Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55 vs OS GT55

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
warbird addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE 55 vs OS GT55

Anytime you start making choices regarding rc engines some things to be considered are power to rpm ,power to weight,price, warrantee , service, longevity,budget restrictions and the fragile nature of our hobby, somewhere in there you will find a happy medium that meets your budget and that satisfies your needs for your particular style of flying.
The difference between running out and buying the most expensive everything you can find and being thrifty can mean as much as a $1000 difference on a 50 cc bird all components considered so it pays to do your homework but that doesn't mean go buy the cheapest just because it's the cheapest or the most expensive just because it's the most expensive.
I personally own 3W, Evolution, OS, DA, DL, DLE,JC,FPE,Saito,Zenoah,and Brison engines and they ALL run spectacularly alll of them were bought for different reasons, size, weight,power, warrantee,and price etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: SitNFly

ORIGINAL: Dick T.
I know of one DA-50, after two trips back to DA, that went into a dumpster at a fly-in.
I bet there was some dumpster diving after that!
I'm sure there was!

Don't know who has it now of if they ever got it to run right. The fellow who dumped it was just tired of fooling with it's inconsistent running. He bought a NIB one on the spot, mounted it and flew the rest of the weekend without a hitch.

I know of other engines guys sold for cheap, or gave away, because it didn't run right for them. The receiver had some of them later running just fine.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

It is hard for me to believe that a particular DA-50 or a Corvette cannot be made to run. It is just that the amount of time to ''engineer'' the solution exceeds the value of the product. Lemon laws would not exist were it not for the production/manufacturing failures that exist.

Cost of repair is not something to be take lightly... ''I will never crash, so the cost is irrelevant.'' is a head buried in sand approach. I know that I have had difficulties with OS glo engines. As my experience increased, those problems came less often. I will not buy a used engine. If I have a good running engine, I don't care what ... I am keeping it. I only sell stuff that I have problems with.
Could not agree with your more. I rarely part with any of my engines and 98% of the time purchase new.

I'm sure the factory solved the problem Corvette and it probably became a factory driver, movie car or a test mule. It is my understanding they cannot sell a problem car that has returned to the factory before being sold. A recalled vehicle can be such as the first ZR-1's with the DOHC aluminum engine that suffered camshaft breakage. Drove the engineers nuts until it was discovered a transporter driver was flooring them in first gear across the lot to the transporter. No warm up for good oil circulation.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I wouldnt say anything negative about either motor,the dle line up made flying gassers affordable for folks like me with limited funds.if have the funds to burn then by all means go with os or a DA 50 or some other expensive motor,my only question with Os is why enter the market now .there are numerous makes of reliable gas engines at a much smaller price.but hey, each to their own.just fly and have fun..
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts for after-market service are very important. I spend a lot of my time helping guys I never heard of to get their replacement parts. Buying the engine new is only half the story. If you start using it, will it eventually become a paperweight, or can you service it to keep it running?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SitNFly

ORIGINAL: Dick T.
I know of one DA-50, after two trips back to DA, that went into a dumpster at a fly-in.
I bet there was some dumpster diving after that!
I'd would have been surprised if a fight didn't ensue afterwards trying to be the first in the dumpster. LOL
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
pauldo

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Cost of repair is not something to be take lightly... ''I will never crash, so the cost is irrelevant.'' is a head buried in sand approach. I know that I have had difficulties with OS glo engines. As my experience increased, those problems came less often. I will not buy a used engine. If I have a good running engine, I don't care what ... I am keeping it. I only sell stuff that I have problems with.
Funny, I hang on to the engines I am having trouble with, as I cannot bring myself to pass on my problems to another fellow modeler. I only sell motors that I know are running well, and can sell with confidence. I would sincerely hope that the majority of modelers think the same way????

Hopefully you were just making a point?

I have not seen an OS GT 55 run yet, but have heard they run well. A guy at our club has two, and says he has had no problems. I have tried a number of Chinese engines, and had my fair share of trouble. I recently aquired a DA 50, and I have to say it is a very nice engine. Easy to start, little Viabration, but maybe not as poweful as some other 50's. It certainly has made for hassle free flying.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Slow and Steady

I have a DLE 55 that has 160 10 minute flights since last fall, when purchased new. It will turn a Vess 22B (similar to a 22 10) at 7200 rpm and a Vess 23 B at 6800. Very dependable and easy to start. Recently had tuning issues that turned out to be related to the Walbro carb's internal screen filter located under the diaphram. After cleaning what seamed like lint coating the screaning I continued to have tuning issues and decided to install a new carb I purchased during the diagnosis process. Although the new carb was probably not necessary, it only cost $39. The plane is now running like a top. It gives my EF yak unlimited and fast vertical climbs. With the vendors discount, I paid $360 for the engine; and it weighs approximatey 8 oz less than the OS GT55, and the OS doesn't come with a muffler.

Recently I held both engines, one in each hand. The difference in size was striking, with the OS significantly larger - hence 8 oz heavier. The DLE also appears to be of good quality, not necessarily OS quality, but it does run like a top. It kind of makes you wonder if DLE isn't dumping on the world market. Ironically, some thought the Japenese were doing the same with power tools in the late 70's and early 80's. If I am not mistaken, back then Makita power tools were about half the price of American brands of similar or lesser quality.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Andika

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03
my only question with OS is why enter the market now .there are numerous makes of reliable gas engines at a much smaller price.
Nitro is becoming expensive and they dont sell as glow engines as they did expect. They also have new electric motors because Lipos are the future. Yes I know the GT55 is overpriced but they will sell it easily coz marketing + reliability from OS are anywhere in the world.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 PM
GM1

I have an OS 55 GT in my Pilot 30% Sbach. Drove me crazy trying to start it at first as I was listening to all the gasser "experts" at my local field and had it screwed up as a soup sandwich. Went home and put everything back to factory settings and then went to the field ALONE. Motor started, made enough power to fly so I flew it. As I got a little time on it, it starts the same way every time, idled reliably, made excellent power on 32:1 dino oil and would pull the model straight up on take off with a Vess 22B prop. After I got some time on it, I switched to 40:1 oil and a Vess 23B prop. Motor is smoother with the bigger prop, has more pull, slows down better, starts the same way every time, and has not quit in the air. So far it has done everything I asked it to and has been easy to tune and work with. Appears to have power of a DA60 or very close to it. I really want to try a 24 inch prop as I can hear the prop cavitate under certain conditions and would like to keep the noise down as much as possible.
Gordie
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

OS = overpriced.

AV8TOR
The 33GT is certainly not overpriced, especially after you apply Tower's 60$ knock off and OS's 30$ rebate. I've got several of them