Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA or Us engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 AM
cordell staker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA or Us engines?

DA cause that's all I own, and Dave has sponsored the TAS which I have enjoyed every year except last year. I hear it's back for this fall ! Whoopee!!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: SeaJay

its obveous that the fat chick is the better cook, thats why she is fat.. the Ugly chick got ugly because she burned her face while trying to learn to cook, thats also why she has a fine body, she cant cook, and thus is under fed!

Craig.
Though she got that way bobbing for french fries.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

I vote for the US 41, you will learn a good lesson of never underpowering an aerobatic model again.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
tony0707

HI
far to many guys on these forums with to much time on there hands did you all forget your early days of starting out in the hobby and what there was to lean about all aspects of the hobby i am concerned with the quality of the posts on this site
with all the newer engine offerings and older engines being considered as power plants this is a reasonable question to ask if you use either of these engines you should post your thoughts-IF NOTSCREW OFF WITH THE COMEDY and lets get back to being helpful !!
ENJOY BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I realize that it isn't one the op asked about, but my new favorite is DLE. I recently put a DLE 20 on a 60 size GP Big Stick, and was very impressed....can you say UNLIMITED vertical?!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
House2twist

ORIGINAL: wobblewobble

Which is better?
Thursday.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:13 PM
willig10

I am not brand partial. However I am dependable, reliable and most bang for the buck partial. To the best of my knowledge. A stock engine (no tuned pipes etc) as of today hands down, I do believe the DLE series of engines fits that bill.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with other engines in the same cc category.

DA is a great engine. If I had my choice and could afford the price tag, that would be my engine of choice.

There are many engines out there that are reliable, easy to use and also there are a bunch out there that are junk.

In a nutshell, do your homework. Weigh out the pro's and cons of each engine. And when you are comfortabel with your choice. Pull the trigger and go buy the engine you chose.

We can debate all day long for you and also we can politicise (hope I spelled that right)the in's and out's of Made in the USA vs foreign madeetc to death. However we aint buying the engine for you.

So ask around RCU some of the experts and get their opinion. A good place to start would be a couple of well known charachters, Let's see there is Antique, T.O.M (Tired old man) there is Jedi jody. Among others. pick their brain and see what the general consensus is. I think you be enlightened and ultimately make the right engine choice for your airplane.

Good luck
Glenn Williams
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35023.gif
Views:	22
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1621842  
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tony0707
IF NOTSCREW OFF WITH THE COMEDY and lets get back to being helpful
ENJOY BEST REGARDS TONY

Tony, tony, tony, tell us what you REALLY think
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear angry and frustrated Tony,

Have you bothered to notice that all the alleged experts are avoiding this thread? Did you notice how I mentioned it was entertaining earlier? There's no knowledge to be gained by answering the original question. Why? Because the first time someone makes a clear and decisive selection this thread will be come a free for all, especially if the winner is a more expensive product.

Now did you notice how DLE was suddenly called into play? Did you notice how one person stated DA is the best because that's all he has? Did you notice how someone would make DA his engine of choice if he could afford it, and making that call without ever having owned one?

What do you really think you stand to learn?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You never see the US 41's anymore at the field.

Everything is DLE or DA.

But years ago there were a lot of US 41's around. They ran, Not a whole lot of power. The DLE 30 probably has more power? They ran a 18 X 10 prop around 7200 rpm.

If you have come across an old US 41 or Quadra engine, you can get support or parts from B&B Specialties

The engines were used on scale models to just fly around the field with.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 PM
kcc

Glenn,

I'm not sure I understand your signature. If I pull the right stick back, it cuts my throttle; I always do that when I land.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: kcc

Glenn,

I'm not sure I understand your signature. If I pull the right stick back, it cuts my throttle; I always do that when I land.
I have a Hitec mode 1 transmitter I can send you for shipping?

The right stick controls the elevator on mode 2 transmitters common in the USA

Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 AM
willig10

Well T.O.M.and others:
1st of all let me say yes you are correct. I have not owned a DA engine. However that does not mean I have not been exposed to the engine or it's operation or for that matter any other off name brand engines. I am impressed with the DA series of engines and I believe fit, finish, power, reliabilityand customer service is excellent. They are not however the only show in town. I could list others that are reliable, dependable and have good/great customer support.

I should not have to give my qualifications here on RCU as to medelling experience.

I do believe the original poster asked a question regarding either DA or US engines. His remark about the the US engines I do believe was in error. A lot of guys have mistaken the US engine for an older Quadra. they are very similar in design. That said back to his original question. The DA is superior not only in design but in performance as well compared to a US engine. It is hard to beat modern day technology.

