Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: RCG 20cc Gas engine

Very good advice.

Karol
Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok thats a hard fact right there and does not look good!

Ran mine with fully synthetic today at 30/1 at reset factory settings (turned out to be lean) with a 17 6 prop, flew the seagull yak 54 at 9.lbs 14 oz dry well (stronger than magnum 120 fs) for sport flyingbut no chance of puling out of a hover or unlimited vertical and had poor transition.This was just a test flight for balance and reliability not for power.

Tached the engine as dissapointed, got 7300 with the 17 6. Tuned top end and got 8700 to 8800 rpm as factory setting was lean and tweeked bottom forbetter transition unfortunatly weather (wind) stopped me getting another flight, I could have but would have been pushing my limited flying skills. Hopefully can test again tomorrow.

I have no dowbt that this engine will perform better tomorrow as the rpm to prop figures are thereso should have more punch but think for it to 3d a ten pound model is asking alot, thought my model was nearer the 9lb mark till I put it on the scales when I got home.

The engine ran without missing a beat for the short flight it had and tuned easily afterwards.

I also found damage to the top cooling fins on the cylinder head I imagine due to poor shipping and packing, although this did not and will not effect the running of the enginethis still should not be there.

Still happy with this engine for 160 dollars and think so far for a 8 to 9 lb model would pack a punch but I must admit the pictures and post above about the front bearing are a concern, if that happens to mine in a couple of months I will be p#####D

Will post a few pics and one of the crack on the fins that has been caused by poor packaging.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25937.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1618221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58182.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1618222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71634.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1618223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41292.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1618224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15542.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1618225  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry that you got a wanna-be dle20..I bought and love my dle30..I was thinking of getting the same engine you bought and even thought maybe you get what you pay for.or the other fact is if it sounds to good to be true etc etc. I will stick with dle..as for Hobby King.I am very dis-satisfied with their policy as well.I ordered a bunch of stuff back in april .when the parcel finally arrived at the post office and this was ordered from the us warehouse they not me used a wrong zip code and consequently the post office deemed it undeliverable and sent it back .here it is june now and no parcel.they wont refund it yet claiming they are waiting for the parcel.this has been since april 27th.I paid the money and wanted either a refund or just re-send the paid merchandise.nothing ! i HAD BOUGHT ALOT OF STUFF PRIOR TO THAT BUT STORIES LIKE YOURS AND MINE AND SOME OTHERS ARE FAIRLY COMMON AND IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE i EVER ORDER DIRECTLY FROM THEMAGAIN.

I feel your frustration!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

Evgeny-arm, good information you have shared with the forum and hopefully a good warning for anyone considering an RCG engine and/or HobbyKing as a source. What you found is no doubt what my engine includes also as the outside appearance is nothing but crap. The casting is terrible and mine has a hairline crack in the crankcase housing where the carb reed valve bolts. The worse thing about something like this is we really have no recourse and HobbyKing could care less - they have our money. I went thru something similar with XHeli a few months ago and Visa told me to work it out with XHeli. Guess who lost... I did, money down the drain.

There is a company in Florida called Troy Built Models http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ . Their prices are good, fast shipping, they sell DLE products, and they warranty their product. I have four DLE engines I bought from them and I received another DLE 20 today from them. Their current price for a DLE 20 with free shipping is $249. Thanks again for your informing post.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
raydar

To be honest im still on the fence with this engine, I just spent 2 hours reading the dle 20 thread and as far as I can see the rcg 20 beam mount is as strong going by my prop figures.

I think I will order a xoar 17 6 to compare prop rpm and thrust as my 176 is a bit of an unknown and how I can get 8900 with the 17 6I usewith only 14 lb thrust but the dle figures claim more thrust with less rpm confuse me?

The reliability has also got to belooked at. IF the rcgf is the same engine with better quality then it is a serious contender by my figures.

the quality still has to be proven for sure.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM
cphdrider

raydar,   you mention quality still has to be proved. Did you read the comments above by evgeny-arm that his engine started knocking and he found the front bearing to be too small for the crankcase and RCG has epoxied the bearing to take up the tolerance. Quality can't get much worse than that. I am going to run mine because I will not allow HobbyKing to jerk me around anymore than they already have. It will be a couple weeks before I finish the plane it is going in but I will post my result also.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

It's true. You get what you pay for!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
raydar

Evgeny-arm you need to use a bigger prop the thrust produced by a 16 6 master ispoor and the engine will be past its power curve, if you are getting 9200 rpm with the 16 6 try a 17 6 wooden prop for more thrust.

I see you have put a 16 6 woden prop on it now thatwill bebetter, it should still throw a 17 6 with good rpm.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 PM
raydar

ORIGINAL: mike31

It's true. You get what you pay for!
Remember the dle 20 was as cheap as chips from china not that long ago!

Sometimes theres a bargin to be had, but in general I would agree.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
raydar

Ok ran again today peaked at 8800 with a 17 6 jen engine wooden prop, flew plane much better and had good vertical, not a rocket. Just to remind all this is a 9 lb 14 oz plane dry!. Plane flew about screaming its head off but was not fast and throttle had no curve,was suggested a bigger pitch was required, I agreed and fitted the 17 8.

Tached 17 8 jen engine wooden prop which dropped top rpm to 8300 and flew, totally different plane. Now has a mid throttle and flys much faster with ample power for huge loops and vertical, this seems to be the perfect prop for this engine and airframeweight.

