Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

So what particulate size does this product filter? It's not noted in the advertising. Some of my stuff has to be filtered to 1 micron, with most requiring 10 micron filtration. I don't have felt fibers in my carbs, btw.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So we say that the 10 microns is smaller than the 130 microns that Dubro advertises? So its not like sandpaper or other sceens the higher the number the finer the screen. I agree the felt seems better than a screen, but just wanted to understand the whole micron thing, what is a micron and what is the finest micron screen you can get?

Very good posts and informative, I ordered the Zenoah felt pickups. I agree those other ceramic white ones are probably good too.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM
mpascual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you don't have felt fibers in your carb because you make a regular maintenace program with your engines, and you clean or replace the carb inlet screen before it can become a problem. [8D]
I've seen and cleaned or replaced the screen on a lot of carbs with clogged inlet screen with felt debriis, always using walbro felt clunks.

About filtration of porex filters for our RC gas engines, try one and you will be surprised, believe me.
I think in our engines, with Walbro style carbs , we don't need 1 micron filters.
I can send you one free of charge and shipment if you are going to try it, and post here your results.
Maybe i'm wrong, but i bet you will refuse my offer.

Regards
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Tired Old Man

Carb screens don't get cleaned at all, with filter changes every hundred hours. In excess of 400 hours per engine with no fiber issues. Enough engines run out to fill a couple of 28' containers floor to ceiling, end to end. I have problems understanding why RC users have issues "industrial" users don't. Injected engines (no carbs) require ultra fine filtration prior to reaching pump bodies so 1 micron is required.

I will not refuse the offer, but instead I'll order a couple for shop tests after calling the company to obtain more particulars about the product. If it meets the specs it might have potential.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:32 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: mpascual

Porex clunk/filters are better than felt type filters, at same price but some advantages.
.....................http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=390287846515
In the USA, Poulan (weed whackers, leaf blowers, etc.) uses that style as well.

Available at Ace Hardware small eng service centers, and many other small eng repair shops.
Poulan clunk/filter part # 530095646
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link Manuel,

No, I tried sintered filters, bronze and plastic. The Porex filter seems to be a new non-woven PE-fiber to replace the felt (walked wool).
BTW, I wash new felts and flow-rinse them before use. No loose fibers as result.

As it is now, I have no need for a better filter, but it is good to know there is an alternative for the felt clunk on the market. Maybe T.O.M. can find the time to do some testing in his lab environment?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 AM
mpascual

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

....... I wash new felts and flow-rinse them before use. No loose fibers as result.
That's the key.
Wash and flow-rinse new felt filters. But only a few modellers do it. Also when felt dries, we have more chances to loose fibers.
On porex clunks you don't need to do anything, direct use.
I agree with you, felt filters-clunks are good, but will be replaced by porex filters soon.
Regards
Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had carb screens full of filter fibers and there was nothing but a plain clunk in the tank and no in-line filter.

The fibers must come from the gasoline station?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 AM
mpascual

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I've had carb screens full of filter fibers and there was nothing but a plain clunk in the tank and no in-line filter.

Sure they come from felt filter. Clunk is always bumping inside the tank, and in some cases it may loose fibers that goes to the carb
Try porex filters and no more dirty or felt fibers on carb screens.

Regards
Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

ORIGINAL: litterbug
I'm guessing this means I also have to run a 3 line system so I dont put any contaminates on the wrong side of the filter.
I'm a newbie to gassers and engines in general for that matter,(okay, RC's when it comes right down to it!). Litterbug brought up a good point here IMO. Do you need a three line system to avoid getting contaminates on the wrong side of the filter?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Tired Old Man

Not really. You only need to filter the gas twice. Once in the gas can and once in the tank. Once fuel enters the gas line going to the carb there is no way for particulate contaminate to occur in the fuel. Anything that was in the gas can or the filter at worst simply goes back and forth between the two and doesn't move beyond the gas tank. A good filter in the gas can and nothing makes it to the gas tank, making the tank filter a redundant filter trapping pretty much only what had been in the tank during tank assembly.

Just select a good filter. Mpascual's selection may be a good one and I know the Walbro/Tillotson felt filters are good. In answer to an earlier question, 10 microns is MUCH smaller than 130 microns. 10 microns equals .0003937". In millimeters it's 0.01mm. 130 microns is .00511811". In millimeters it's 0.13mm. 1000 microns=1mm. A human hair runs 40 to 120 microns in diameter.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 PM
flyingfrog007

you know i have ran my stihl chain saw for over 20 years. i put gas and oil in a can shake it up and never once have i had to take it apart because of no fuel. i have cut aprox 7 cord of wood each year.once i backed over my chain saw. i leave gas in it year round pull the rope and it normaly starts on about the 3rd time every time. just to prove the point i took the carb off this year and it was still as clean as new. i do put a filter on my can so when i fuel my plane it is clean ging in but if you make sure your tank and lines are clean when you start out. the fuel filter buss is just another way to get into your pocket.
[and yes it is the same carb] when i need a part i would go to my chain saw dealer to get them.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Tired Old Man

One more filter for a plane isn't a big thing. Especially if the engine ever was to die because of a dirty carb. You can't just lay down the plane and take it to the saw shop for repair.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
pe reivers

A three line system is what I use. It keeps potential dirt on the outside of the filter.

