Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 idle too fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:00 AM
jlsimon
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20 idle too fast

Hello, been flying a Dragonlady for a few weeks now. Runs fantastic. Lots of power. But I have been having a problem with the idle running too fast. We would get it set and the idle would be fine on start up. But after flying for a several minutes, the idle won't return to its same level. Its not dramatically faster enough to notice in the air, but the aircraft doesn't slow as much as it should in landing. And its more of a fast taxi when on the ground. We've reset the hi and low needles a few times. Reset the idle on the radio as low as I can get it. Anyone have any thoughts what to try? Thanks, Jerry
Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: DLE 20 idle too fast

the low is to lean since it has warmed up and the idle is higher unless you have a sticky linkage
Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

CHECK YOUR FUEL SETTING
Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never, ever set up a carb needle or idle setting with a cold engine. Ever! When you do you end up with a carb that performs quite differently after it warms up.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

What do you mean you set it on the radio "as low as you can get it"

You should be able to lower it right down to shutting the carb closed with the throttle trim and killing the engine.

If thats not the case make sure your servo is setup right, and that the idle stop screw is removed.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you cannot kill the engine with the carb closed all the way, pull the carb and see if the throttle butterfly screw is loose.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Tired Old Man

Possible causes:

Idle set screw still in the carb. Remove and discard. It's the very large screw that interferes with the throttle arm.

Carb idle established with a cold engine. Let at engine run at mid to semi high RPM for a few minutes to warm up. If the needles are set correctly it won't throttle up well until it's warm. If it throttles up good immediately after starting it's too lean.

Throttle linkage incorrect length.

Incorrect servo arm placement.

Incorrect servo travel adjust values. Should be as close to 100/100 as possible.

Any combination of the above.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Possible causes:

Idle set screw still in the carb. Remove and discard. It's the very large screw that interferes with the throttle arm.

Carb idle established with a cold engine. Let at engine run at mid to semi high RPM for a few minutes to warm up. If the needles are set correctly it won't throttle up well until it's warm. If it throttles up good immediately after starting it's too lean.

Throttle linkage incorrect length.

Incorrect servo arm placement.

Incorrect servo travel adjust values. Should be as close to 100/100 as possible.

Any combination of the above.

I would add one thing to this list. Pretty easy so you might try it first. Fatten up the low speed screw a quarter turn and readjust your idle speed to compensate. See if that doesn't make your problem go away. It's a really common problem, and doing this has "fixed" a bunch of them... If not, start down TOM's list.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I would add one thing to this list. Pretty easy so you might try it first. Fatten up the low speed screw a quarter turn and readjust your idle speed to compensate. See if that doesn't make your problem go away. It's a really common problem, and doing this has ''fixed'' a bunch of them.
That's most likely his problem, which you noted here for another user.......
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10048548

But I'd sneak up on making the LS needle richer, say 1/16 turn until idle is steady.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

I would add one thing to this list. Pretty easy so you might try it first. Fatten up the low speed screw a quarter turn and readjust your idle speed to compensate. See if that doesn't make your problem go away. It's a really common problem, and doing this has ''fixed'' a bunch of them.

But I'd sneak up on making the LS needle richer, say 1/16 turn until idle is steady.
If you go right to a 1/4 turn richer on the idle mixture you'll know right away if this is your problem. You can start leaning from there if you like. Sneaking up on it 1/16th at a time can take a lot of flying, and possible frustration on the part of somebody not used to these gassers yet. You and I, and others with more gas experience that have seen/dealt with this issue first hand already, might try that "sneaking up on it" approach though.

From what I've seen if you do go a 1/4 turn rich from where you're getting this "high idle" issue, it'll definitely be rich, but not to the point it will load up on you and cause problems that way. I think running this little guy on the fat side makes him easier to handle all around anyway, but that's just me. FWIW
Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 AM
a1pcfixer

If you go right to a 1/4 turn richer on the idle mixture you'll know right away if this is your problem. You can start leaning from there if you like. Sneaking up on it 1/16th at a time can take a lot of flying, and possible frustration on the part of somebody not used to these gassers yet. You and I, and others with more gas experience that have seen/dealt with this issue first hand already, might try that ''sneaking up on it'' approach though.

