Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-30 Fuel Tank Size?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default DLE-30 Fuel Tank Size?

Hi Guys,
I am building a 25% Gee Bee "Y" from Henry Haffke plans. I am installing a DLE-30 engine in the plane and was wondering what would be a good size tank for this plane for say a 15min flight? I am having to move the firewall back about 1.5" so the available space is getting smaller.

Also I want to hide the ignition behind the dummy radial and I do not think it will get much airflow, is this a concern for the ignition?

I have 3 other larger gassers and did not have to worry about these issues.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE-30 Fuel Tank Size?

Hi,

engine should burn about an ounce a minute at full throttle.

Elson
Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
WacoNut

Thanks for the tip!!
Anthony
Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a DLE 30 in a 3DHS 72" Extra330SC with a 12oz tank.

Flight timer is 12 minutes and I land with 1/2 tank of fuel. IMAC style flying
Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
WacoNut

Thanks,
I think I have enough room for a 14oz tank. The tank will be located right about the CG.

Can the ignition be mounted behind the firewall or is this a bad idea? I am wanting to put a Williams Brothers dummy 1/4 scale Wasp radial up front and this will not leave anywhere to put the ignition on the face of the firewall. I can probably add some cheater holes to get air thru the firewall to the ignition and it will have an open cockpit to help the airflow.
Anthony
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say 6-10, 12 if you are reluctant to go any smaler ..theres no need for more. i went from a 32 oz on my 3w80 to a 20 ounce and i can fly enough...same thing on my 50cc birds.. i went from 24 ounce tanks to 16 ounce tanks and i can fly mostly WOT for 8 minutes and have more than enough gas when i land

you'll be surprised at how little fuel our gas engines burn engines

according to the 3 wisemen, the ignition must be at least 12" from the receiver. ive done less and range checked ok...
Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
WacoNut

Thanks!!
I have a 24oz in my 33% Cub with a YDA-56 and a 32oz in my 33% Waco with a 3W-157. I seem to always have a half tank or better when landing.

I am not concerned about interference with the ignition as much as it getting too hot. I am sure I will be able to get the receiver plenty far enough away from the ignition. I am not sure how much heat if any the ignition generates under normal use?
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what ive heard, the 3w ignitions are can get warm and are more sensitive to heat... but thats just hearsay because i havent actually felt my ignitions after i run them... TOM is a wise-man(wiseguy) maybe he knows [8D]
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Thanks!!
I have a 24oz in my 33% Cub with a YDA-56 and a 32oz in my 33% Waco with a 3W-157. I seem to always have a half tank or better when landing.

I am not concerned about interference with the ignition as much as it getting too hot. I am sure I will be able to get the receiver plenty far enough away from the ignition. I am not sure how much heat if any the ignition generates under normal use?
Thanks!!
Anthony
I wouldn't compare the tank requirement for something like a GeeBee to that of a light wing loading aerobatic plane. A guy can pretty much depend on making a landing everytime with the lighter plane but a heavier scale plane might take a few landing approaches and go arounds from time to time before one is happy setting it down. I'd always go with a slightly larger tank in a scale plane.

I wouldn't worry too much about putting the ignition behind the firewall. This is a fairly common practice (no other choice really) in smaller planes without much room between the firewall and the prop. I would think it would stay cooler behind the firewall than it would in a hot cowling. Again, aerobatic planes usually have a huge box structure behind the engine where batteries and ignition boxes can be mounted .... not so in many more scale planes.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 AM
WacoNut

Thanks for the tips guys,
I will most likey go with a 16oz tank. I think I can fit that without any issues. There should be ample room for the ignition behind the firewall as well. I am thinking my plane will be nose heavy so the batteries/revceiver etc will most likely move aft.
Thanks Again!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94096.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1599887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63856.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1599888