Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito FG57T 57cc twin gas engine question

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG57T 57cc twin gas engine question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 AM
darren1975

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito FG57T 57cc twin gas engine question

Hi Mike,

I have the same engine (FG57T 57cc twin gas) and cub plane. I started it for the first time yesterday for break in and am having the exact same issue you had. The left cylinder, looking from the back, is producing visible exhaust and the right is not. When I shut it down, the right cylinder was definitely hotter to the touch. Looks like it's been awhile since your last post. Do you have any updates?

Thanks,
Darren
Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 AM
mikes767

Hi Darren

Engine is running fine now one cylinder will always be hotter than the other on this style of engine but the differance will get less as it breaks in. The break in on this engine I think just takes longer than other engines I have had.
But one thing that really made a differance to me was swithcing to a good quality oil . I was just using some run of the mill stuff and switched to redline racing oil , I think motocross bikes use it. Its a bit pricey but it works well. My engine was also a bit sqeaky before I switched. I have no black goo coming out of any exhaust now.
I would say just be patient with the break in and you will be very happy with it.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 AM
mikes767

Hi Darren

I see you are from Vernon bought the oil at canadian tire.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM
darren1975

Thanks Mike,

Ya, the guys at the club here recommended the red line oil so thats what I got. Engine sure sounds good though and I can't wait to fly my cub.

Darren
Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it is worth............

In the video of the engine running on the J3 Cub, I see a lot of black goo comming out pretty heavy on one cyl but not the other. If It was my engine....it would go back to where you bought it fast. There is considerable wear taking place on one side of that Twin. But ....I have been wrong. Capt,n
Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The resulting symptoms mainly effect low and mid range, which seems to be where yours acts up.

I'd try spraying some oil around the intake manifold/head junction when the engine is running at maybe 1/3 throttle.

If you hear a change in how it runs, possibly with blue exhaust smoke if the leak is bad, that would confirm the diagnosis.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:28 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all,
The previous posts may be an indication of why my FG57T failed.
My right cylinder had a valve stick, and this resulted in the piston hitting the valve and then the expected catastrophic failure with massive damage to the right piston, cylinder and valves.
I sent the engine in to hobby services and they sent it back without repair, stating that the engine is no longer supported.

On my tear down inspection after the initial failure, we found that the right side valve cover housings were totally DRY with no lubrication making to the top end.
Something to watch out for.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Originally Posted by Tommy_Gun

I sent the engine in to hobby services and they sent it back without repair, stating that the engine is no longer supported.
That stinks. The engine hasn't been out that long has it?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

I have one I've been running for over a year, great engine! One cylinder runs a bit richer than the other, as mentioned above, typical of a 1 carb engine, not an issue, I just make sure the "lean" side doesn't get too lean. I use Cool Power oil from Horizon, recommended by Ray English because it doesn't "burn" like Redline, Sthil Ultra, etc. So it's supposed to blow more oil past the rings to the rods. Took mine apart because I lost compression in 1 cylinder, carbon on the exhaust valve seat, obviously caused by the 20:1 ratio. Cleaned it up and runs great! I also oil the valvetrain with Royal Purple chain lube every time I adjust the valves.
Tom
Old 03-03-2017, 07:37 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Originally Posted by Supermod56
it doesn't "burn" like Redline, Sthil Ultra, etc.
Tom
Tom when I was flying gas a lot I tried Bel-Rey Oil. It was really good oil, but because it is one of the few, (I thought the only), two stroke oil that did not burn my models came back looking like they had a nitro engine in them because of the oil all over the plane, it might be a good oil to use in this engine also.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:16 PM
mogman

I'm using Stihl Ultra @20:1 and I get a LOT of oil out of the crankcase breather, so much that I had to put a catch bottle on the plane.
There is no visible oil smoke from the exhaust
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0992.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1,014.5 KB
ID:	2203796  

Last edited by mogman; 03-03-2017 at 03:25 PM.