From what I've seen if you do go a 1/4 turn rich from where you're getting this ''high idle'' issue, it'll definitely be rich, but not to the point it will load up on you and cause problems that way. I think running this little guy on the fat side makes him easier to handle all around anyway, but that's just me. FWIW
Either way will 'get er done'.[8D]

I did mine by sneaking up, no flying needed. Just adjusted it right after a flight, until the idle settled in.

I just cringe a wee bit when big adjustments are mentioned. These smaller gassers a bit fussy in that area.
Don't want the lurkers saying they read someone doing 1/4 adjustments, then go out doing such for all tuning issues.[]
Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The DLE20 probably has the most sensitive needles I have ever adjusted on a gasser. Not hard to get a good setting, just don't get ham fisted when turning those needles. A tiny bit of change on the needles makes a big difference in the way the engine runs.

With so many glo guys going to the DLE20 as a first gasser, I would expect some problems as they are use to carb settings being less critical with glo.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's because the carb is on the edge of being too big for the engine. That happens with the smaller displacement gas/utility engines. They have to use the carbs that are available for larger engines. It also explains the much higher than normal high speed rpm of the engine. Not that I'm complaining. The disparity is manageable.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Timber29

I'm having a similar problem with my 20. But what happens with mine is I bring it down from full throttle, and the idle stays around 3600 for a about 20 seconds then drops down to normal idle to 2200. It has great throttle response. It sound good thru the whole throttle range. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 AM
a1pcfixer

back up & read Post #9
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Timber29

back up & read Post #9
I already tried that.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Tired Old Man

Yep.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: NM2K

That's because the carb is on the edge of being too big for the engine. That happens with the smaller displacement gas/utility engines. They have to use the carbs that are available for larger engines. It also explains the much higher than normal high speed rpm of the engine. Not that I'm complaining. The disparity is manageable.

Ed Cregger
I agree 100%.... Capt,n
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Timber29

back up & read Post #9
I already tried that.
Test it; blip the throttle open say half throttle & back to idle........did it settle down, THEN go fast again?
Same type test, but if you have a choke servo, briefly close then open the choke.....same results?

If yes, you STILL need to richen the LS needle.
If no, then you might have an air leak, or your linkage is restrictive & not letting the throttle plate to fully close.

Remove that big shiny idle screw, set your throttle linkage up correctly, so you can kill it with trim,
richen the LS needle and that cures it most often.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM
deason

I am sort of having a simlar problem....

I had the DLE 20 on a Edge 540 that hit the gound on its belly from an alieron malfunction (not a hard hit). I now have it on a Funtana 125 and here is how i have it set up -

Tank output is level with carb.
No bends in carb feed line.
Manual choke.
No filters or "T"

The probemI am having is that at idle, it will die. I have set the LS both lean and rich and it doesnt make a difference. Also, After it dies, sometimesI have to start it back with a starter and whirl it at least 20 seconds. Its almost like there is no gas in the carb but i can see the line is full with no bubbles.

Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have a vacuum leak in the crankcase.

Check all the bolts for snugness

Look carefully at the reed block for cracks

Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
deason

What I failed to mention was that it will idle high at 2800 - 3000 rpm. It also has no problems at full throttle.

I will check for leaks and tightness of the carb....
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
captinjohn

I have read some of the ignitions have a funny advance curve....I do not know if that would have any effect???? Capt,n
Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
deason

I think I have found the problem.....

After reading other posts on this subject, I pulled the spark plug to inspect. The plug looks black and is gapped to .0050. This is the DLE plug that came with the engine. I picked upa NGK-CM6 today.....

Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM
captinjohn

A gap of 5 thousands of a inch is too close. Try about .025 or twenty five thousands. Throw that DLE plug away>>>>>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.