Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Holy Crap!

ORIGINAL: Bozarth
Tell us what the glove is for?
Thanks,
Kurt
I use a leather glove (motocross motorcycle) with extra padding on the back of the fingers and hand. But a glove helps protect against the sharp trailing edge on many props. Plus it takes some of the sting out of a kickback besides helping to prevent nasty cuts. I have dealt with a few gas engines over the years that were not fun to start. They would intermittently deal you some nasty wacks no matter what you did. I resorted to using a rope pull on one vicious recalcitrant engine that didn't have a spark retard system built in. That was before we had electronic ignition systems. I gave up on the engine, but later converted it to a glow engine and then it turned out to be a really nice good engine then.

In the video above, the guy had the plane in a cradle engine/plane test stand, so he didn't need a second person to hold the plane for him. But it would be wise to have one. I remember once where someone had the wing fail when he was running up a engine in a cradle test stand. Then there was the guy who had the tail retraint unit fail when the horizontal stab collapsed or failed on him.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it like this all the time. I just don't cut the Ign. switch on till I get ready to do the starting flip and I don't hold the plane with my left hand.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 AM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I don't think I'd do it this way either, but I don't reach over the prop either.  To each his own.  I've had the prop kick off and go flying before.  Prop nuts are metal and metal changes w/temp.  

No, I stand back, choke, flip and  retreat hand then duck after each flip, like I'm fearing for my life.  Just make sure you stand far away (just in case the tail feathers aren't fully up against the Y stand).  I've had my glow engines start reverse and shoot back.  I've had planes lunge toward till the tail feathers catch, almost gave me a heart attack.  Who knows, em weak tail feathers may give.  My gas engines haven't started reversed yet, but the nitro will and run for a brief period too.

Always best to have help to hold the plane.  

Also, see club president mouth his radio strap, a good practice.