Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RCG 20cc Gas engine

My mistake, you are right.Sorry...[]
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys...
    I have two of the RCG 20's. I had ordered a DLE 20, but Hobby King managed to screw that one up big time...and six months later, they sent me two RCG 20's for the funds on account and 50 plus bucks more. So here I sit with two of these suckers and wonder what I will receive.

I will for sure pull them appart and see what I find. This is my first venture into Gas engines...I've been a die hard two stroke glow flyer since...for ever.

There seems to be no real expert in our club with gas engines...but a dozen or so fly gasers. I would like to put this engine in a T.F. P-47 & P-51D I have...maybe I'll just bench run the heck out of them and see what I get.

What seems to be the best prop for this engine ?

Soft Landings Alwasy,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe you would like another opinion as mine seems to be the only one the now on this engine but for what its worth im flying a 17 8 at 8300 rpm and its fast and fun and pullshard. Now this is a jen engines wooden prop and im not sure how efficient it is as only pulls 14 lb thrust, but the engine handles it no prob.

I would start with a 17 6 for this engine and se how you get on, not sure exactly what prop clearance you have on the model you plan on fitting it to, if you are planning on a 3 blade prop let me know how you get on as may get another of these engines for a kit build skybolt.

Nind check your timing, mine was out from factory by quite a bit, set the point where the engine sparks on the hub roughly 8 mm before tdc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I yet did not buy screws 17Ρ…6 (very rare size for my shops).
    But the motor now rotates the screw 16Ρ…6 on turns(turnovers) 8850rpm - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5530 .
    The model flies very confidently at weight 8.9lb.....
    Easily grows...
    On my motor very small(little) vibration on turns(turnovers) 1450 rpm.
    But I facilitated the piston and a rod as has processed a cranked shaft.
    But I have bought DLE-20s I put instead of RCG-20 and soon I learn(find out) a difference of these two engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I had 40 dollars tied up in store credit at hobbyking so needing another 20cc petrol engine for my being built skybolt and so far being happy with the rcg I have i've ordered another beam mount 20, will prob swap out the one fitted to the yak and test the one yet to be delivered ASAP to see how consistant these motors are.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just ran my new RCGF 20 cc for the first time. Cheated and used an electric starter to get the gas moving, opened the choke, hit the starter and it started very quickly. Didn't carefully adjust H/L needles, but just ran it ~ 1.5+ turns out on each. Didn't tach it, it but idle was < 2K RPM and was smooth. Running a 16x6 nylon prop for breakin. Ran it for about an hour ... plan on running another hour or so, then mounting it on a 91" NP CMP Piper J3 120 with a 17x8 wood prop. It hand started with one flip after the initial start. Motor looks like a winner so far.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The RCGF20 I have looks good; runs good; starts easily; The only downer I have with it is it could have a smaller muffler.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try a Pitts muffler on your 20. Takes very little space.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone reading this post should consider the following... a DLE 20 with 2.5HP, high quality materials, NGK CM6 spark plug, muffler silencer(for clubs that complain of noise), and free shipping for $249. Add tothat aUSA supplier that warrants/repairs his product. Remember... you get what you pay for! I was burned once on a RCG 20cc from Hobby King - never again!

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DLE20ENGINE.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay Guys,
    I got burned from Hobby King too, and now ended up with two RCG 20's. Should I sell the engines and buy DLE 20's, or go with what I have...? I've heard both good and not so good about the RCG 20...the same with the DLE 20. I understand the DLE 20 is a better made engine, lighter and stronger. So whats the skivy guys...sell or go with them ?

I have a nice Top Flight P-51D and P-47 I could put these engines in and repower. I've a K&B 1.00 in the P-51D...gobs of power, but the low end seriously sucks and the P-47 is unbuilt.

Will the JTech in-cowl DLE 20 Pitts style muffler fit the RCG 20 ?

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First of all... how did you end up with two RCG 20's? Second, sell them both and get a DLE 20. I had 3 DLE 20's and 2 DLE 30's when I bought the RCG 20cc of which I did only as an engine for a war bird I don't fly much. I have never had a problem with a DLE nor has anyone I fly with that has them. They are a very reliable engine and made of very good quality metals which is extremely important. You should go back in this post and you will see pictures of a RCG 20cc from Hobby King that had the crankshaft bearings expoxied in because of the lousy machine tolerances! Also, take a look at what I found on the one I bought.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought DLE-20.
    These engines not probably to compare - DLE-20 more powerfully, easier and very pleasantly looks.
    That I use the only thing from RCG-20 - the carburetor establishing(installing) it on DLE-20.
    Work of the carburetor is pleasant to me more, than that which stood on DLE-20.
    To sell RCG-20 I do not want, let remains as memory. Especially the engine works and will be useful if it will be necessary to make correction Center of Gravity models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the recomendation,
    I ended up with two of these RCG 20's...because I first ordered a DLE 20 from Hobby King...and the engine went "back order." After waiting five months and many conversations with H.K., H.K canceled my DLE 20 order, and gave me store credit. Hobby King refused to refund my money and believe me I tried for over a month-@!$%& H.K. has a real lousy customer service policy. I had $275.00 store credit, and for $54.00 I could get two RCG 20's. So now you know how I managed to get two of these engines, when I first wanted a DLE 20. I've put the engines up for sale on Craigslist...and any one can have them both for $300.00...shipped anywhere in the U.S.

