Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 30 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Is that the side carb version DLE 30or the rear carb version?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Cliff.Baker71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear carb.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:26 PM
F-16WpnsTech

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech

Don't mean to hijack the thread but my problem is similar with the 30: engine runs fine in the air (some burble at mid-throttle), but when I roll inverted from straight and level flight, dead stick! Think this might also be a needle setting as noted above? Thanks.
Stiff fuel line in tank - holding the clunk/pick-up out of the fuel? Does it quit right away or after a few seconds?
Right away. After starting, I picked it up, had a friend go to WOT and I rolled it over myself....quit!
What I was wondering is if it's quitting after burning the fuel in the line between the carb and clunk, like after the clunk has been lifted out of the fuel because of a stiff fuel line? That might take a couple of seconds (vs. immediately after rolling inverted). That's where I would go first anyway. All else being equal, I'm not sure what else may change going inverted?

Well, I checked out the line in the tank today and it's fine...took it outside, richened low needle about a quarter of a turn, WOT, rolled it over, runs like a champ. Who knows why?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 AM
captinjohn

I sure do not know why. The main thing It appears you found a way to correct the inverted problem. That may help others too. It will interesting too see if that fix works after several test flights. Thanks Capt,n
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Maybe you had your low end too lean?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Maybe you had your low end too lean?
Ya...but which guy? There is Cliff Baker71 and another guy...F-16WpnsTeck. Did both guys get there DLE30,s runing good, not just on the ground...but in actual flying??????
Old 04-18-2011, 05:49 PM
F-16WpnsTech

Fixed on the ground yesterday, but haven't put it in the air to windy this weekend and tornadoes every hundred yards, j/k. I also have an idling problem that I'll start on another thread. I'm gonna take some video so the masses can "hear" the problem. Thanks guys, my apologies to Walley.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
captinjohn

There seems to be no end of what has been written on the beloved Dle30. Also looks like much more to come. ! Capt,n
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM
doublesixes

If not for my beloved/trusted DL 50, I would have given up on this hobby altogether thanks to the infamous DLE 30 (V1).

That thing drove me nuts each and every time I used it in actual flying. The motor would work acceptably (kind of) if flown straight and leveled but when attempting high alpha situations and inverted, it quits. I'd say 60-70% deadstick landings with some of those ending in walk-of-shame-bring-the-bag-along kinda landings.

I did the fuel lines/tank three times, all by the book with top of the line brands, 5.5 V lipo regulated CDI, NGK spark, 30:1 Motul 800, balanced prop, etc. Tuned the engine myself and several others with vast gas experience to no avail. I just gave up on that thing. Very frustrating.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Cliff.Baker71

Mine was running great, until the other day, I'm in the process of checking fuel screen in carb and diaghram. Will reply with results. I installed a ngk plug w/proper gap (.18-.20) and it ran much better.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 PM
doublesixes

I decided to give my 30 another chance so I ordered the carb conversion kit from Tower. Not sure when I'll have a chance to do the mod but will report here once that happens. I just want to have another working gasser beside my 50cc planes.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Cliff.Baker71

My last flight was without incedent regarding the engine, my last ground test was not so good, I've since checked the fuel screen and diaghram in the carb, nothing! I set needles back to near factory settings, will see how that does. New NGK and fresh fuel mix.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Cliff.Baker71

This is my first gasser, lots of nitro stuff in the hanger, many guys at my club are running these engines,50's and some 30's, no real issues after they get broken in. My 30 ran great on the test stand with 4 tanks ran through it, mounted the engine in inverted as usual, seems to run fine in the air, but does'nt want to idle for too long on the ground, I think this will go away with more running time.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Cliff.Baker71

Mine also seems to like it a little rich on the low end, leaned it out and it acted like it was starving for fuel.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 PM
captinjohn

Let the engine warm up for a while under a slight load. It may throttle up better after fully warmed up. In fact you want to tune the engine when it is fully warmed up. I been getting lots more flying in and I leaned the top end more. It runs very good now. I got a 19x8 Xoar prop...but I like the 20x6 Master Airscrew better. The airplane I have is real sleek and a 6 inchpitch prop is better for a tad slower landings. Capt,n
Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Cliff.Baker71

After further inspection I found the plate on the carb with the big screw, where the fuel screen is, was loose! No more problems, runs great, flies great!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Gabrielsande

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys, just sharing my experience, with these engines, have 2 planes with dles 30, both from goldwings my first one a sukhoi su26 and the latest one a mx2 which i was using a nice saito fg30 and decide to replace it to gain more power and lose weight.

Anyway sukhoi was pulling always strong using a gsonic 18x8, over reeving a bit on the downlines so you have to take care, so tunning was easy from new both needles 2 turns open, then at full power closed the high end one until peak and then opened a touch to get it a tad rich in the ground about 300rpm lose, low end the same closing until getting a nice smooth idle with no 4 stroking and opened it until throttle reponse was good, this will take time because they takes a bit to show the changes, so best to adjust apply full throttle couple of times and wait, they will always idle a bit higher and after a wile drop few rpm, so normally I program an idle up, to fly and less rpm to land, altough in the air when hot they tends to keep the idle better.

So after a wile flying noticed it was going quite rich inverted, and losing some power when going from inverted to the vertical, never quited, so with a friends help, we tunned the carburattor with the plane inverted and once perfect turned it upright running and it died, too lean! so came back to re set it again as it was before the trick is to get the low end as lean as possible without compromising the transition, but the burbling will be there when inverted, here tunning the engine in the ground confirmed no gforce was affecting the carburattor, just changing the engine position was changing the mixture

Reading a lot here about it someone mention about the carb position, being the engine inverted the fuel chamber is on the top so when inverted pressure could vary, but in my planes due to the servo position I had inverted the carb since the first day, having the same resaults. well then I changed all the gaskets in it re setted the fuel needle leaver height,and played with the little leaver going richer and leaner between flights with no succes, always going rich inverted.

Then then I got my new dle for the mx2, and after braking in tunned the carb, as the other, and once in the air.... the same!! they uses different exhausts apart from that they are identical setups, but I got very surprised when testing a gsonic 18x10 instead the 18x8, after switching props it was a different engine, it was very smooth and almost perfect inverted, just some 4 stroking but just a little at very low speeds, with this prop plane goes nice maybe too fast for slow harriers and knife edge which I have to make ,with little throttle, so I think a 19x8 will do better, but my theory is a prop which is more efficient with higher load will consume the excess of fuel resaulting in a better combustion.

After this came back to the 18x8 and it was the same going very reach inverted, so I invite you guys to try a bigger prop to check if the problem gets better, so far Im quite happy as it is doing all the 3d stuff without missing a beat.

Anyway just wanted to share my experience with the issue!

Last edited by Gabrielsande; 08-10-2013 at 05:42 PM.