Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Throttle servo glitching

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM
niteowl5001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle servo glitching

Hello guys, I have a BME 50 in a Katana. At half throttle the ignition servo which is a hitec servo is fine. If i exceed half throttle the servo glitches. It drops in and out of full throttle and where have the throttle stick set on my radio. I've swapped the servo and the c&h ignition. Any ideas????? Thanks

John Franklin
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Throttle servo glitching

There is something about your installation that is letting R.F. noise from you ignition get into your servo signal line.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Also make sure you don’t have a loose wire connection on the switch or some part like that. If it starting to break away from the connection that could be an issue. Are you running a regulator on the battery?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post some images of your installation. It would certainly help. dan.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Also, start changing the things in your ignition system you haven't already changed. You may be having a vibration problem that occurrs at a certain RPM and not at the other RPMs. Dan.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM
STUKA BARRY

Make sure theres no metal to metal at the carb. Make sure the ignition box far away from the reciever.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: niteowl5001

Hello guys, I have a BME 50 in a Katana. At half throttle the ignition servo which is a hitec servo is fine. If i exceed half throttle the servo glitches. It drops in and out of full throttle and where have the throttle stick set on my radio. I've swapped the servo and the c&h ignition. Any ideas????? Thanks

John Franklin
Sounds like you are getting RF interference. Just check these few things:
NO metal to metal between the sero and throttle - always use nylon rod etc,
Make sure the cap is fixed tight over the plug - push the cap on as hard as it will go, all the way over the hex base of the plug.
Seperate the Rx from the CDI - make sure there is as much gap in the installation as possible to suppress any interference.
Regardless of 2.4, 35, 36 or 72mHz, these are some of the basics when running gas engines.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 AM
niteowl5001

yes I am running a regulator on the battery.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Put a torroid ring on your throttle's servo wire, next to the servo. You're inducing RF noise from your ignition, likely due to setup.

If you ever get into FPV you'll quickly become familiar with RF and the extreme importance of installation, shielded wire, physical separation & torroid rings. I currently have over 25 of them installed in my long range FPV bird w/ absolutely 0 range loss with a 1W VTx blasting nearby!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Basic installation errors is systems assemblies or components. The ignition is probably just fine. Look for other things you've used or done that have generated the problem.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a RF problem once and couldn't find the problem. A friend came up and looked at the spark plug and it was a non-resistor plug for a lawn mower. Apparently one of my sons had swapped plugs on me?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I had a RF problem once and couldn't find the problem. A friend came up and looked at the spark plug and it was a non-resistor plug for a lawn mower. Apparently one of my sons had swapped plugs on me?
LOL!

A bad NimH RX pack caused my buddy some grief. When charging or conditioning the pack seemed fine (it was a 6v 3300mah pack).

Anyway, after about 5 minutes a flight time, he would get 'hits' on his throttle and elevator... This was with a FM system. He changed switches, extensions, servos, ignitions... lots of stuff..

nothing change, he still got the hits.

Anyway, he decided to use a A123 for the rx. He hasn't got a hit since he changed..

BTW, the nimh pack seems fine, by all counts... I guess the nominal voltage could drop enough (during flight).. to cause some type of glitch. maybe?