Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCG 20cc Gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 AM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCG 20cc Gas engine

I just purchased the new RCG20cc gas engine from Hobbyking and what a dis-appointment with the quality! The machine work is sloppy, muffler is oversize and not a good fit, carb screw was bent badly due to inadquate manufacturer packaging, casting is grainy and appears to be cracked where carb asm bolts, prop threads rough and not complete, head fin was bent. Makes me wonder about the overall metal quality and just how long will the cheap bearing last.?It took me about 30 seconds to realize I had bought a wanna-be DLE 20 copy and I had made a terrible mistake because now I have to deal with a Chinese supplier to return it. Hobbyking will accept it back, however, they will not refund ship charges to me or ship charges to return which total approx $75. The sad part... I could have bought a reliable top quality DLE 20 engine for the difference in money I lost. Either way, I am returningwhat appears to be a piece of junk.You burned me once Hobbyking - but never again...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 AM
selnekav

Default RE: RCG 20cc Gas engine

sorry for you. anyway i have never saw the DLE-20 & DLE-30 available on their stock... the status is always backorderd...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:55 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with your engine and hope that it's a lesson well learnt, as there are no free rides. What you pay for is exactly what you WILL get, as anything being sold cheap will be cheap also. The DLE would have been an excellent choice, but at least you might just end up better than many who end up without the possibility of a refund. Just remember, anything reliable and of good quality may be a middle of the road cost but never cheap.

Karol
Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 AM
hanko

I see with 402 post, you have been around for a while. Do you hide your own easter eggs. Dont mean to sound like TOM, but there has been threads on the RCGF, or whatever it is. some people have done OK with those engines and hobby king. I havnt heard to many good things on either
Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 AM
cphdrider

True... however, there are many places to buy DLE 20 & 30 engines in the USA. I just purchased another DLE 20 in USA this morning. I already have 2 ea DLE 30's and 1 ea DLE 20 and they are top quality and excellent machine work. Never a problem with either. Ishould have known better than to buy a RCG engineas I got exactly what the guys in my club warned me about!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 AM
hanko

Hey, Live and learn guy. Ive bought crap parts in this hobby also, good luck
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 AM
selnekav

in general i prefer to by from US but in that case the price is higher by 50% for the same engine. ( I have similar shipping charge from both countries.... )
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 AM
cphdrider

Fellows... thanks for your response, however, no need torespond/saymore. I am returning the engine to Hobbyking. Just wanted to say "buyer beware". Enough said...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The RcgF 20 I bought from VV looks and runs really good, almost as good as a DLE 20...There IS a difference..
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RCGF 20 I bought from a supplier here in the states looks and runs very good. I don't have a DLE 20 to compare it to, but it seems to have plenty of power for its displacement. This is the rear intake, standoff mounted model.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Antique

The RCGF is just a little weaker..Not a lot...I forgot the rpms, just ran it last week...Jody would know...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 AM
skip1320

Ralph,are you talkin about beam mount or standoff RCG or rcgf?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Antique

Standoff mounted side carb rcgF..The F is/was capitalized for emphasis...Bought it from Jody a while back..Ran it to test against a G20....Pretty close, the G20 is a little stronger..don't remember what the DLE 20 turned when I had one...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the weather looks goodfor the nexttwo daysfor me to finally fly the rcg beam mount. I will post how I get on.

I will be honest with how I findits performance and ease of set up and will try compare it to a dle 20 if there is one at the field. I will also compare there finnish

I need to buy another 20cc petrol and do fancy and originally wanteda dle 20 asit clearly is the only 20cc petrol engine that has provenitself so I will be critical of its performance.

If itsturns out to be alemon I will say so as I am man enough to do so lol.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
cphdrider

Fellows... it is cphdrider (originator of this post) back again! I am more confused now... I finally got instructions from HobbyKing for a return to address. However, when I printed the shipping lable it states HobbyKing USALLC in Lakewood, WA. HobbyKing's return instructions state item must be returned to "place of purchase" which is China. I found several post that state there are problems returning items as such. I also tried the yellow pages and find nothing for HobbyKing in Lakewood, WA. Anyone ran into this?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Antique

FWIW the Zenoah G20 is physically smaller and there are NO issues with it...Unless you just gotta have a rear carb engine...
Look on the Toni Clark website....
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: raydar

I need to buy another 20cc petrol and do fancy and originally wanted a dle 20 as it clearly is the only 20cc petrol engine that has proven itself so I will be critical of its performance.
Have to disagree with you here as the G20 paved the way for most all the current small capacity engines, and has proven itself to be user friendly, reliable and very powerful for it's size.