I added to this thread the DLE series because, I felt that if the OP had to ask what engine was better, then he has no experience in GAS engines. I wanted to be able to give the OP options and asked him to e-mail some of the guys here who shown their expertise over the years.

As far as the guy asking about my signature. I fly mode 2 but it bodes well for mode 1. If you pull the right stick down. You will either get full up elevator (mode 2) or idle (Mode 1).

Flame on.

Glenn Williams

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: tony0707

HI
far to many guys on these forums with to much time on there hands did you all forget your early days of starting out in the hobby and what there was to lean about all aspects of the hobby i am concerned with the quality of the posts on this site
with all the newer engine offerings and older engines being considered as power plants this is a reasonable question to ask if you use either of these engines you should post your thoughts-IF NOTSCREW OFF WITH THE COMEDY and lets get back to being helpful !!
ENJOY BEST REGARDS TONY
This post was as useless as **** on a boar hog. I went back and read the whole thread and wasn't able to find where you posted any advice for wobblewobble to use. So when were you going to start being helpful?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM
wobblewobble

found a good deal on a DL 50 engine.... looks like that might be the way I go!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Tired Old Man

LMAO
Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 AM
willig10

Someone did their homework.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:18 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

deleted
Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 PM
kcc

Glenn,

I leaned to fly on a single stick (and did so for about 6 months), but have flown mode 1 since then (35+ years), so I agree with your assessment. I was trying to lighten the thread with some humor! Some days that works, some days it doesn't

Take care,

Kevin
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I have seen and worked on at least 4 U S engines in the last 10 or so years. I have nothing good to say about any of them...I gave up on the 25, it,s still here on the shelf..I got one of the 4.2 s to run, barely...
The other 4.2 is still here, thr front bearing bore is .015 higher in the case than the rear bearing bore..Only good parts were the carb and piston/ cylinder they are Sachs parts. The twin is still here, the crank is twtsted and welded so it can never be repaired. The owner got a new twin from the manufacturer, it came from the factory teisted while welding. He gave me the engine..Like the 4.2, the onlt good parts were madw by someone else...
Good enough
I will never accept another U S engine for repair...My time is better spent on GOOD engines.[>:]
The U S 41 is another breed altogether a very good but heavy engine...
The bad U S engines I am referring to are the ones with red painted cylinders and rear mounted muffler/mounts..g
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I'm currently waiting on delivery of 4 engines, all conversion engines. I thought I'd give them a go. Not expecting much, but I don't have much invested. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 AM
Tired Old Man

If the base engine was a good product the conversion should be good. Often weigh a little more than engine made specifically for RC but that's not a problem. People get to hung up on weight anyway.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell from this post that most of you are flying high performance aircraft or 3D. I have been flying Giant Scale for 40 years, and I mean anything from Laser 200 to A&A Industries 1/4 Scale P-51. I have seen US 41 engines turn 7900 RPM with an 18X6 and as low as 6000 with a 22X8. These engines were not designed to turn up high RPM's, they are torque engines. I have a A&A Industries 1/4 scale P-51 right now that weights 34 pounds. It flies very scale, I am able to pull 400 foot loops and do all the scale flying that the full scale P-51 does. It is powered with a Quadra 75. I have used all types of propellers, and right now I'm using Master Air Screw wood props. This Quadra 75 turns a Master Air Screw 24X12 at 5200 rpms. This P-51 has been clocked at 88 MPH. I don't see why everyone has to fly so fast. If you want to fly fast, then try racing......

Thanks...
Larry
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Instructor

I can tell from this post that most of you are flying high performance aircraft or 3D. I have been flying Giant Scale for 40 years, and I mean anything from Laser 200 to A&A Industries 1/4 Scale P-51. I have seen US 41 engines turn 7900 RPM with an 18X6 and as low as 6000 with a 22X8. These engines were not designed to turn up high RPM's, they are torque engines. I have a A&A Industries 1/4 scale P-51 right now that weights 34 pounds. It flies very scale, I am able to pull 400 foot loops and do all the scale flying that the full scale P-51 does. It is powered with a Quadra 75. I have used all types of propellers, and right now I'm using Master Air Screw wood props. This Quadra 75 turns a Master Air Screw 24X12 at 5200 rpms. This P-51 has been clocked at 88 MPH. I don't see why everyone has to fly so fast. If you want to fly fast, then try racing......

Thanks...
Larry
I don't see why everyone wants to fly so slow. If you want to fly slow you should try paper airplanes...............
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 AM
willig10

I was wondering. If any of you guys like to fly slow? Do you recognize my engine?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12093.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1622822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35858.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1622823  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.