Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Carb cleaner??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:11 PM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb cleaner??????

ok here is whats happening with the motor when flying. everytime im going verticle the engine wants to die. So the last thing im going to do is clean the screen and jets. What is the best way of doing this? will the carburator cleaner by gumout do the job? One more thing. I forgot how many turns i had set on my high end needle. How many turns on my high and low end needle should i start with? The engine is a Taurus 2.6

Thanks,
Santi
Old 08-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

WHen I go vertical, My engine looses RPM. What I think it is going lean when I go vertical. I would say this is the same thing that is happening to you.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:55 AM
santi

geistware

what should my high speed needle be set at. How many turns out should i start off with? I wrote down how many my low end was, but was to much in a hurry to unsrew the high :stupid:

Thanks
Santi
Old 08-07-2003, 01:23 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Carb cleaner

Santi.. first of all.. care cleaner will not clean the jets if thats the problem. The Welch plugs covering the jets need to be removed and the jets cleaned. Then new plugs put back. I would start at 1 1/2 turns out for the hi and lo speed needles. Its a fair starting place. You adjust your engine to run by its performance more than following turns of the needles. Your engine should idle well, transition from lo to high speed evenly and not be lean at the hi end. Thats my advice from 10 years working in the chain saw industry.. Regards BobH.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:29 AM
santi

bob

Thanks for the advise. I will do that.

Santi
Old 08-07-2003, 03:21 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Carb Cleaner

Santi, let me know how it works out for you ok?...If your new to gas engines the adjusting of them may seem a bit of a mystery. It's pretty straight forward for the most part. A key ingredient is when rapidly advance the throttle the transition should be smooth. When your running wide open do not lean the engine to get the last ounce of Umph. You can lean the top end until it starts to loose power (too lean) and then back it off until you have restored your best running and THEN.. back off just a tad more. That should do it for you. Hope this helps BobH.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

While I agree with the high needle setting, the low needle may be a little rich. The carb on my 2.4 is the same one that Brison puts on a 3.2. My idle screw is at 1/2 turn. 1-1/2 may be a little rich for idle.