This engine is not going to 3d a 10 lb plane (no suprise) but is flying this plane with authority, more than sport flying. Now with the right prop and a 7 to8 lb plane it would be a great 3d match. For comparison the magnum 120 fs threw a 16 6 nylon at 8400 rpm, the rcg 20 a 17 8 wooden at 8300.

I had no problems with the engine today at all, one hour on the engine and it has been hammered. Still on the fence for reliability, far to early to tell and one good engine so far means little.

the seagull yak though did not fair quite so well, three easy hinges, one on the elevator and one on each aileron has failed with only 10 flights max on this frame, five with this engine and five with the magnum!. This stopped play for the day.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 PM
cphdrider

Evgeny-arm , what model Walboro carb kit did you use for the RCG 20cc?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Walbro K20-WAT repair kit

D10-WAT will give you just the diaphragms and the cover gaskets

Old 06-04-2011, 02:50 AM
cphdrider

w8ye , thanks for the info re Walbro repair kit. I have discussed technical issues with you before and find you to be a valuable sourceof technical information for RC products. I think I would speak for all RCUniverse members that you have helped - THANKYOU
Old 06-04-2011, 03:10 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: cphdrider

I have discussed technical issues with you before and find you to be a valuable source of technical information for RC products. I think I would speak for all RC Universe members that you have helped - THANK YOU
Ditto to all of the above.

Karol
Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Something definitely wrong with that cover. you shouldn't be able to see the diaphragm, which is on the wrong side...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

My mistake, you are right.Sorry...[]
Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys...
I have two of the RCG 20's. I had ordered a DLE 20, but Hobby King managed to screw that one up big time...and six months later, they sent me two RCG 20's for the funds on account and 50 plus bucks more. So here I sit with two of these suckers and wonder what I will receive.

I will for sure pull them appart and see what I find. This is my first venture into Gas engines...I've been a die hard two stroke glow flyer since...for ever.

There seems to be no real expert in our club with gas engines...but a dozen or so fly gasers. I would like to put this engine in a T.F. P-47 & P-51D I have...maybe I'll just bench run the heck out of them and see what I get.

What seems to be the best prop for this engine ?

Soft Landings Alwasy,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
raydar

Maybe you would like another opinion as mine seems to be the only one the now on this engine but for what its worth im flying a 17 8 at 8300 rpm and its fast and fun and pullshard. Now this is a jen engines wooden prop and im not sure how efficient it is as only pulls 14 lb thrust, but the engine handles it no prob.

I would start with a 17 6 for this engine and se how you get on, not sure exactly what prop clearance you have on the model you plan on fitting it to, if you are planning on a 3 blade prop let me know how you get on as may get another of these engines for a kit build skybolt.

Nind check your timing, mine was out from factory by quite a bit, set the point where the engine sparks on the hub roughly 8 mm before tdc.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:21 AM
raydar

Well I had 40 dollars tied up in store credit at hobbyking so needing another 20cc petrol engine for my being built skybolt and so far being happy with the rcg I have i've ordered another beam mount 20, will prob swap out the one fitted to the yak and test the one yet to be delivered ASAP to see how consistant these motors are.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
WildeOne
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ran my new RCGF 20 cc for the first time. Cheated and used an electric starter to get the gas moving, opened the choke, hit the starter and it started very quickly. Didn't carefully adjust H/L needles, but just ran it ~ 1.5+ turns out on each. Didn't tach it, it but idle was < 2K RPM and was smooth. Running a 16x6 nylon prop for breakin. Ran it for about an hour ... plan on running another hour or so, then mounting it on a 91" NP CMP Piper J3 120 with a 17x8 wood prop. It hand started with one flip after the initial start. Motor looks like a winner so far.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM
calnev4bob

The RCGF20 I have looks good; runs good; starts easily; The only downer I have with it is it could have a smaller muffler.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 AM
WildeOne
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a Pitts muffler on your 20. Takes very little space.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
cphdrider

Anyone reading this post should consider the following... a DLE 20 with 2.5HP, high quality materials, NGK CM6 spark plug, muffler silencer(for clubs that complain of noise), and free shipping for $249. Add tothat aUSA supplier that warrants/repairs his product. Remember... you get what you pay for! I was burned once on a RCG 20cc from Hobby King - never again!

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DLE20ENGINE.html
Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Guys,
I got burned from Hobby King too, and now ended up with two RCG 20's. Should I sell the engines and buy DLE 20's, or go with what I have...? I've heard both good and not so good about the RCG 20...the same with the DLE 20. I understand the DLE 20 is a better made engine, lighter and stronger. So whats the skivy guys...sell or go with them ?

I have a nice Top Flight P-51D and P-47 I could put these engines in and repower. I've a K&B 1.00 in the P-51D...gobs of power, but the low end seriously sucks and the P-47 is unbuilt.

Will the JTech in-cowl DLE 20 Pitts style muffler fit the RCG 20 ?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 PM
cphdrider

First of all... how did you end up with two RCG 20's? Second, sell them both and get a DLE 20. I had 3 DLE 20's and 2 DLE 30's when I bought the RCG 20cc of which I did only as an engine for a war bird I don't fly much. I have never had a problem with a DLE nor has anyone I fly with that has them. They are a very reliable engine and made of very good quality metals which is extremely important. You should go back in this post and you will see pictures of a RCG 20cc from Hobby King that had the crankshaft bearings expoxied in because of the lousy machine tolerances! Also, take a look at what I found on the one I bought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.