Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Small gassers not worth the investment!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Small gassers not worth the investment!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:07 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small gassers not worth the investment!

Didn't we do small gas engines already?

Too bad we can't look up threads about all the advantages of the new "glow plug" engines, by 1970 there won't be any gas engines left on the market!

Why did we switch from gas to glow anyway?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94808.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1633076  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Saito is a large company that took the time to modify there engines and develop there own small pump carb. They have a .82 and a1.25 allredy an the market. They sell on average $150 then there glow versions but the caust is quickly negated by the difference in fuel price. I have the 125 gas engine and i love it. I am however hoping O.S. who just put out a Gasoline 55cc will continue to put out smaller 2 stroke gasers. Glow fuel is rough on the airframe and even rougher on the wallet.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jharkin

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Small fry will be wiped away by electrics. A small nich market can hardly be profitable, so for these engines you have to rely on hobby manufacturers mainly, OR, pay a huge price per HP.
I wish you would have worded your thought a lot more clear. Maybe in you area they push for electric....over here in the USA I would say the 20cc 30cc and the 55cc gas engine powered airplanes will sell more. I see them electric planes indoors and that is about it. Lots of too lite of electric airplanes set...they cannot handle much wind. Anyway ...real engines make neat sound only a gasser can make. Capt,n
You are making more of a baseless generalization than PE. In my area Ive seen lots of electrics all the way up to 30cc size planes. Those are not so common but electrics from 30oz park flyer to .40 size are more numerous than glow.

I also still see a lot of glow but its definitely in decline. Glow under roughly .60 size is giving way to electric as PE predicts, and over 1.20 size is giving way to the great 20cc and 30cc gassers.

Making any pronouncements about the entirety of the country, much less the world, based only on the group at your local field is silly.

You are right...tell Pe that.........
Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: Lightspeed1551

Glow fuel is rough on the airframe and even rougher on the wallet.
You said it!

Hey lets make a fuel for our planes that,

1 Spits out alcohol that will eat though just about every paint on the market
2 Spits out a think oil that will creep into every nook and soak into wood ruining it.
3 Turns into acid inside the engines crack case.
4 Cost $30 a gallon
5 The engine uses 4 times as much of that $30 a gallon fuel.

It's evil but I still love it!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 AM
AmishWarlord

"O.S. GT33 Gas Engine w/Muffler 33cc/4.384ci RE Carb "

LOL@ 4.384 Cu In, now that's a typo!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNBCKA&P=G

Name:	Db85881.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1633077  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Stick2000

I switched over to gas engines for the following reasons:
Price of glow fuel. I fly 120 size and up planes .
Gas engines run more reliable than glow especially inverted installations.
Once set-up properly it's flip and go!
Added bonus, clean-up is a breeze!

As for electric motors I agree with others about haveing engine noise. For me electrics
make planes sound like gliders. We have small to large electrics in our club and they all
have one thing in common, there quite! We kidd each other about the noise and
lack of noise. To each his own.

It seems the present market is split between gas and electric with some glow
hold outs (40-60) size engines. One thing for sure we still have choices and that's
what makes this hobby fun.

Stick2K

Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Andika

ORIGINAL: Lightspeed1551

Saito is a large company that took the time to modify there engines and develop there own small pump carb.
So the small walbro carbs for the FG14 and FG20 are made in the Saito factory ?... don't make me laugh..

Old 07-09-2011, 05:57 AM
AmishWarlord

That's why I went Diesel!
....then right back to glow.

50% more power!.............Yeah but you can only use that power on big slow props.
Same easy starting!..........LOL, yes you will be in the pits F'n with the engine all morning like the glows but now you have to deal with piston compression too!
Scale sound!....................If you call a two stroke running at 8,000 rpm scale sound.
Runs twice as long!...........Yes you'll be flying a slow dog around the sky twice as long, as glow guys pass you at twice the speed but for only for half as long.
No more glow plus!...........Say hello to my little friend Mr. Piston Compression Knob! You'll be shaking hands with him a lot!
Less engine where!............Yes your engine will be well oiled with thick black smelly oil.

Oh we forgot to mention

Model Diesel fuel cost $32.95 a gallon!
Sprays castor oil all over your plane like glow but now it's BLACK and permanently stains everything!
Smells like industrial waste!
You can only open your carb 2/3 max any more and the engine will sputter until you land and clear it out!
Eats away even gas proof fuel tank plugs!
You thought fuel proof paint was hard to find? Now try Ether proof!
Having to use opaque fuel lines no more looking for bubbles!
Lean and rich carb setting sounds are reversed! lean sounds like the engine is drowning in fuel wile rich screams and over heats your engine.

Name:	Om31844.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1633078  
Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Someone of prominance in these forums proclaimed that small gas engines were not worth the investment and no major manufacturer would waste their time on them. Well, of course, I disagree with this. The future of the hobby will be small and smaller gas powered engines. Probably down to .60-40 size I believe.
Well, I had not heard about this one. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNBCKA&P=G It seems that this at least somewhat supports my beliefs. Thankfully it is not too ''cheap'' so anyone purchasing it will not have to also invest in a flame suit to ask questions about it on these sacred forums!

Why is this not listed on the OS USA site?

http://www.osengines.com/

Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When they invent a gasoline two stroke engine that doesn't sound like it's about to come apart at idle is when I'll switch. They all do it, annoying popping and snorting sounds you don't get with glow. Not only that, but they don't fit in my size of aircraft, but even if they did I'd stick with glow.

