digitals like Snap-On, or MAC. He said the others, (dial type),will be off by 4 or 5 degrees when you are at full advance.

I used a friends Snap-On digital a couple of weeks ago. See link below for an example. Got to say it was REAL easy to determine when your advance is coming in. It has two digital windows side-by-side, one reads rpm and other reads the advance you have it set at. I wanted to see what my advance was at 2000,2200 2400,2800,3000,and 3200 RPM. This thing made it dirt simple. I just went to my desired rpm and clicked the advance/retard button until the timing mark flashed on ZERO degrees. Then you look to see how many degrees you have the light advanced. Easy, and dead-on accurate.

Yes, you can do the same thing with a degree tape or a degreed damper, but you might need two people to be able to watch the tach and damper at the same ti
    The above was a paste

That reminds me... I need to get out my "old reliable" Craftsman non-inductive timing light, and verify the accuracy of my "Dial Back" timing light from Harbor Freight....

Hee hee, anyone want to make any predictions on that??!!

AV8TOR

Well I got side tracted on about at least 3 other projects...big one was shoveling snow!!! I will make one prediction...the advance will be so fast on the DLE ignition....it may make checking advance to any certain RPM impossible. I got to make a special hook-up for testing with engine on airplane....I do not want any connections loose in any way. Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John I was thinking for a running test to first do a manual timing and mark the hub with TDC and then timing marks every 5 degrees. It should be enough to give a person a good idea what the curve is. The fun part will be watching the rpm reading at the same time.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

I'll take a position opposite to yours. I think you'll find about 15-18 dgrees of total advance that starts kicking in somewhere between 2,500 and 3,200 RPM. The "curve" will probably start out with about 6-8 dgrees of advance. It will ramp up steeply once the advance initiates, and remain flat at full advance above 4,000 to 4,500 RPM.

The above is related to the "standard" ignitions. I'm sort of interested in finding out if they retarded the upper RPM bands for the 20CC engines, and if they did, what they settled on. Not enough to go out and buy one though.
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Well I got to put the advance project on hold. My left finger has stared its "trigger finger" again. The cold weather makes it worse. Getting hard to type with left hand also. May need to get a shot again like last year. I can get things ready to test.....just got to wait untill a warm day or when my grandson is home to help me. So its off too my workshop...tinker & fix things. Then there is my Holt 4 cyclinder engine to work on & finnish! Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

captinjohn :

you have a PM.

Regards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123