Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spark Plug Cap Replacement Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Cap Replacement Parts

At my local flying club many of us have converted to the low cost gas engines. We are now having problems with the shielded caps shorting out. I have not been able to find any replacements. Anyone have a good source? Both 10mm and the 14mm have failed. I am guessing its the silicon insulator boot breaking down.
tnx
tp
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plug Cap Replacement Parts

RC Extreme power http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html

Agape Racing http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/v....php?groupid=5

Valley View RC http://valleyviewrc.com/

Are a few sources

They don't list the caps themselves but they have the cap assemblies available

Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

At my local flying club many of us have converted to the low cost gas engines. We are now having problems with the shielded caps shorting out. I have not been able to find any replacements. Anyone have a good source? Both 10mm and the 14mm have failed. I am guessing its the silicon insulator boot breaking down.
tnx
tp
In my experience it's been the landings thatsbeen breaking down.

When a plug cap hits the ground the spark plug willoften tear a hole in the silicone boot. It's not hard to look at a plug cap and see the dent from the inside out where the tip of the plug hit the inside of the cap. I have test ignitions on my test bench that have plug caps on them that have been on and off spark plugs literallyhundreds and hundreds of times and they still work perfect.

I've never seen a spark plug cap wear out or break down from just flying around and maybe being removed and installed once or twice a year.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Tom in Cincy

Ok thanks. I really appreciate the links. What ever damages them it does seem to happen. Removing the metal shield and grounding the braided wire to the motor usually gets the guys through the day. Its nice to have a place to get the parts.

tp
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BCCHI, has said place some silicone grease in cap...it may slip on & off better too. Not sure but I think the grease may prevent spark jumpimg somewhat. We need more input on that aspect. Has anyone talked to Bill Lately. For sure the prayers are still going his way from here. Capt,n
Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijody

In my experience it's been the landings thats been breaking down.

When a plug cap hits the ground the spark plug will often tear a hole in the silicone boot. It's not hard to look at a plug cap and see the dent from the inside out where the tip of the plug hit the inside of the cap. I have test ignitions on my test bench that have plug caps on them that have been on and off spark plugs literally hundreds and hundreds of times and they still work perfect.

I've never seen a spark plug cap wear out or break down from just flying around and maybe being removed and installed once or twice a year.
+2

As for silicon grease, best to use that for its intended purpose, moisture prevention. Improperly applied and silicon grease becomes an excellent insulator. Meaning prevention of completing an electrical circuit. I can just see all the posts where people tried the stuff and their engines suddenly won't run or start missing a lot. I have seen and experienced what happens with this product a lot.

Look inside the caps and at the side of the plugs, seeking black marks. If you find them you know you have cap issues. If the cap is not on correctly you're develop a lot of carbon tracking as described. That's hard on caps and ignitions. I've seen how some of the small planes with gas engines get brought to the ground, can't really call those things landings, and I really agree with Jody. A hobby shop's propeller sales is a good indicator of how well people are landing