Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

50cc-ish reasonable $ twin? ISO engine for 12' Tele

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

50cc-ish reasonable $ twin? ISO engine for 12' Tele

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 50cc-ish reasonable $ twin? ISO engine for 12' Tele

So I'm going to be building a 12' Telemaster, and need help deciding on a gas engine. Never done anything of this size, or gasoline before. I'd like to have enough engine if I get into towing something big or put floats on it some day, but I hope to not have it so overpowered it will taxi on grass at idle.

Anyhow, G38 seems to be popular in these, but folks seem to also run much larger when towing.

Considering DLE 55, but I'm wondering about a twin as it would fit well, they sound cool, and less vibration.

Hobby King has a 53cc twin for like $350, but it doesn't list brand and who knows about parts. Also it is on backorder.

RCGF makes a 50 twin that goes for $556, and they have parts.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 50cc-ish reasonable $ twin? ISO engine for 12' Tele

Stay with DLE or Zenoah
Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Andika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JeffinTD RCGF makes a 50 twin that goes for $556, and they have parts.
426$ + shipping here www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/285836539-RCGF-50cc-Twin-Petrol-Gasoline-Engine-RCGF-50cc-Twin-EMS-wholesalers.html
I think you wont have 2 years warranty or customer support from them...
Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A two stroke opposed cylinder twin engine sounds pretty much like a single cylinder engine if it is in good tune and running correctly. The cylinders fire simultaneously.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DLE 55 if you are going to be towing. You want a reliable engine that makes the power when you need it. You certainly don't want an engine you bought cheap but have to spend a lot of time in sending back for repairs, or an engine that does not run when it's supposed to. My point is that the selling price could easily be the cheapest part of the deal, and has worked out that way many times with some of your stated selections. A few bucks more could save you a thousand or more.

Look me up via a PM. I'm down the road from you in Hood River.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I do have some tow experiance and currently using a Stearman PT-17 for a tug. Its a bit smaller using an OS 120SE Which does beautifully for most of what we fly and up to around seven pounds on the gliders.

My take on what you want to do is the very best engine you could use for that airplane and that use is the OS 55GT. It is far more powerful that say the 52 cc Turnigy that I also fly but more importantly is perfectly suited to the job reliability and ease of starting (including hand starting) is superb. These are very important factors for a tug and not neccessarily is going to be acheved by a twin.

No it is not cheap but for a working airplane Cheap comes at a Price and that price is failure to acheve the mission.

John
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

I do have some tow experiance and currently using a Stearman PT-17 for a tug. Its a bit smaller using an OS 120SE Which does beautifully for most of what we fly and up to around seven pounds on the gliders.

My take on what you want to do is the very best engine you could use for that airplane and that use is the OS 55GT. It is far more powerful that say the 52 cc Turnigy that I also fly but more importantly is perfectly suited to the job reliability and ease of starting (including hand starting) is superb. These are very important factors for a tug and not neccessarily is going to be acheved by a twin.

No it is not cheap but for a working airplane Cheap comes at a Price and that price is failure to acheve the mission.

John
pretty strong saying the 55GT is the best.

My VOTE is on the DLE 55 the 200 dollars you will save can go for props and so on.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
aussiesteve

The DLE would be your only low cost choice. Even so there arestillplenty of problems with them which is most likely why so many people cantell you who gives good service and who doesn't.

Any of the low cost "cheap" 50 twins you mention have a long history of problems if you follow the forums and press. Expect to get one, strip it for your own peace of mind, order parts to replace the parts the factory has used when they should have been thrown out, wait for the parts and if the correct parts ever arrive, reassemble the engine and hope it stays running.

There is another long thread on this forum about twins in this size. Seems there is a lack of decent options in the size range and no decent options at a low price.

The 12' Telemaster is a nice flying plane. Why stuff it up with a cruddy engine for just a couple of bucks saving?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

How about a Zenoh G-62?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: Ropomond

The DLE would be your only low cost choice. Even so there are still plenty of problems with them which is most likely why so many people can tell you who gives good service and who doesn't.

The 12' Telemaster is a nice flying plane. Why stuff it up with a cruddy engine for just a couple of bucks saving?

There are just as many, if not more, that will tell you how good DA service is. The number of engines sold has a lot to do with how much service is performed. If you have 100 engines out there the munber that needed service will be far lowrer than the company that has thousands of engines out there. DA and DLE both fall into the group with thousands of engines in use. The better dealers take care of their customers, which is why they sell more engines than others. Some dealers sell a lot of engines based on only a low price. You're reading about them every day in here, and how their customers are having problems. Typically those delalers are not selling DA or DLE engines.

I'll fly a DLE in my planes any day, and have done so. I'll also stack my $3,000.00+ aircraft up against a Telemaster any day. Don't be slamming engine lines you know little or nothing about. Some of us have the history and knowledge to be able to slam any engine out there. All we need to do is refer back to a given time in that company's history. We don't do that because we know and understand those companies grew up and continually improved their products as time passed.

