Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Starting Glove

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Glove

My trusty welders glove went missing.... and found this online.... this ought to me much safer than a think leather welders glove? your opinion? http://cgi.ebay.com/Youngstown-Cut-R...item27bbe598be

i used to start bare handed till i had an ill advanced timed 80 backfire and give me a good whack(12-24-10) that left my index finger tip numb for a few months..... good thing Biela props arent sharp, and even better i had the choke on
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Starting Glove

I used the handle of a large screwdriver as a chicken stick.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: 378

I used the handle of a large screwdriver as a chicken stick.

i have a chicken stick... but never like using it on my gassers... i scratched a really nice prop... no biggie when it comes to saving my fingers though
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Might want to get away from that screwdriver. The handle is harder than most wood props and can cause blade damage. Not much of a cost issue with small engines but as engines become larger props get expensive. May I suggest a new heavy knap paint roller?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 AM

I'm starting a .46 sport motor with an 11x5 composite prop with that screwdriver. I don't think I'm going to hurt it
Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378

I'm starting a .46 sport motor with an 11x5 composite prop with that screwdriver. I don't think I'm going to hurt it
Think again....I had a Glow engine about that size and it broke the screwdriver handle clean through. A flooded engine can cause that. Capt,n
Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 AM

I don't try to crank flooded engines. Odd habit from cars I guess, where trying to start one that's flooded breaks pull starters.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not sure any glove is really going to help much from the standpoint of actually getting whacked by a prop.... [X(]

Now I do use a padded leather glove to start mine but it has to do with the fact that I only use two fingers to start mine and the trailing edge of the Mej props can be hard on two bare fingers. Just can't seem to get that using four fingers thing down. I did get a little complacent one day with my 50cc gasser and when it started it came around and "kissed" the backside of my fingers. I had a similar "hurt a lot" and fingers went numb for some time, but I'm not sure if the padded glove really did much to lessen the trauma in that case. Cuts would be a different story and as for your proposed solution, seems a bit spendy to me for a glove but then as I note I just use a padded (winter insulated type) leather glove.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM
majora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a standard welders glove to the local saddle shop or shoe repair and have them glue a piece of saddle leather across the back of the glove with slits for the fingers. Glove can only be used for engine starting but that's what it is for.

Gordon
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 AM
tkg

With a glove you know where your fingers are after you get wacked by a big engine. It makes the doctors job easier
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: tkg

With a glove you know where your fingers are after you get wacked by a big engine. It makes the doctors job easier
[:'(] eww, it hurts just think of that
Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
bgw45

ORIGINAL: majora

Take a standard welders glove to the local saddle shop or shoe repair and have them glue a piece of saddle leather across the back of the glove with slits for the fingers. Glove can only be used for engine starting but that's what it is for.

Gordon
That is a good idea! What I use is a bad idea. I use a motorcycle road racer's glove. I has kevlar on the back of the fingers but if I get it on the unprotected part of the finger it will get cut. I started using it as a joke and it caused such a stir at my field I just kept using it. Plus, no one else is foolish to use one so I have no trouble recovering it. I guess I'm lucky, but I have never had a gasser backfire or pop back. Not so with my 1.80 glow stuff.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Tired Old Man

Of greater issue is the number of people that fail to secure their planes when starting them. I've seen it first hand and in some cases it's been deliberate. Watching a plane crawl through someone's body gets real ugly, real fast, and a glove isn't going to help.

I don't use a glove unless the traling edge of the blade is sharp. I don't use a stick, don't generally use a starter unless it's a special application. There's no need for any of that except to assuage people's fear.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
I don't use a glove unless the traling edge of the blade is sharp. I don't use a stick, don't generally use a starter unless it's a special application. There's no need for any of that except to assuage people's fear.
+1
I don't use a glove either. I used to have a welding glove that had been cut down to shorten it down to the wrist but found it cumbersome and in the way. Then, I have been lucky and never been hit by a backfiring engine. If the prop is properly set at 2 o'clock, the fingers are out of the path of the prop anyway. Check timing and needles before attempting to start anything big enough to scare you and it is most likely to be a non-event excercise.

I never start big 4-stroke glow engines with my hands. I don't know why but they scare me and I have found them prone to unpredictable starts. Maybe I simply don't know well how to handle them ...
For those (and I don't have many), I have an electric starter
Old 06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Tired Old Man

Personally, I have more trepidation around small glow engines with all the razor sharp prop blades they like to use. From 30Ccc to 350cc, where's the problem?

Just have to be smarter than the engine and have learned a little about them before first use.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:21 PM
dogshome

New 40cc engine had a big backfire and split the 20* 8 woodie end to end. Once it had the setting dialled in and some fuel through after that it was a nice engine. Splitting a prop like that would equally split fingers, glove or not.

Sooooo I always use a chicken stick. It's a bit of wooden broom handle with a sleeve of silicon tubing (like you find on turbo cars which is quite thick with woven layers). No prop damage using this and I'm perfectly safe.

Small ones - electric start.

Glove? I don't fink so!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I use the Bennet Starting glove bennettbuilt.com/page7.htm, mine's about 17 years old, bought it back when mag's were the norm, not today. Using the glove is like wearing seat belts, hard hats, fall protection and the like. Hope you never need it. My ZDZ 80 bites once in while, wish I knew why?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i went to the local welding shop and they didnt have any gloves i would want to use... they dont make them like they used to or dont carry the "good stuff"

tony would you happen to have a pic of the B&B glove, if it's not an inconvenience to ya?... the pic on the website isnt very good, im a visual leaner

*edit i dont think the kevlar cut resistant glove would absorb blunt force trauma as well as a thick leather reinforced glove..
Old 06-20-2011, 03:17 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Not even with those Kevlar gloves I will put my fingers in the path of a prop.
I got a good whack some time ago with a 40 size glow, there was no blood but it hurt for a week.
That is why I have 2 chicken sticks and 2 electric starters in my flying box
Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM
hanko

prop this girls, geared 540 Lycoming
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49092.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1625744  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:25 PM
hanko

Thats a Ratsrepus is case any one was wondering
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25421.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1625745  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: hanko

imagine mistepping... instant decapitation
Old 06-20-2011, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: hanko

Way safer than propping an RC plane. You have a couple hundred precious milliseconds to get your hands clear of the prop on my trainer, but that lycoming gives you way more time before it bites your head off. Between the length of the prop blades, the gear reduction, power to weight ratio and the fact that it always starts at idle, it gives you plenty warning that it's about to fire off.

Honestly I'd rather prop the Lycoming by hand than stick my fingers in my OS...
Old 06-20-2011, 04:49 PM
crash1ace

Starting by hand?? Using gloves?? WOW You do know that there is this thing called an "electric prop starter" right? ie: sullivan.... Why would anyone be crazy enough to put their fingers in harms way? Thankfully at my field, no one starts with hands,screwdrivers,or chick sticks ever. Even the guys with the big gas
models know enough not to do that!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM

Electric starters are for people who have crappy, mis-tuned or worn out engines. [&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.