Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ign switch location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: ign switch location?

I suggest it be in a place that is intuitive. Some stranger walking up should be able to see and recognize which switch kills the engine.
It is a safety thing not a convience.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

This should help. Here's an RCxel instruction sheet I found that includes a paragraph about mounting their ignition module. Dan.
Thats great but I'd emphasize he's talking about the switch, not the module.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignition manufacturers state "any part of the ignition cirquit"
Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Place the ignition switch in the area of your ignition away from the receiver section of the plane. Like at rear edge of cowl in front of wing. Then you can place your ignition switch behind the wing towards tail. Try to seperate the rec circut from the ignition circut. Keep things simple. Capt,n
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Mister moderator but the ignition switch and its wires are just as contaminated with potential interference as the module. Dan.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Just as an FYI, I'm only a moderator in the heli section. Here I'm just a very experienced modeler that has a whole lot of real life experience working on electronics and wiring for a living.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An excellent technical background. Then you are well aware of the electromagnetic field that exists around the module and all its components. The wires from the module can pick up a signal from that field by radiation or conduction. Since the wavelength at 2.4 Gigahertz is around five inches those wires represent a substantial antenna in a very high field intensity. The antennas from the receiver are only quarter wavelength stubs and they are cutting through a very low RF field intensity. If the pickup from the radiation doesn’t get you the conduction down those wires directly from the module will. You’re always better off on the safe side by keeping all the ignition components well away from the receiver even though you do not detect any interference. Luckily for everyone tuned in, I’m not the only one proposing this. I have posted documentation from Futaba, JR, Hitec, DLE and RCxel recommending these procedures. Dan.