Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Electronic ignition or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
rogergh
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic ignition or not?

I am completing a Sig 1/4 scale cub kit and would like to put in a Zenoah G26. I do not have any gas engine experience and would like some feedback about the electronic ignition version. Is it worth the price difference and the extra hookup? I know a few guys that are using the magneto version and they seem perfectly adequate.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Roger
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Electronic ignition or not?

While, like you say, the magneto version is completely adequate, some people prefer the electronic battery powered ignition.

They do hand start a lot easier with battery ignition.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They also tend to idle slower. My G23 was converted before I got it with a Reichmuth ECDI and it is great. One flip starts after the first run of the day, and idle of 1300 rpm. If I had another, I would run it and see how it started and ran and idled before I converted it. Since the ECDI is lighter, the engine is more flexible in applications for it. The Sig likely would not see the difference. My Sig 1/4 J3 Cub balances spot on with the ignition batteries all the way up against the back of the firewall.

An approach might be to buy the magneto version and if you think you want it to be ECDI, an RCEXL ignition is easily installed at a cost less that the Zenoah option, and with lower battery drain when running. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep it simple....flywheel mag. Go have fun! Capt,n P.S. Someairplanes need the weight in up front.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: spaceworm
An approach might be to buy the magneto version and if you think you want it to be ECDI, an RCEXL ignition is easily installed at a cost less that the Zenoah option, and with lower battery drain when running. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
I would tend to second that suggestion.
The magneto G26 is a very nice engine. I had one for quite a while in my 1/4 Taylorcraft and it proved more than adequate for it so the J3 will do fine with it installed.
Theory has it that the ignition version starts easier but I found mine easy starting and exceptionally reliable. I also had no issues with idle speed.
If these engines are tuned well, they are great little engines
Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got an older G-38 I acquired recently... its only been run a few times in its life... with a magneto of course... I've contemplated changing it over before I even try the magneto, as I've got a few other engines with electonic ignition, and they are fool-proof to start, and very easy to handle...

Does the magneto on a G-38 still provide decent starting(easy flip of the prop), or does it take a bit of a different technique...?

And.... do you choke it until it pops.. like my other engines....just prime a tad..turn ingnition on, choke, flip until engine pops(fires).. release choke and its running in a few flips..

Is the G-38 anything like this? This is a bone stock engine FYI.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 AM
captinjohn

My G38 came with a spring start....took it off. If you have this engine tunned right....they start easy with a brisk flip. Also I had guys say the never seen one that would Idle as slow as mine did. Capt,n P.S. I used a spark plug MOD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80043.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1546878  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Quadra 40 has a mag and it has always started fine. Put your hand over the carb and pull it through til it runs gas out of the carb. The Quadra doesn't have a choke. Pull the spring back about 3/4 of a revolution. Should start about the 3rd or 4th try. The rest of the day will be a 1st or 2nd flip start. My Zen 80 started on the first or second flip from the first flight of the day. On a Cub you probablywill need the weight for balance. Try the mag. You can always convert later.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: DGrant

I've got an older G-38 I acquired recently... its only been run a few times in its life... with a magneto of course... I've contemplated changing it over before I even try the magneto, as I've got a few other engines with electonic ignition, and they are fool-proof to start, and very easy to handle...

Does the magneto on a G-38 still provide decent starting(easy flip of the prop), or does it take a bit of a different technique...?

And.... do you choke it until it pops.. like my other engines....just prime a tad..turn ingnition on, choke, flip until engine pops(fires).. release choke and its running in a few flips..

Is the G-38 anything like this? This is a bone stock engine FYI.

Thanks.

I understand the mag equipped Zenoahs require a different flip start procedure. I think that is because of the coil and magnet orientations. Anyway visit Toni Clark's website (http://www.toni-clark.com/english/ueberuns/uebe_uns.htm) for explicit directions. He has many very good hints for gasser. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
captinjohn

Here is my... explicit directions..... place the prop so when you flip it...it goes over TDC ! No sense in having prop so when you flip it over on Botton Dead center! If you right handed....about 3 oclock the compression should be comming on fast! Capt,nP.S. If you have trouble...go electric or fly a kite!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
DGrant

Thanks a bunch... I don't think I'll have too much trouble. I've ran many engines, but none that were magneto equipped(motorcycles don't count here). I was thinking its important, and an advantage to make sure when its flipped the follow through was basically just as it sparked(TDC area as mentioned), so its probably very much like an EI equipped engine, with a bit more attention to the ooomph as it fires. My EI equipped engines have me spoiled.. they start very easily... but I think this engine will work just fine... it was a great find, and in great shape, I even have the original manual too, ofwhich I will study that a bit also before I make that first flip. Its all good... and thanks for the info. .. I'm also seeing several planes on the market for the G38 now..

I'm putting it into a Midwest Extra300.. although I'm not expecting blazing performance(I have another one w/50cc engine, at 15lbs.), but it should provide some scale like flying, and be able to fly the pattern just fine.. albeit it will be a little heavier too.. but its a cheaper practice plane really.. as long as the engine is reliable I'm good.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 PM
spaceworm

Here is a link to the thread on RCU that addresses the need to have the proper orientation of the magneto magnets to the coil in order to charge the coils and get the engine started: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45.../anchor/tm.htm

Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
DGrant

That's perfect...and really everything I'd been thinking on this engine. Its more of the timing, and positions, and follow through then it is with an electronic ignition. There's a reason they put kick starters on motorcycles equipped with magnetos.. because they need that "kick" in specific timing order.. the idea here is achieve the correct "kick" at the correct position, timing it with the anticipated spark.. I'll have a slight learning curve, but I'm sure it'll go just fine. I don't plan on running it until mid-spring at the earliest anyways.. too many pans in the oven right now.. but I'll refer back to the link... that's good info..and now I'm sure I'm just going to run it as-is.. before I make any plans on converting.. I think it will suit the bill fine. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
rogergh
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks everyone for all of the good info. I have decided to try the magneto version just to keep it simple, don't want to get too spoiled on my first gasser! There is a very good starting instruction including diagrams in the G26 manual. Which is available on the Horizon web page at this link.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=ZENE26A

Roger