Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 30 stalling

Reply
Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM
  #1
walleyevision
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: GAHANNA, OH
Posts: 112
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DLE 30 stalling

I have a dle 30 with about 1 1/2 gallons thru it. It starts and runs great, but here is the problem. It is prone to stalling when inverted or vertical. I am turning an 18 x8 at about 7800, just a bit below peak. I have checked and re-checked the fuel system and all is fine. It is the latest version with a rear carb. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
walleyevision is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 PM
  #2
w8ye
Moderator
 
w8ye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Shelby, OH
Posts: 37,523
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Did you change the spark plug to the NGK CM-6 yet?

The DLE spark plug is very unreliable
w8ye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
  #3
Cliff.Baker71
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 36
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

I have about a half gallon through mine so far, seems like it does not like to run at low idle for very long, seems to choke out and is hard to start there after. Does yours have this symptom? Mine seems to prime easily with about 5 flips.
Cliff.Baker71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
  #4
vertical grimmace
 
vertical grimmace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ft collins , CO
Posts: 7,140
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Cliff.Baker71

I have about a half gallon through mine so far, seems like it does not like to run at low idle for very long, seems to choke out and is hard to start there after. Does yours have this symptom? Mine seems to prime easily with about 5 flips.
Sounds lean, on low end
vertical grimmace is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 AM
  #5
av8tor1977
 
av8tor1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,937
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Or rich. Sometimes a rich engine will idle, then slow down, then quit as the engine slowly loads up with too much fuel. Hard starting afterwards might be because it is flooded.

AV8TOR
av8tor1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
  #6
apalsson
 
apalsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,300
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

The mid range will tell you if the low end is richh or lean (assuming the top end is correct)
Burbly mid range indicates a rich low end
apalsson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 PM
  #7
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Cliff.Baker71

I have about a half gallon through mine so far, seems like it does not like to run at low idle for very long, seems to choke out and is hard to start there after. Does yours have this symptom? Mine seems to prime easily with about 5 flips.
If it chokes out like you say... the low end mixture is too rich! You can tell that too on restart...it will be hard to start and puff out smoke just before it starts again. Capt,n
captinjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
  #8
jerdavis
 
jerdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 204
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Cliff Baker:

My DLE 30 acts the same.
It wouldn't idle very long....sounded like it was loading up rich, but it would idle worse whether adjusted richer or leaner.

In a high G turn at idle it would act like it was running out of fuel and die. By adjusting metering pin lever, closer to the diaphragm, (so the diaphragm can open the meter pin easier) the symptoms have improved. (I need to fiddle with it more.) It looks to me like there isn't enough vacuum at idle to open the metering diaphragm and pin unless the lever is adjusted exactly right. Maybe the metering spring is too strong.

I had turned the carb over from its original position. Thus the G forces would tend to pull the diaphragm toward the closed position, so at idle the engine would die from fuel starvation when making the turns to a landing.

If the carb was turned the other way it would probably cause trouble when flying inverted.

Any way, try adjusting the metering pin lever to see if that will help.

Jerry
jerdavis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM
  #9
ahicks
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,457
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: walleyevision

I have a dle 30 with about 1 1/2 gallons thru it. It starts and runs great, but here is the problem. It is prone to stalling when inverted or vertical. I am turning an 18 x8 at about 7800, just a bit below peak. I have checked and re-checked the fuel system and all is fine. It is the latest version with a rear carb. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
I'm assuming this is at or near wide open throttle (WOT)? I had one making me absolutely crazy for a while last season. Same thing, went through everything, incuding carb, several times. All over the carb adjustments. Dead stick landing followed any extended attempt at vertical climb. Then one of the fellow club flyers suggested I hold the nose of the plane up with engine at WOT, just like I did when checking a nitro plane. Well, that point out, with no doubt, the plane was going lean, though I thought I had the carb set up fairly well. Went a tad richer on the high speed and no more trouble.

Point is, I found though it's obviously much more difficult handleing a DLE30 powered plane, nose up at WOT check is just as necessary to assure proper performance as it was when checking a nitro plane.... FWIW
ahicks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
  #10
BarracudaHockey
Community Moderators
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,465
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Lots of good suggestions, just make sure you're looking for horses when you hear hoves before looking for zebras.

Is the plug an NGK or original? If its not a CM6 replace it with one.

Is the plug gap set correctly?

Does it have a fuel filter inline? If yes, clean it out.

Have you checked the screen in the carb? Lawn mower shops sell rebuild kits with that screen in them or clean it with brake kleen.
BarracudaHockey is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
  #11
Cliff.Baker71
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 36
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Still the stock plug, will replace that right away, yes on the inline filter, have not yet checked for debris. Will reply with results. Thanks!
Cliff.Baker71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 PM
  #12
av8tor1977
 
av8tor1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,937
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Yes, please let us know how it turns out.

AV8TOR
av8tor1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
  #13
Eganwp
 
Eganwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Posts: 756
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Rear carb or side carb? The side carbs are known to have the issue, hence the revision change & rear mounting kit.

If it's rear carb, you likely have a diaphram pressure issue. Tap the cover and run a line into your fuse (pill bottle optional).
Eganwp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 PM
  #14
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Eganwp

Rear carb or side carb? The side carbs are known to have the issue, hence the revision change & rear mounting kit.