Now if you're serious about having a twin, and serious about towing, you really only have one engine to look at. You want an engine that will provide max torque at lower RPM, so that leaves you with a 3w-56. However, if you were willing to settle on a single and was serious about towing, you still want an engine that gives the most at lower RPM, so again you have 3-W, with their 55, and MVVS. But be prepared to open your wallet.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM
STUKA BARRY

The Telemaster is a huge aircraft. Even thought its stick built open frame, this plane is going to weigh in the mid to upper 30lbs. If you plan on towing or floating, I suggest the Zenoah GT-80 Twin. Your going to need nose weight anyway, so dont skimp on a cheap engine. I've seen used GT-80's for $500. These engines are strong, durable, very little vibration, and extremely reliable. The engine comes stock with a spring starter so starting is a no brainer. The Airshow Team I was on had three of these, towing everything. The GT-80 is definitely the engine of choice for the 12ft. Tele.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Ropomond

The DLE would be your only low cost choice. Even so there are still plenty of problems with them which is most likely why so many people can tell you who gives good service and who doesn't.
Can you enlighten us on these "plenty problems"?
"which is most likely why so many people can tell you who gives good service and who doesn't"?
I'm going to have to get out of this thread before I barf.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

My 12 foot Telemaster weighed 19 lbs ready yofly with a G 38. Covering was Solaetex.. Pro Line radio on Fm orange and white,No shielding on the mag ignition, No Glitching...About 20years ago..Would not use a larger engine without significant strengthening..Everywhere...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: airraptor

John

My VOTE is on the DLE 55 the 200 dollars you will save can go for props and so on.

Yes indeed and It is a superb engine for the mission and that mission is a difficult one. I never said it is a rock bottom cheapie and I prefer to save money by not breaking all those props in the first place.

John
Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM
davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: airraptor

John

Ill agree with John Buckner on this one. My vote would definitely be for an OS 55GT. You cant beat the reliability and power it puts out.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I considered the W3, but I don't want to have so much $$$ in this plane that I'm afraid to fly it.

Aerocraftrc's prototype apparently came in at 23 lbs, and will fly on a G-26, and with the G38 requried no balast, but the G38 is fairly heavy.

I don't know if they tried to tow anything heavy with theirs, or if they ever put floats on one. I will need to make a ply former to mount the tow release, and I will likely tie into the strut attach and wing attach points. I might also add to the engine mount area and wings, but I can't say right now as I don't have the plans or kit. Anyway, it will be beefed up a bit, but I don't intend to go crazy. With a 50ish engine, I also expect that full power will very rarely be applied. This airplane isn't intended to be fast, and I'm not trying to change t hat.

Anyway, I think the DLE55 sounds like a pretty good choice, all things considered. Power, price, weight seems to fit the bill, plus there are enough of them out there that parts will likely be available in the future.

What tipped the scales for me is that a local hobby shop that treats me great has one on hand, at a discounted price. A hobby shop with people who know what they are talking about and will take care of you is worth supporting IMHO.

Next set of days off I'll go get the engine, props and other related stuff.

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Tired Old Man

And the history of the OS is such that all that 55 power and reliability has been established how? You know of how many people with the OS 55?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Antique

Hey John, how about bringing your O S along when the old guys from
kingman show up here next ?
I welcome a test comparison to a G 62 lite......
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Tired Old Man

Ya, that be a good 'un.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

And the history of the OS is such that all that 55 power and reliability has been established how? You know of how many people with the OS 55?

Sorry TOM I know of two Myself and another local friend, My recommendation is based entirely upon personal experiance.

Sorry I did not realize personal experiance will disallow one from making a recomendation.

Its a fine engine well worth the money and I could not be more pleased and yes that is my opinon.

Antique I am not sure where 'here' is?

John
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Antique

Hete is Williams, Duke and friends have been here with theire engines....Duke had the first of each of my conversions,starting with a G38 about 1987. The Sachs 5.8 in OLD CROW was one....I made him a tee shirt with "Serial number 1" on it.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 AM
JohnBuckner

Ah ha now everything falls into place your profile from Irvine Ca is what caused the confusion. And yes indeed you have provided excellent service and advice over the years to some of our locals and some who were mentors to me as well as some who I have mentored and even some who have passed on now.

Nonetheless I love my 'Honda'. That is what I call my 55GT

John
Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Tired Old Man

The OS is a good engine but two or three is not much of a qualifier to make a superior engine statement. The DLE 55 is on par with the OS, Both have their selling points but OS has a ways to go in proving long term reliability and performance. The 55 is their first released gas engine so giving them a little room to earn a reputation instead of immediately awarding them the pole position is not a bad ide. Until proven the only real selling point the OS has is in the name, but we've all seen how name alone does not make a product the best. At least not yet. I run a lot of engines and I have yet to see one I would call "the best". In their beginnings the big names in gas engines were't nearly as good as they advertised themselves to be.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM
JohnBuckner

I am sorry TOM you cannot handle any opinion but your own and fell compelled to slam mine, simply because I feel it is the best engine for the mission (aerotow) as well as the particular airplane (giant Telly).

I apoligise Sir for basing my opinion just upon my personal experiance with the engine and experiance on both ends of the towline although slightly smaller tugs and gliders as I stated in my first post.

My recomendation to the OP remains the same.

John
Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Tired Old Man

I'm rather pleased to see you have not altered your position. That means you believe and that's a good thing. I have only pointed out reasons to maintain a little room for growth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.