Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Throttle setup for new pitts....fast/slow idle

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Throttle setup for new pitts....fast/slow idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM
alexaggie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle setup for new pitts....fast/slow idle

I just bought a 1/4 scale Pitts powered by a Brison 3.2. All the control linkages are installed, but I am putting a different receiver in it. This is my first gasser and I have a question about the throttle travel. The guy I bought the plane from had his flap switch set up to move between slow/fast idle. I also read about starting the engine in fast idle, letting it warm up, going up to full throttle and then back down to slow idle when everything looks good. Is this setup pretty standard? Is there a specific slow/fast idle or is it just a ballpark setting based on sound/RPM? I have yet to fire it up with my radio installed and I would like to be able to set up the throttle to be able to start it safely and not damage anything. Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:01 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Geez, I hope you plan to tie it off or put it in a stand of some sort, from a safety perspective? Once that's done, you should be able to test and tweak to your hearts desire.

Personally, I'd make every attempt to start off nice and simple - then revisit some of the stuff you're talking about when I have a solid handle on the basics. That's me though. -Al
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would highly suggest going to your club and get someone familiar with gas to help you the first time. A couple basic things about gas, it is nothing like Nitro. The carb does not operate the entire distance of movement, you will get all of the possible rpm's well below fully open. The idle can change with the warming of the engine. But there is a slew of other things needed to be learned for an enjoyable experience. So find someone to personally help you get started off right.

Good lick and enjoy.