Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PRIMING PROBLEM

Need advice,

I have a TOC53MM w/reed valve assembly, the engine performs beautifully after the first start .The problem begins when I try to start the engine for the first time of the day, even closing the carb with my thumb to prime it there is no suction of fuel to the carburator so what a do is to put some fuel direct to the carb to start it the first time. No leaks, no clinches visible in fuel lines and choke butterfly closes thight.

Any advice or ideas are welcome.

Best Regards

DMENACE

RE: PRIMING PROBLEM

Use solder to close the hole in the choke plate. It should help. Dan.
    Dan

The solder on the choke plate hole helps a lot. Now if at the end of day, tryflooding the engine out with the choke....the next day it will start far better. Give it a try. Capt,n
    Imagination is far more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

http://www.lambertsrc.com/

Try looking for air leaks at line fittings. When they are dry they may be sucking air. Once wet (after the first run) they may be using the oil to act as a seal.

The 3MM 53 has never needed the hole in the choke plate soldered closed. Yes, I've run a few of them.
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you all for your advises,

Thell what guys, I will apply all your good ideas. WeΒ΄ll do the solder and change all the hose system and fittings. something got to work.

Keep you posted on the results,

DMENACE

One more thing. Make sure the choke plate is closing fully. I had one become misaligned although the screw holding it was still tight. I almost threw out my shoulder trying to get the engine going before I discovered the problem. Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bad news,

It dinΒ΄t work [:@], I tried everything, soldering the butterfly, change the fuel lines, filter, "T" connector I mean everything and the carb has a mind of its own. The weird thing is that after the first start engine works like a clock. Last thing IΒ΄m planning to do is order a repair kit so I can change all the diagphrams, besides this I do not know what to do but getting a new carb.

Best regards

DMENACE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are the reeds sealing against the reed block? If you have a serious leak here, the pressure pulses to the carb will be weak. Also the pumping efficiency of the engine will be severely limited. The engine can still run though if it gets enough fuel and once it fires, the rapid motion of the piston can overcome the leaking reed and force it to seal. Performance would be limited though. Certainly worth a visual check of the reeds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The carb holding bolts are threaded into plastic. Tightening the bolts a little too much I stripped one of them. I then had the same problem. There is a metal kit to replace it. That fixed mine.
    Al Burman