Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dle-20 Blew up....

I agree. Sometimes it is just a matter of which engine was delivered to your door and "Murphy's Law". [:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

I agree. Sometimes it is just a matter of which engine was delivered to your door and ''Murphy's Law''. [:@]
    I've been at this hobby for quite awhile now and have bought more then a few engines over the years. I've bought quality and I've bought cheap along the way and the "sort of" rule you stated above pretty much applies to all of them! In fact, it pretty much applies to just about everything we buy. Spending more doesn't always guarantee a trouble free owner experience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll agree on that statement too!!!!

Happy Veteran's Day!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

I agree. Sometimes it is just a matter of which engine was delivered to your door and ''Murphy's Law''. [:@]
    I've been at this hobby for quite awhile now and have bought more then a few engines over the years. I've bought quality and I've bought cheap along the way and the ''sort of'' rule you stated above pretty much applies to all of them! In fact, it pretty much applies to just about everything we buy. Spending more doesn't always guarantee a trouble free owner experience.
    So very true as I bought a Zenoah engine that ran quite well but had a ring gap of .037".

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Blackpowder..and everyone else too!

Just finished checking the timing on the DLE20 that threw it's pin. It was set right at 30 degrees. No problem there.

Weather was just great around here this w/e. I spent a lot of it just thrashing this Mojo/DLE20/Xoar17X6 combo to the limit. Plane weighs right at 10 lbs wet and it will pull it around like a rag doll! I can't prove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was exceeding 10K rpm at times.

No, I'm not going to back off of it one bit. It'll either hold up..... or not. Time will tell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should be pretty safe with a 17x6. That and the 16x8 are likely the most popular props run on this engine?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

757jonp,
    Thanks for the info. I set mine at 30 degrees. I will check the one that I've been flying tomorrow. It's on a GP Super Skybolt, 9.5 pounds spinning a 14 x 10 at 8500, but I'm at over 5000 ft.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please correct me if wrong but I believe that just because we "set" the timing at 30+ degrees does NOT mean that is where the CDI unit will be timing the engine when running and up to top speed. The 30+ or whatever is just a benchmark which will give the correct timing of 27 - 29 degrees when running. Of course the timing is retarded much below that figure when at lower rpms.

And a DLE ignition unit will require more advance when "setting" the timing than a RCEXEL unit on the same engine. But once running at top speed they both give the same result, 27 - 29 or so degrees.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I design aerospace bearings for a living. It is a manufacturing flaw. The bearing failure / damage was scondary to pin fracture.

Speedy-Gonzales is 100% correct. QC in China is horrible. I suspect you are not the fist DLE owner this has happened to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KoleDeRacer

The galling happened after it was blown up more then likely from the prop turning on the way down and getting scratched on the crank.
    The ignition is model A-01
    I've never seen galling like that on a single cylinder engine. Doubtful the prop could turn it over after the failure. Might make sense to do some checking to find out if something else (like a missing thrust washer or mis-installed bearing) could have caused the galling and led up to the failure. Thanks for posting the photos. Very interesting thread and I hope you get to the root cause.
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ernie

DLE ignition is a RCEXEL with a DLE sticker on it first of all. When doing static timing, you are sensing the advanced position. The unit will not retard until movement (RPM) is detected (I believe the minimum is about 200 RPM).

BTW, I just received a new ignition from Hobby King that I ordered out of curiosity. $23.99 and got shipped with other stuff, appears to be what we know as RCEXEL with a "Paragon" brand name on it. Not sure what model it is, but more than likely it's an 01. Hopefully it has a more "friendly" ignition curve. I'll let u'alls know what I find out shortly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I set the timing at 28 degrees because that is where Rcexl recomends and also I believe that C&H does the same. So on other engines that I have used the Rcexl ingition on that was my startng point. I think that it makes it easer to start and after when its running I have no idea if it advances to make power. Thats how my race car ignition works. ? To quote Speedy I'm not an expert, I just read the instructions.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456