If it's rear carb, you likely have a diaphram pressure issue. Tap the cover and run a line into your fuse (pill bottle optional).
I agree....most likely cause I think ! Capt,n
captinjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
  #15
F-16WpnsTech
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NtheStiks, VA
Posts: 324
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Don't mean to hijack the thread but my problem is similar with the 30: engine runs fine in the air (some burble at mid-throttle), but when I roll inverted from straight and level flight, dead stick! Think this might also be a needle setting as noted above? Thanks.
F-16WpnsTech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM
  #16
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Could be...goes from rich...to too rich...quits..............Not good ! Forgot....look at the sparkplug color....should be lite tan in color. Do that right after a hard run and quick land............
captinjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 AM
  #17
ahicks
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,457
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech

Don't mean to hijack the thread but my problem is similar with the 30: engine runs fine in the air (some burble at mid-throttle), but when I roll inverted from straight and level flight, dead stick! Think this might also be a needle setting as noted above? Thanks.
Stiff fuel line in tank - holding the clunk/pick-up out of the fuel? Does it quit right away or after a few seconds?
ahicks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 AM
  #18
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

My suggestion to you guys that have this inverted problem is to fix up a nice padded stand to run you plane and engine inverted. You will need help doing so...but worth the trouble. Capt,n
captinjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 AM
  #19
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

More....when I had my DLE30 cc engineon a test stand I moved the tank 10 inches higher and 10 inches lower than than carb while running....absolutely no change in running. Your milage may vary! Capt,n
captinjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 PM
  #20
doublesixes
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: santa ana, CA
Posts: 231
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

No matter what I do or how I tune my DLE 30 (V1), it runs poorly and invariably dies, either taxiing or in flight (3D flight especially). The engine has a mortal design flaw and I basically got fed up with it. I believe this line of engines was brought to market too soon and lots of unsuspecting customers are paying the price with crashed airplanes. DLE acted irresponsibly and needless to say, that was the last time I bought from them.
doublesixes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:24 AM
  #21
ahicks
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,457
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: doublesixes

No matter what I do or how I tune my DLE 30 (V1), it runs poorly and invariably dies, either taxiing or in flight (3D flight especially). The engine has a mortal design flaw and I basically got fed up with it. I believe this line of engines was brought to market too soon and lots of unsuspecting customers are paying the price with crashed airplanes. DLE acted irresponsibly and needless to say, that was the last time I bought from them.
Yes. They're junk. If you'll shoot me a PM I'll give you an address you can send it to for recycling. I hear they'll even pay the shipping.

On a more serious note, if you can't get yours into tune, I have to believe it's broke, or you're doing something wrong. The engine is awesome.
ahicks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 AM
  #22
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,873
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ahicks


Quote:
ORIGINAL: doublesixes

No matter what I do or how I tune my DLE 30 (V1), it runs poorly and invariably dies, either taxiing or in flight (3D flight especially). The engine has a mortal design flaw and I basically got fed up with it. I believe this line of engines was brought to market too soon and lots of unsuspecting customers are paying the price with crashed airplanes. DLE acted irresponsibly and needless to say, that was the last time I bought from them.
Yes. They're junk. If you'll shoot me a PM I'll give you an address you can send it to for recycling. I hear they'll even pay the shipping.

On a more serious note, if you can't get yours into tune, I have to believe it's broke, or you're doing something wrong. The engine is awesome.
If you get a DLE30 with the rear intake...a good carb...and the right CD unit with the correct advance curve, it is kinda awsome. Oh yes & a Piston ring that is not too hard !
captinjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 AM
  #23
kerwin50
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston, MO
Posts: 1,378
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling

Change your diaphram spring, several RCGF's had this same problem and id cured them,The spring tension is weak from what I'm told
kerwin50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:52 AM
  #24
F-16WpnsTech
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NtheStiks, VA
Posts: 324
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ahicks


Quote:
ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech

Don't mean to hijack the thread but my problem is similar with the 30: engine runs fine in the air (some burble at mid-throttle), but when I roll inverted from straight and level flight, dead stick! Think this might also be a needle setting as noted above? Thanks.
Stiff fuel line in tank - holding the clunk/pick-up out of the fuel? Does it quit right away or after a few seconds?
Right away. After starting, I picked it up, had a friend go to WOT and I rolled it over myself....quit!
F-16WpnsTech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 AM
  #25
ahicks
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,457
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 30 stalling


Quote:
ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ahicks


Quote:
ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech

Don't mean to hijack the thread but my problem is similar with the 30: engine runs fine in the air (some burble at mid-throttle), but when I roll inverted from straight and level flight, dead stick! Think this might also be a needle setting as noted above? Thanks.
Stiff fuel line in tank - holding the clunk/pick-up out of the fuel? Does it quit right away or after a few seconds?
Right away. After starting, I picked it up, had a friend go to WOT and I rolled it over myself....quit!
What I was wondering is if it's quitting after burning the fuel in the line between the carb and clunk, like after the clunk has been lifted out of the fuel because of a stiff fuel line? That might take a couple of seconds (vs. immediately after rolling inverted). That's where I would go first anyway. All else being equal, I'm not sure what else may change going inverted?


ahicks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:24 PM.