Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W-170 Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
mtndewdewd
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W-170 Help

Bought a 42% with a 3w170 last fall and am just not getting around to messing with it and I am having issues getting it started.

Throttle @ idle

choke on

flip 3 to 5 times and it will POP

choke off

filp 3 to 5 times more and it will start and run for 3/4 of a second to 1 1/4 seconds and then quit

continue to flip until I am blue in the face and it wont pop/start again

choke on

flip 3 to 5 times and it will POP again

choke off

flip 3 to 5 times more and it starts for a second and dies again.

Thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-02-2011, 03:04 PM
skip1320

Default RE: 3W-170 Help

Open the low speed needle a quarter to half turn out for starters,good luck
Old 04-02-2011, 04:21 PM
mtndewdewd

Ok, 1/4 needle didn't have any effect.

It's a Tillotson HR 14 A MP4 carb and 3W says stock settings are 3/4-H and 2-L. I reset to that, and there was no change. I enrichened up to 3 on the low and leaned down to 1 on the low and there was no difference. It acts the same regardless of the low settings??

I also noticed at the stock settings, if after I choke it and it POP's, then choke off - it's always 4 more flips until it tries to start. I can then leave the choke off and keep flipping and it seems that at 10-15 flips it will POP again.... then 10-15 more it will pop again. Really sounds like it's lean on the low end, but there was no effect all the way up to 3 full turns out from flush??

Put a freshly charged battery on the ignition and it had no effect.

Does this help anyone with any more ideas?

Thanks again guys for the help.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:30 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a rebuild kit for the carb and replace the diapragms and gaskets. If there is a metering needle in there change that too. It sounds like things have dried out since it has not run for a long time. I had the same problem once. Changing everything worked. Dan.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM
mtndewdewd

Where would you find a carb kit for a Tillotson HR 14 A MP4 ??? =\
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/07-465.html?id=yPsfHIia
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 PM
mtndewdewd

Yikes. That doesnt look right. I know it has a square plate. I took that model off of the 3W site, I better go check closer.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Walbro's have a number on the side

The Walbro is a WGSA -7 PSF http://www.3w-modellmotoren.com/kata...b2-ts-161.html

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 PM
mtndewdewd

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Yours must have the Walbro carb? WB-25? Look for a number on the side

K11-WB is the repair kit http://www.mowers4u.com/walbro-walbr...m-p-727.html D11-WB is the number for just the diaphragms

The other Walbro is a WGSA -7 PSF
[img][/img]

It is a Tillotson. I saw Tillotson on the front and just assumed because of the 3W site it was the one they said it should be. I just crawled under there and looked at the backside and it is a Tillotson HT 14A.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Good question. I don't know. My engines all use Walbros. There are a lot of gas engine pros that monitor this forum. Maybe they can come up with some recommendations. Do you know where the engine manufacturer rep is? Try them. Oops. It looks like the moderator can help. Dan.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mtndewdewd

Ok, 1/4 needle didn't have any effect.

It's a Tillotson HR 14 A MP4 carb and 3W says stock settings are 3/4-H and 2-L. I reset to that, and there was no change. I enrichened up to 3 on the low and leaned down to 1 on the low and there was no difference. It acts the same regardless of the low settings??

I also noticed at the stock settings, if after I choke it and it POP's, then choke off - it's always 4 more flips until it tries to start. I can then leave the choke off and keep flipping and it seems that at 10-15 flips it will POP again.... then 10-15 more it will pop again. Really sounds like it's lean on the low end, but there was no effect all the way up to 3 full turns out from flush??

Put a freshly charged battery on the ignition and it had no effect.

Does this help anyone with any more ideas?

Thanks again guys for the help.

more than likely something is gunked up in the carb...... i have an 80xi that had been problematic for over a year..... i ordered a brand new factory replacement tillotson from Aircraft Int...problem still existed.... i even changed ignition modules...no help .................. problem solved when i went to a DA85 Carb a Walbro wj 71 problems solved! try rebuilding the carb as suggested....if not buy a walbro...they are less finicky that tillotsons

EDIT my brother has a 3W 157, the 170 is essentially the same motor bored out... if you want i can ask him for the walbro carb part number...he is also running a walbro carb on his...
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starting method is OK, but shows a lean condition. Since opening up the low needle does not change the item, it only is to reason to look for fuel flow restrictiions. So check for (my personal check list):

1) carb dirty: clean up well, especially the internal carb strainer. Look for gum deposits.

2) check fuel passages,

3) check pump pulse connection,

4) check for nice flabby diaphragm parts. Replace them if a tad of doubt!

5) check fuel line from tank to carb. It must hold vacuum without air bubbles appearing

6) check the tank filter. Remove it temporarily. If the engine now runs well, replace the filter clunk

7) check the fuel line integrity from clunk to carb. (a pressure test will be best)

Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds like a pulse leak. no pulse, no pump...No pump,runs out the choke and stops...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Common with plastic 3w insulator blocks. Remove, flat sand, and re-seal. Or remove and verify alignment with pulse port.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 PM
mtndewdewd

Took the carb off, it was a little gummy, but I have seen worse that were still running ok.

I cleaned it up, and went to re-install it and realized the carb bolts were stripped. They would not tighten up. I am now wondering if it was sucking air and was the original problem?

Drove down to Tucson today and drove back with a motor running like a top!!

What a GREAT experience. In no-time Jeff had the engine tore down and checked the condition of everything. Replaced the carb bolts and put a new carb kit in on my request. He said it looked good, but since it sat for so long I wanted to do it for my peace of mind I also told him about how my throttle arm setup was not working ideally and within a few minutes he had a new one slapped on that will work PERFECT!

This is my first 3W so I had lots of questions and he had no problem taking him time for me and showing me all the components (and only charged me for the labor to repair

A quick trip to the test bench and that 170 was screaming!! Jeff showed me lots of oil on the carb/reed blocks where there should not be oil. Looks like it was the stripped bolts afterall. Everything else checked out OK and I should be good to go for a long time.

Can't say enough about Cactus Aviation, Jeff, and the service I received. Whether you have a 3W and need info/parts/repair; or any RC needs (planes/accessories/etc) - don't hesitate to call Jeff at Cactus Aviation. you will be taken care of quickly, properly and at a great price!

Thanks again Jeff - can't wait for the next opportunity to do business with you.