It is amazing how many fibers are loosened from the wipe rag. You do not want these in your carb fuel line.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
pe reivers

I have serviced quite a number of garden engines for friends. ALL, without exception had quite dense fiber mats inside the carb strainer, some dense enough to cause lean running or malfunction.
I do not imply that you will have too. Maybe you keep your fuel utensils exceptionally clean. Many people don't.
ORIGINAL: flyingfrog007

you know i have ran my stihl chain saw for over 20 years. i put gas and oil in a can shake it up and never once have i had to take it apart because of no fuel. i have cut aprox 7 cord of wood each year.once i backed over my chain saw. i leave gas in it year round pull the rope and it normaly starts on about the 3rd time every time. just to prove the point i took the carb off this year and it was still as clean as new. i do put a filter on my can so when i fuel my plane it is clean ging in but if you make sure your tank and lines are clean when you start out. the fuel filter buss is just another way to get into your pocket.
[and yes it is the same carb] when i need a part i would go to my chain saw dealer to get them.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to a chainsaw repairman that said the same thing Pe said. Those fibers get into the carb ...that is why I do not use any filters with fibers. I know some guys love em...because they suck every last drop of fuel from tank. But on the other hand...you should land before you get low on fuel. Place one big... really high "quality" filter in you pick up line to a hand pump....your fuel will always be filtered good. Go fly !
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Okay Captain.  Which one then do you recommend?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Tired Old Man

Capt'n,

You obviously don't try to fly over 20 hours on a gallon of gas
Old 03-16-2011, 12:41 AM
a1pcfixer

Get yourself some Poulan clunk/filters part # 530095646
Put one in your gas jug, another in your model's tank.

They'll suck nearly every bit of gas out, no bubbles in line, and are very heavy.

Whether or not the fibers issue is fact, opinion, or speculation regarding the felt filter/clunks,
with the Poulan filter you don't even consider such. Simplicity & peace of mind have value!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:13 AM
pe reivers

John,
Those fibers inside the carb normally are not from the felt clunk. It has been said in this thread, and I say it again to stress the point. IF the felt clunk shreds fibers by rubbing etc, it is the felt filter itself that stops them from entering the carb fuel line. In the theoretical case that a few fibers make it to the carb, these very few fibers will in no way cause the internal filter to clog. My experience is, that with a three line system, and felt clunk, the only maintenance to the carb filter is getting rid of gum deposits on the metal gauze.

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I talked to a chainsaw repairman that said the same thing Pe said. Those fibers get into the carb ...that is why I do not use any filters with fibers. I know some guys love em...because they suck every last drop of fuel from tank. But on the other hand...you should land before you get low on fuel. Place one big... really high "quality" filter in you pick up line to a hand pump....your fuel will always be filtered good. Go fly !
Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 AM
a1pcfixer

Sure they come from felt filter. Clunk is always bumping inside the tank, and in some cases it may loose fibers that goes to the carb

Regards
Manuel,

Maybe he's asking where did his 'fibers' come from, when he never used a fiber style filter?

Beyond that, I agree with you and prefer the porex style.

Did you ever weigh both styles?
Are both the same weight?
One weigh more that the other?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I used a Dubro final filter after my Walbro felt clunk on a 3-line system for an entire season. Several gallons. When I took it apart to re-plumb the tank a few weeks ago, I back flushed the final filter. Not a single fiber or anything solid for that matter. All I saw when I back flushed the Final filter with rubbing alcohol was a very slightly darker tint to the fluid. I did this over a new piece of white printer paper. Did the same thing with the felt clunk and same results. Nothing solid, just a slight tint to the back flush. And that was only the first back flush. After that the back flushes of both the Final filter and felt clunk were totally clear. I looked at the paper after the alcohol dried and you could barely see any tint in the dry paper. Just a tiny boundry line stain of the back flush puddle. I probably will not use the Final filter any more. The Walbro felt clunk is plenty. Also I would have no reservations about using that felt clunk another season if not 3 or 4 as long as I back flush it every year to clean it. I have good confidence that my engine is getting very clean fuel after that procedure. BTW, I have a ceramic filter in my fueler can as the fuel pickup clunk. After that I have a paper element see-through one in the supply line to the fuel dot.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Jezmo

Yep, I have one felt in the gas can, a felt in the tank, and darn it my OCD is kicking in again. I just gotta have my Hanger 9 inline for piece of mind on those dang felt fibers. Yep, OCD is probably why I run the inline. LOL

P.S. I buy my felt filters in lots of ten (real good deal on genuine Walbro) at the Flea Bay. Four pieces of yard equipment and four gassers, getting fuel line/filter replacements yearly, eat them up rather quickly.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Tired Old Man

You reinforced my point. In literally thousands of engines there has been no evidence of felt separation and clogging of carb screens. Some modelers start using them and suddenly there are felt fibers clogging carb screens. There is no pre-washing of filters on this end. In those thousands of engines the filters came out of the lastic bag and were installed in the tanks. I keep hearing of it but I have yet to experience that myself. Then again, I don't sell anything to anyone...

BTW, most plastic tanks have some plastic fibers inside of them, leftover from the tank manufacturing process. Someone that has never used a felt filter finding fibers on their carb screen can put the blame for that on the tank itself. Felt filters have a bit of a problem rubbing plastic shavings from the inside of a tank. Much the same way something with a rubber o-ring at the base would have problems doing so.

On a side note, as tanks get larger the little brass clunk included with gas tanks rapidly becomes too small and light to keep up with changes in thak attitude. Heavier clunks also easily overcome tubing stiffening issues associated with using the wrong grade of tygon tubing.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
mpascual

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Regards
Manuel,

Maybe he's asking where did his 'fibers' come from, when he never used a fiber style filter?

Beyond that, I agree with you and prefer the porex style.

Did you ever weigh both styles?
Are both the same weight?
One weigh more that the other?

Same weight on both types of picture , Walbro clunk and porex clunk . 0.44 oz. each.

I've tested (for our use in our airplanes, not for industry) many clunks and filters , and my answer to the question on this thread :

And the winner is ......... POREX FILTER.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98857.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1579735  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.