The engines came with out a spark plugs...what would you recomend I use, for this engine ?

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NGK CM6 available at auto parts houses for approx $4 ea.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Positive in RCG-20 it is two rings and a high compression at start.
    In the winter, in a cold this engine should be started exclusively easily.

I was late with purchase DLE-20 at HK, but to pay BACKORDER did not become.
    Now I do not see a problem to buy this engine at Tower Hobbies.
    They to me allow every week such discount that the price quite pleasant, plus the introduction in
    Super Saver Club allows to receive DLE-20 at quite humane price.
    As if to whom that is inconvenient for buying at Tower Hobbies there is other shop -
    http://www.rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=2564.
    I bought the on rc-fans88.

And the main thing do not despair - RCG20 works and maintain it(him) it is possible.
    We address to HK when we want экномии, but miracles are not present, all costs(stands) on the money.
    That that HK imposed you these motors certainly is sad.
    Good luck to you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ran new RCGF 20 for another hour today. Installed a NGK CM6 plug before any running. Running 30:1 break in mix with a 16x8 nylon prop. Tached briefly at 9100, transitions nicely, idles fine. Starts were all one or two flips once fuel was to carb. Will change the prop to a 17x9 wood one before mounting in a plane. Next step is to mount it in the CMP Piper J3 120. Leaned the idle and HS needles for best running. No issues at all.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My RCGF beam mount 20 has been running great in my Sig clipped wing cub. Using a turnigy 17/8 beech prop, and the cub weighs 16 lbs. Using the choke, it starts easily. I'm running Opti-2 oil and regular gas. Have'nt touched the needles! I also have a RCGF 15, but haven't run it yet. Well made little motors.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vni-yJMco8 About a gallon so far,reliable power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Broke my 17 8 jen engine prop today after a dead stick with this engine, opened the high needle a touch and fitted a 17 6 jxf prop got 8400 rpm and flew well for another three flights. Felt that the 17 8 jen engine prop was better for for this engine as gave a bit more speed and mid range on the throttle curve.

Think my engine is needing another fine tune as a bit gurgly in the low mid range but did not bother today as still running a super oily mix and was in a flying mood not a tinkering mood.

Also got a 16 8 3 graupner delivered today and was going to try it on this engine but the prop comes with a massive prop hole pre drilled will have to find a spacer for this prop to fit this engine, will post how I get on with that when I get a spacer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got in the maiden this morning on a Pica Waco. RCGF 26engine started easily and ran great. Xoar 17x8prop @ 6990 rpm. I only ran one tank in it before takeing flight.I can't see where one could ask for more.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got my second RCGF 20CC ready to run ... just waiting for a mild day, which may be months away now. . Set the timing, put in a Denso spark plug, and used Loctite on the fasteners. This one will go on a NP YAK 54 120 69.5" (very light). 17x8 9 seems to be the right prop for this motor to keep RPM ~7000 to 7500 RPM. Yesterday (2/1) finally had a warm day. This motor started easily using the electric starter. Ran it with a 17x9 wood prop. Good idle and smooth transition. Didn't try any full throttle yet, but ran it for about an hour. Will tach it and run full throttle next time, and do final mixture adjustments. Now just need the time and space to assemble the YAK.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ran my second RGCF 20 CC for about an hour for the first time today. Totally uneventful. Used the electric starter for the starts. Motor idled fine, transitioned OK and had plenty of power, but didn't run it full throttle yet. This one's going in a NP 69.5" YAK 54, when I find the time and space to put it together. Have a 17x9 wood prop on it and think I'll stay with that for now.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2x .
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi guys,

I bought the RCG 20cc from HK around 9 months ago. I got it for my Seagull Model's MXS-R 120. Last week I finally got it running, it took a lot to run this motor somehow the carb was not sucking the fuel out, somehow I tried to troubleshoot it and was able to crank it up. I put a 17X6 Turnigy wooden prop on it. After cranking it up, I cranked up with one flip of chicken stick. The RPM on WOT I almost got 7,900 to 8,000. I like it. On idle I have to turn LSN almost 3 turns then it gives me a decent idle, once again I started it for the first time. I'm using regular gas with Pennzoil's oil not synthetic.

My question is about LSN, is it normal for new motor like RCG 20cc from HK to run idle on almost 3 turns? What idle RPM is ideal for this motor. Tomorrow I'm, gonna have a maiden of it and I'm excited. I'm posting a video as well as pix here.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130825_161335.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	1915204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130825_161403.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	1915205
    It's great2 keep flying invariably. Hitec Aurora9 2.4 GHz, Yak 54-120 XYZ 20, MXS-R RCG 20 (AMA Member)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Mody, if it's running OK, I wouldn't worry much about where the needle is at? It should idle low enough where it doesn't creep on you when you set it down prior to taxiing out for take off. Something in the mid to high teens normally.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast