Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA / DL observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DA / DL observation

I might get started on it next week. Funny how this profile stuff is working out. A guy at work took the wings from my wrecked 35% Edge and plans on making a HUGE profile.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That should be cool. Biggest profile I've ever seen is a 50cc and that thing flies awesome.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the DLE's put out a lot of oil on the plane, when I break in a DA @ 32:1, its a mess?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Tired Old Man

You must be following DA's instruction set. None of the engines make all that much of a mess when things are done right.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM
MIXMASTER

Can anyone else BUT Tired Old Man answer my question? He can't seem to stop getting personal with his opinions and not answering my questions at all ***!!?? . If not, I'm off this Forum.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 AM
pe reivers

It's an exception for a new engine not to make a mess. It is very common that during the breaking in there will be black oil expelled. Chinese engines are no exception. Not better, not worse.
This item has been covered umpteen times here.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 AM
jedijody

I have no problem with a little oil on my plane after a day of flying. With experience you can even read the oil on the plane and see whats going on inside an engine, whether it's breaking-in, doing fine, or is possibly developing a problem. If one has a problem with the oil residue from a gasser burning 32:1 fuel mix I would invite them to run a 3.0 cu. in. glow engine on their plane for a while and see which one they like better. Or they could always go electric.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Tired Old Man

The amount of oil is relative to the mix ratio used. At 32-1, and I'm presuming at minimum you were using a 50cc engine since that's the smallest DA makes, you were over oiling the engine. You were also likely using an oil that is well noted for generating an amount of discolored residue well in excess of the norm. A 32-1 mix is not necessary for breaking in a 50cc engine when some relatively easy to use guidelines are followed. Thousands of engines are broken in and run (with extreme levels of success) using 40 and 50-1 mixes.

Properly done, the engine would generate either the same amount, or only slightly more, residue than it would during post break in running. The fact remains that all two stroke engines generate waste oil byproducts that exit the engine during running. Where that oil goes, and the amount, is the only question. The mix ratio and type of oil used determines how much oil will be purged during combustion cycles. At 18% to 20% oil, glow fuel still holds the top of the list for slimey, nasty, oil residue.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: jedijody

I have no problem with a little oil on my plane after a day of flying. With experience you can even read the oil on the plane and see whats going on inside an engine, whether it's breaking-in, doing fine, or is possibly developing a problem. If one has a problem with the oil residue from a gasser burning 32:1 fuel mix I would invite them to run a 3.0 cu. in. glow engine on their plane for a while and see which one they like better. Or they could always go electric.
It would be cool if there was a something similar to the "reading the spark plug" photo chart of spark plugs.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 AM
jedijody

It's not like plugs, different oils, ratios, and engines make that nearly impossible.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Mixmaster, once you get to know TOM you'll love him. I wish I lived closer. I'd sit in his shop daily and just drain his brain on gas engines. Dennis
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Tired Old Man

Hint: I am not, nor will I be, politically correct. I don't care if someone's feelings get hurt. When that happens it's a personal problem, theirs. I just try to get the message out quickly and accurately. I don't have time to hold hands and get warm and fuzzy.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 AM
MIXMASTER

Is 50:1 full synthetic OK for DLE111? (I'm planning on switching from Amsoil/Sabre to Stihl Ultra) What ratios are you guys running after breakin?
Also: is the carb(DLE111 again) a Tillotson brand or copy??
Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Now if I'm wrong TOM will tell me. All oils work, some better then others. Full synthrtic is always for me. The big thing is always mix by the ratio of the brand you use. Never add any extra for the wife and kids. If you ask which one is better this thread will go another twenty pages. I use the same for both new and used engines. I don't use a break in oil. What I got is what I use for everything.
You'll notice I woun't say what I us. Thats because someone woun't like it. Dennis
Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Tired Old Man

I've found a 50-1 mix of Stihl HP Ultra to be an excellent choice for breaking in 28cc to 150cc engines. A few thousand of them.

I'll let Jody address the carb.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 AM
MIXMASTER

My question was about ratio AFTER break in for the DLE111, NOT any other engines.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

ALL engines are made from the same basic materials, if the manufacturer wants some CYA he will recommend more oil...
FWIW we know from many tests that MORE oil makes MORE power....Like it or not, it' true....[>:]
Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: MIXMASTER

My question was about ratio AFTER break in for the DLE111, NOT any other engines.
Use Stihl Ultra 50:1 for the rest of the engine's life.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
jedijody

Is 50:1 full synthetic OK for DLE111? (I'm planning on switching from Amsoil/Sabre to Stihl Ultra) What ratios are you guys running after breakin?
Also: is the carb(DLE111 again) a Tillotson brand or copy??
The oil question should be asked of the company that will be administering your warranty, DLE recommends 30/32:1 as do I for the entire life of the engine. The current production carburetor is made by Emas, same company that has always made the carb for the 111. Though Tillotson repair kits fit it, it is not a copy of a Tillotson internally.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Tired Old Man

I'll diverge from Jody's position and say 50-1 is fine for the 111 after break in. 32-1 will provide a better ring seal during the first 25 hours or so of run time but after seating there's no reason to use that much unless we're protecting the engine from actions of the owner. I have at my fingertips far too many engines using 50-1 Stihl to say that more oil is neccessary.

If the user doesn't know what they are doing for cooling and tuning then more oil is better but it will not save the engine from user extremes. Neither oil ratio nor advanced engineering can offset user stupidity.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Sam-E

Do the DLE's put out a lot of oil on the plane, when I break in a DA @ 32:1, its a mess?
No they do not, a few small spots of carbon but it depends on the oil used, Motul runs pretty clean.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:16 AM
sandymann
My Feedback: (2)

I have a DLE that runs good during normal flight, but runs noticeably smoother and stronger during inverted flight. Any idea why?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Tired Old Man

Plug position is reversed and fuel cannot puddle at the spark plug well. The plug is running warmer and cleaner. Basic cause: gravity. Can't have it that way all the time and still fly aerobatics. A fixed plug orientation only works good for entry level trainers that never get rolled inverted.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TOM, is there any advantage in having the spark plug come in at a angle like some do? Thanks Capt,n