Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE-111 first start... warranty used, but things are looking good.

Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-111 first start... warranty used, but things are looking good.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 AM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE-111 first start... warranty used, but things are looking good.

If I had an engine knocking like that I wouldn't run it up in the first place. Mabye it is just the sound in the video but I have never heard an engine make a noise like that unless something was broken or bouncing around inside and when you keep running it it ends like that one did, complete engine failure.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jody,

You don't want to do that experiment. Even with a real nice prop gaurd you near soil yourself whet it happens. Speaking of props and guards, I just had to chop a couple inches off a 16" APC for some high RPM dyno tests. You can be sure the prop gurard will be in place for the first run. Shouldn't be much of a deal with glass fiber APC's though. 16-14 cut down to a 13-14 with all the nice foil and tip shapes. Should be a screamer

Found a Mejzlik 16-11 three blade this morning I didn't know we had. Hmmm......
Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 AM
az3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The question is will it turn over freely. If it does it may be prop related, if not I think if you pull the jugs off you will see a piece of metal that broke off or came off somewhere in the engine and part of it has impacted on the top of one of the cylinders. The tapping sound is from the piece of metal hitting the jug head. The the engine stopping abruptly and the prop breaking is what happens when something is broken and you run it a 6000 plus rmp. You may want to call where you bought it from before you pull the jugs, they may not warrantee it after you take it apart.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm...It's been my understanding that running the engine on a test stand can cause this due to the stand being too rigid...Harmonics set in and can cause what happened...Seems like I've seen in several places that you want a certain amount of "give" in the mount but NOT spring...Did any of you notice the mount "springing" around at various throttle settings???...It seems that the right amount of dampening is when the engine is mounted to the plane and run with the wings in place...

My DLE 111 is a HOSS!!!!

What do you all think???

Kevin
Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Put the cylinders on top dead center and see where the magnet is located, I think you are going to find the key sheared and the prop hub not in the right position.

Milton
Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
K-Bob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

Hmm...It's been my understanding that running the engine on a test stand can cause this due to the stand being too rigid...Harmonics set in and can cause what happened...Seems like I've seen in several places that you want a certain amount of "give" in the mount but NOT spring...Did any of you notice the mount "springing" around at various throttle settings???...It seems that the right amount of dampening is when the engine is mounted to the plane and run with the wings in place...

My DLE 111 is a HOSS!!!!

What do you all think???

Kevin
I'll tell you what I think.

I think he got a bad engine and he should send it back. Even with the best brands a turd slips through every now and then. His vendor already said he would take care of him. All he needs now is the box, some tape, and postage.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

Hmm...It's been my understanding that running the engine on a test stand can cause this due to the stand being too rigid...Harmonics set in and can cause what happened...Seems like I've seen in several places that you want a certain amount of ''give'' in the mount but NOT spring...Did any of you notice the mount ''springing'' around at various throttle settings???...It seems that the right amount of dampening is when the engine is mounted to the plane and run with the wings in place...

My DLE 111 is a HOSS!!!!

What do you all think???

Kevin

Disagree.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But "inquiring minds" want to know what was wrong!

AV8TOR
Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

I'll tell you what I think.

I think he got a bad engine and he should send it back. Even with the best brands a turd slips through every now and then. His vendor already said he would take care of him. All he needs now is the box, some tape, and postage.
Agree with sending it back for another.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even though it is sad and aggravating when an engine "lets go" like that, I find it interesting to see what happened and survey the carnage.

Two of the best blow ups I ever saw... A friend blew up his Ford 390 drag racing me. There was literally pieces of camshaft about 4 inches long laying on the highway!

An AMX I bought with a blown engine: On disassembly I found one piston completely missing, another one in the oil pan in larger pieces, and one of the rods UPSIDE down in it's cylinder with part of the rod literally embedded in the cylinder wall.

It is neat to see how they failed, even though it is a bummer that it happened.

AV8TOR
Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
willig10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To the original Poster. I have not read this entire thread. It is my opinion that the engine seized due to it being too lean. If you watch your video, there is no smoke coming out the exhaust at all. All of my Gas engines produce a little smoke at idle and when advancing the throttle the smoke dissipates. When you went from idle to power there was no smoke visible.

It sounded like it was on the lean side. I believe it overheated and seized up on you.

Wish you well on the repairs. I would if it were my engine richen the low end needle about 1/8 to a 1/3 of a turn and when at idle see if the engine is producing a little smoke, not much but some. Also look at the exhaust and see if you can see some black/brown residue on the exhaust tips.

I dont know what mix you are using (I hope it is not amsoil 100:1) but if I may suggest you use a 32:1 mixture for break in. There are many thoughts about what brand to use. However, whatever brand you do use stick with it for the life of the engine.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Glenn Williams
Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: az3d

The question is will it turn over freely. If it does it may be prop related, if not I think if you pull the jugs off you will see a piece of metal that broke off or came off somewhere in the engine and part of it has impacted on the top of one of the cylinders. The tapping sound is from the piece of metal hitting the jug head. The the engine stopping abruptly and the prop breaking is what happens when something is broken and you run it a 6000 plus rmp. You may want to call where you bought it from before you pull the jugs, they may not warrantee it after you take it apart.
You mean like this?:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32129.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1619293  
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

av8tor,

You should have seen the pictures of when a locomotive engine decided to purge itself of one of it's pistons and rods. The piston went through the roof of a house about 800 feet away and embedded in a wall inside the house. The rod and part of the cylinder was found about 300' away from the RR tracks.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jedijody

All very good information TOM and I agreebut in this case it seems clear the engine stopped then the prop exploded. I've seen engines shed props and none of them quit like that, they kept running and suffered no damage if the operator shut them down fast enough.

Why is it I've never heard what an engine sounds like while running with loose propeller bolts,.... no, I don't think I'll experiment with that one. [8D]

I have heard a 150 get started with loose prop bolts. The owner of the airplane started to put the prop on the airplane then was distracted by spectators at the feild. Forgot the bolts were only hand tight and put the spinner on. I was holding the airplane and it was obvious. It sounded as if something was tapping the muffler. The engine was not reved but by the time I convinced the owner to shut it down the prop bolts were pretty much gone. Some sheared before shut down some at shut down. All bolts were bent. Early on the OP stated he had only tightened until the lock washers were compressed. Way short on torque. Could it have been that when the prop let go the press fit on the two peice crank slipped and that is what jammed up the engine? I would assume the stresses on the crank with only half a prop could cause the press fit to slip. I once saw a 40% composite airplane get mid aired and shed 1/4 the prop and it shook so hard the wings were actually flapping and the airplane shed parts all the way to the ground.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Razor Hobbies
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK to clarify he bought it from us. He is doing what we told him to do. We will have answers shortly for all those who are anxiouse.

He is not voiding his warranty if he is following what we are telling him to do. We are going to take care of him regardless. It wont make a difference if he finds out what the problem is vs sending it back to us to check it over and repair it.

If its and internal failure of some sort obviously that is covered so he will be taken care of.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 PM
az3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Reference to the picture above. I am like Rush Limba, right 99% of the time. Just in case you are wondering I had a BME 116 that did the same thing and that's how I knew. For the record I have a DLE 111 and it is awsome. It has power just under the 116 and 120 at half the price. I would recommend them to everyone and anyone.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Sessholvlaru

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This reminds me of when I got my new DLE-55. I felt the prop stop when I was fitting the spinner on my OMP Yak-55. I took the head off and found that one of the wrist pin clips was completely missing (like not in the engine). The wrist pin had slid out and had hung up on the exhaust port. Jody sent me one free of charge (thanks again!) and got me running.

I'd imagine that if it hadn't slid out until I had the engine running it could have done something similar. Mind you I figured my case was a 1 in 1,000,000...
Old 06-05-2011, 04:39 PM
az3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I should add the I ran the 116 with no needle changes for one year before the piston failed. The plugs were the tan, not too lean. I don't think he ran it too lean. It knocks immediately. Something was defective. I am sure that happens to 1 in 1,000 or whatever the number is. No manufacture is flawless.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM
frankle951
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you pick this engine up from somebody, the person had a prop srike or a crash, the hub didn't look bent when it was spinning, maybe you over tight the prop, was the prop new or used ???, the prop coming off like that would bent the shaft, if the shaft was bent you would not had ran the engine that long, it did not look bent when it was running, tower hobby sell crankshaft for around $100.00, if you don't want to fix it I would buy it, I have 3 of them, dam good engine !!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Razor Hobbies
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree that no manufacture is perfect. **** happens regardless. That is what warranties are for.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Sessholvlaru

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Razor Hobbies

OK to clarify he bought it from us. He is doing what we told him to do. We will have answers shortly for all those who are anxiouse.

He is not voiding his warranty if he is following what we are telling him to do. We are going to take care of him regardless. It wont make a difference if he finds out what the problem is vs sending it back to us to check it over and repair it.

If its and internal failure of some sort obviously that is covered so he will be taken care of.

Good service.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: az3d

I should add the I ran the 116 with no needle changes for one year before the piston failed. The plugs were the tan, not too lean. I don't think he ran it too lean. It knocks immediately. Something was defective. I am sure that happens to 1 in 1,000 or whatever the number is. No manufacture is flawless.
The 116 is a well made and powerful engine. However, using regular gas in them makes them knock something terrible, which is quite destructive. I fly one in my personal stuff and love it. Also have a 111 and love it, along with DA, 3w, and Brison. All great engines.

If you had one of the original 115's it was possible to have one with the rod timing out of phase, which presented a bushel full of problems. Those were all fixed later.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best engine mount would be as solid as a block of granite,,,
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pictures coming shortly. Preview is nothing broke off.

Question: How much play should their be in the inner race of the rear bearing?

wpm
Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM
jedijody

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

None.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service