Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

No fuel to DLE30

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 12:39 PM
BOB275

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel to DLE30

Got the DLE30 out of storage and hook up a 8 oz tank and got it running and tuned up fine.
Ready to fly, so I grab the 12 oz tank and I could not get fuel to the DLE30! No leaks in tank/pressurize it. NEW!
Going from an 8 oz tank to 12 oz, what happen? I thought the Walbro carb wasn't sucking/pumping the fuel up.
Change out the blue screen to a beige one and the fuel pump diaphragm.
Any one had a problem like this and a solution????? Bob

Old 12-14-2019, 01:50 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you sure it's fuel and not spark causing your issue? What happens when you prime it?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:27 AM
BOB275

NO PROBLEM WITH spark. We installed a spinner and used the electric starter and it started right up. Hand priming it is not pumping the fuel fast enough.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Getting fuel to the engine is more a function of how well the choke works than the pump. After the engine starts the pump will provide the necessary fuel volume and pressure to keep the engine running. I'd make sure the choke plate is fully closed and if it is even a tiny bit open, its not a choke. If both fuel tanks are in good condition, there should be zero difference between your two fuel tank sizes so that should be a non issue. Reeds can also cause starting problems and you can check them simply by removing the spark plug and confirming the engine has normal port bypass operation when the engine is cranked. Certainly a visual inspection can't hurt anything if you suspect there is a problem. People make way too much out of whether reeds seal completely when they are at rest. It is normal for an in service reed to hang open slightly yet they can work properly with normal airflow / crankcase differential pressure.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:55 PM
ahicks

And speaking of chokes, there's an outside chance that the choke plate isn't centered in the barrel properly. Can happen right from new, or it's not unheard of for the single screw that hold it in place to loosen slightly, causing the plate to rattle itself off center.

Too, some will poo poo the idea of soldering the hole in the choke plate shut. It does help.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by ahicks
And speaking of chokes, there's an outside chance that the choke plate isn't centered in the barrel properly. Can happen right from new, or it's not unheard of for the single screw that hold it in place to loosen slightly, causing the plate to rattle itself off center.

Too, some will poo poo the idea of soldering the hole in the choke plate shut. It does help.
I've soldered the hole in the choke plate shut on some of my smaller engines and in a few cases it worked too well resulting in over choking. My best solution has been to solder the hole shut then redrill a much smaller hole through the solder until a compromise size is found. 1/16" usually works pretty well.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:40 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Remove the inlet needle diaghragm cover and check the playability of the diaphragm and check the inlet needle . It may be stuck closed. If the needle won't open all the choking in the world won't help
Old 12-23-2019, 10:48 AM
BOB275

We have taken the carb off the plane and again inspect it, the choke, diaphrams, etc and had a flying buddy with a gas plane double check it.
Had to put a hold on this as the holiday and wx took up time. Later i'll get back to it.
I do thank you for your tips.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Truckracer

Have you checked the screen inside the carb? Sometimes they can get a sort of clear coating on them that won't easily pass fuel. Almost impossible to clean, replacement is the normal fix and a new screen comes with every carb kit.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:24 AM
ZENGSM62

Had a zenoah g26 that was sitting for about 7 years, did the same thing.
Diaphram had got hard and was no longer working, took one out of a different carb, works very well now.
As a note, if it is possible always use gasoline with out alcohol, i use what is called rec premium in my area, i use it in all my small engines, rc, chainsaws, snowblower, outboard, snowmobile when possible.
Gsm
Old 04-13-2020, 09:21 AM
BOB275

Originally Posted by ZENGSM62
Had a zenoah g26 that was sitting for about 7 years, did the same thing.
Diaphram had got hard and was no longer working, took one out of a different carb, works very well now.
As a note, if it is possible always use gasoline with out alcohol, i use what is called rec premium in my area, i use it in all my small engines, rc, chainsaws, snowblower, outboard, snowmobile when possible.
Gsm
WHAT I finally did is get an electric starter and that got the gas up to the carb and since then it always start. Thanks to every one for your help. Bob
Old 04-13-2020, 03:41 PM
ahicks

The hole in the choke plate serves no useful purpose in RC. For easier priming, getting that initial shot of fuel up to the carb, many have soldered that hole shut. End of problem - assuming everything else is in order.