Karol
Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
raydar

fair enough, I have limited knowledge about small gassers as this is my first, I should have said the dleseems to bethe cheaper top dog chinese engine that has proven itself at the moment.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: cphdrider

Fellows... it is cphdrider (originator of this post) back again! I am more confused now... I finally got instructions from HobbyKing for a return to address. However, when I printed the shipping lable it states HobbyKing USA LLC in Lakewood, WA. HobbyKing's return instructions state item must be returned to ''place of purchase'' which is China. I found several post that state there are problems returning items as such. I also tried the yellow pages and find nothing for HobbyKing in Lakewood, WA. Anyone ran into this?
Read post #4 here....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410124
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

make sure you dont get thats cheap china whoopy doop lemon engine this confused with the rcgf 20cc , rcgf engines are A+
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

ORIGINAL: raydar

I need to buy another 20cc petrol and do fancy and originally wanted a dle 20 as it clearly is the only 20cc petrol engine that has proven itself so I will be critical of its performance.
Have to disagree with you here as the G20 paved the way for most all the current small capacity engines, and has proven itself to be user friendly, reliable and very powerful for it's size.

Karol
+1 This is right on. I have been flying my G20ei for 6 years. over 500 hours of reliable service with great power.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

make sure you dont get thats cheap china whoopy doop lemon engine this confused with the rcgf 20cc , rcgf engines are A+
List of Chinese Engines.....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10486267

.....many are simply a clone of clone of a copy of a clone.

That msg thread is short, read it all.
Very enlightening!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM
raydar

Both are not exactly a polished saito. But again they dont cost as much either. Added the far superior rcgf lol

Anyway im off to fly this thing, will be back with the facts, not fiction, if its crap a will say so.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30352.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1618101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96698.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1618102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77612.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1618103  
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 AM
cphdrider

raydar, would appreciate your comments on how the RCG 20cc did? I have decided to keepthe enginebecause I don't trust HobbyKing to return it to. The following was my last response toHobbyKing customer support:

Jessie, I am very dis-appointed with the quality of this engine and HobbyKing's return policy. There is something I didn't want to tell you because I knew I would be blaimed - When I opened the package there was damage to the engine. A cylinder head cooling fin was bent and broke, the high speed carb adjustment screw was bent against the low speed, there is a hair-line crack on the rear where the carb reed valve bolts on, and the muffler mounting surface does not match the engine. I am in a lose-lose situation because if I pay to send it back to China no doubt they will claim I caused the damage. The engine was not packaged properly to prevent shipping damage and now I catch the brunt of it. I have four DLE engines and they all cameencapsulated in foamto prevent damage as such. At this point, I see no need to spend more money to return the engine to China and get get charged for something I did not cause. Likewise, I will not return the engine. I will keep it as a reminder to never buyagain from HobbyKing.Case closed!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:24 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: cphdrider

raydar, would appreciate your comments on how the RCG 20cc did? I have decided to keep the engine because I don't trust HobbyKing to return it to. The following was my last response to HobbyKing customer support:

Jessie, I am very dis-appointed with the quality of this engine and HobbyKing's return policy. There is something I didn't want to tell you because I knew I would be blaimed - When I opened the package there was damage to the engine. A cylinder head cooling fin was bent and broke, the high speed carb adjustment screw was bent against the low speed, there is a hair-line crack on the rear where the carb reed valve bolts on, and the muffler mounting surface does not match the engine. I am in a lose-lose situation because if I pay to send it back to China no doubt they will claim I caused the damage. The engine was not packaged properly to prevent shipping damage and now I catch the brunt of it. I have four DLE engines and they all came encapsulated in foam to prevent damage as such. At this point, I see no need to spend more money to return the engine to China and get get charged for something I did not cause. Likewise, I will not return the engine. I will keep it as a reminder to never buy again from HobbyKing. Case closed!

It would seem to me that pics taken and forwarded to the person you are dealing with at HobbyKing would make good sense? This action would cover you regarding any shipping damage from you to them? Further, this should have been done when you opened the package.

Personally, I would not put myself in the position where they had my engine, and my money. You have no recourse at that point. If those pics aren't enough evidence of a deal gone bad enough for them to issue you a credit or send another engine, at least you would still have it.

The simplest solution would have been to pay for this transaction with a credit card. Then, if you cannot work out an amicable agreement with the party you are dealing with (and it doesn't make any difference who or where they are!) you simply call the credit card company. Then, it's case closed, no harm done....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.