Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

general Question on rear carb engines

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

general Question on rear carb engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Hothead
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general Question on rear carb engines

I picked up a DLE 30 to put on an ultra stick (old style not the lite) that i'm putting together. my question is, how much room is needed between the carb and the firewall? also I will be putting the electronics just aft of the firewall, and the fuel tank under the wing. How big of a fuel tank do I need for the 30 ? I have the same plane (ultra Stick old style) with a G23 and with a 16oz tank
I can get over 20 minutes and thats mostly at full power. i'm building the new plane with a DLE 30 because the G23 just is lacking power.

ok one last ? is there anyone who modifies a G23 for more power, port job or what ever?

Thanks ,Ken
Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: general Question on rear carb engines

10 -12 oz should be fine for atleast 20 mins of variable throttle flying ...... i would say atleast a 1/4" inch space from carb to firewall....you could also cut out hole in the fire wall if need be
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are two G-23's. The old one has a cylinder that looks like the cylinder on a G-20. The newer G-23 has a cylinder that looks like and G-26 cylinder and it has a lot more power.

The old G-23 doesn't have as much power as the current G-20
Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 AM
repinfl
My Feedback: (40)

WOW a DLE30 on an Ugly Stick! That compo will not be underpowered.
I have a DLE20 on the Ugly Stick Ultra Lite and it is great. When
I mounted the engine I only worried about enough clearance for the
choke butterfly to operate. Of course there is a rather large hole
in the firewall of the Ultra Lite. I think Jody posted some info
on this but I do not remember where. Maybe he will see this and
post again...He is good that way!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

You mention a DLE30 on a stick. What is the wingspan and weight of the plane. I use a DLE30 on my 82" GEEBEE racing plane. Depending on the wingspan and weight of your plane, you may be severely be over powering the plane.

As for the carb distance from the firewall, if you are using the standoffs you received with the DLE 30 it will put the rear of the carb 1/4" from the firewall. I do not have the fire wall holed out and it works perfectly.
Your resident DLE dealer
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS

You mention a DLE30 on a stick. What is the wingspan and weight of the plane. I use a DLE30 on my 82'' GEEBEE racing plane. Depending on the wingspan and weight of your plane, you may be severely be over powering the plane.

As for the carb distance from the firewall, if you are using the standoffs you received with the DLE 30 it will put the rear of the carb 1/4'' from the firewall. I do not have the fire wall holed out and it works perfectly.
Your resident DLE dealer

The old red/white stick is a cinder block of a plane, I saw one fly with a 40cc gasser (brison 2.4).

Mine has a irvine 120 on it and the beast was underpowered.......

The lite was a godsend from H9
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's three different Hanger 9 120 size sticks with the last one being the Ultra Stick Lite. They all had the same dimensions
1. The first one in the fall of 1999 had a balsa fuselage with solid ailerons.flaps and solid tail surfaces and there were not very many of these
2. Shortly afterwards, the empennage and flight controls were made much lighter. (I never had one of these)
3. The lite is engineered different from the other two in that the fuselage is entirely lite ply with holes all in it. (This is the one with the clear covering)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

A USL Can be made to weigh 9 lbs with a stock magneto G26...Search here for Ultra stik lite done right....
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carb distance to firewal:
1/3 times the carb venturi diameter will be fine.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it all depends on the Stick. Back when we used to build them from kits we had .25 size, .40 size. .60 size, and the Oh My God, needs a G-62 size. There have been a few sized between the .60 and G-62 versions. There were Sweet Stiks, Sweet and Low Stiks, and a Das Bipe Stik.

So a DLE 30 would probably fit one or more of the versions that are still floating around.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DLE 30 will be perfect! My brother has a US 41 and its pretty decent, the 30cc should put out more. i also have a buddy that has a fuji 32? its powered nice as well.... then you have guys like the one in this video putting DLE 55s! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sl0AFlPGMc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjEbmVwHRDs

i thought this one was cool, a 3 cylinder saito...that motor belongs in a more deserving air frame http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ4MndwQyCs
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

carb distance to firewal:
1/3 times the carb venturi diameter will be fine.
Good advice for sure. Also if you have a lite engine...you may need it as far forward as possible!

Capt,n
Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Hothead
My Feedback: (3)

the Ultra stick i'm putting together now with the DTE30 ,the fuse is balsa and lite ply' only the control surfaces are made lighter. My old one with the G23 is the original one ,everything solid.
That old one weighes 13 1/2lb with the G23 no ned for balast.this is bit shy on power. The new one should be just about right.
Ken