Also, I'm not sure how you guys are treating your glow engines but mine are quite reliable.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

There is one way to make small gassers profitable.
NGH in China just converts glow engines, uses 1/4'' spark plugs, and a glow carb (kind of) on the small engines. ( NGHengine.com)
No roller connecting rod bearings, just a bit more work after flights to keep the engine happy. (if you use 1:30 oil)
Their newest engine is 9cc.
The 17cc engine sells in Europe for €230.00 . Not cheap by any standards

Not cheap but very interesting

I have a few airframes that would be happy to meet Mrs. 9CC Gas engine

Any idea who, if any one is selling these in the USA?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Paul_BB

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord
That's a really good question !
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I own a LHS and this is what I see. Planes in the 30 size and down are going electric. Planes in the 120 and up going gas. That just leaves the 40 to 60 size glow. This does not mean that they can't be electric but the cost of battery's goes way up and so does the number of battery's to fly all day.
The five and six cell battery's will have to come way down to make inroads on the mid size planes.
Electric still require multiple chargers and battery's to keep them flying all day. Dennis
Old 07-09-2011, 07:04 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Electric in .40 size to .60 size is still massively expensive and the cheaper battery packs just don't deliver the lifespan (despite what the pattern guys tell you).
I've stopped buying .40 to .60 size engines. I have a few but I'm flying the cr*p out of them to get some bang for the bucks I put into them.
Thereafter its just 17cc gassers and up to aroun 30cc size planes. Bigger is just too much of a hassle to move around and they don;t deliver more fun.

I think there is an opportunity for a 9cc gasser for the 4 size planes, especially if they can reduce the size of the ignition unit
Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 AM
DadsToysBG

thats the problem with gas when you get too small. the ingnition can't get smaller. Just ask TOM. I believe given time the only planes that will use glow will be the 40 to 60. My glow fuel sales is down over 50% from what is was 4 years ago. Dennis
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If a person wants to run glow fuel...you can do it a lot less expensive if you buy strait alky and mix it yourself. Use klotz oil and no nito like they do in europe. High compression engines is the key....like Moki, Supertigers...ect. It can be done. The use of a good 4 cycle glow plug like a OS Max "F" plug is needed also. I like the DLE small gassers now. Its flip & fly. Cost is next to nothing for fuel. Goodbye glow for me....except for my ABC .51 Como Supertiger! Capt,n Oh I got electric...gets boring after a short time!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 AM
willig10

Perhaps I see things a tad different than most. I truly believe that Gas is here to stay and with the advent of the smaller gasoline engines coming to market I can see glow being scaled down.

I personally would like to see DA, OS or for that matter DLE make a 15cc gas engine.

I do think that the 20cc engines are becoming drop in's for the 90 size planes. I also believe that a 15cc would be a great match for a 60 size airplane.

I am currently installing a Zenoah G20ei on a great planes big stick 60. I will also say this. If I had a dedicated 15cc aero derivitave engine that was gasoline and not glow converted I would have used it.

My opinion fwiw.

Glenn Williams
Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul_BB

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord
That's a really good question !
When glo came on the scene many years ago, the switch from gas to glo was a quick one. There were several reasons for the switch but the main one was probably the simpler setup and operation that glo offered over gas. Even back then, not all modelers had the skills or knowledge to get a gasser running. You had to assemble your spark ignition from components and get it all right .... then you had to worry about the points and timer mechanism. If the points got dirty = no spark. Some guys could never get the hang of retarding for starting then advance for run .... along with getting the carb mixture set correctly. Just look at all the seemingly silly questions from newbie gasser users on this forum and you get the picture. It really wasn't much different back in the day. Some guys got it with gas engines and were successful, some just didn't get it at all and moved on to other hobbies .... or to glo power.

About the same time, engines were improving in quality and performance and all the new engines were glo so there really wasn't much of a choice. By the early 50's or so, it was pretty much glo or nothing and many of the old gassers were retired to drawers or cigar boxes where guys like me found them a few years later and were marveled by them. Of course as young teen agers or younger, we had no idea how to make them run and the ignition parts were long since lost. End of memory lane ......

Simply stated ... the old gas engines died because something better came along and replaced them! That may reverse itself again if the mfgrs. can reduce the size of ignitions, carbs and of course those big ugly spark plugs. The technology is there for smaller ignition units but I'm not sure modelers are ready to pay the price for them. Carbs will be another issue all together.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Andika

ORIGINAL: willig10

I personally would like to see DA, OS or for that matter DLE make a 15cc gas engine.

If I had a dedicated 15cc aero derivitave engine that was gasoline and not glow converted I would have used it.
The time will tell if the Saito, Magnum, FOX and NGH 9cc engines will get success.
http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?c...6357994861294a

Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Antique

FWIW, we flew old time gassers with spark ignitions on our RC free flights...My McCoy redhead 60 got me a trophy about 40 years ago...Pro Line radio on AM 72...Gee, I wonder how we did it..??
No shield on the spark plug wire, just a 10 K resistor in the lead at the plug...
AFAIK the old timers are still winning contests with serups like that...
The Proline was a REAL radio.... Mine still works just fine...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:50 AM
DadsToysBG

Hey antique weren't you about 7 then when you got your trophy. Dennis
Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever wonder which came first gas or glow? History will show you gas did. Went to glow for more power. Glow fuel costs more now so your going back to gas. Electrics have there place but will not replace gas IMO.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 AM
AmishWarlord

So when they come out with a $12 10 oz. motor that produces 20 HP and runs for 60 hours on it's $5 46volt 2 oz fuel cell, your going to stick with a gasoline two stroke engine?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 AM
tony0707

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

what ive found out thanks to a flying buddy of mine is... if i go over every seam, and every stripe with clear nail polish they will last a lot longer. its tedious work but worth it

i bought a cheapo chinese ultra sport clone covered chinakote off ebay and it didt last worth a crap.... i bought another one and gave it the nail polish treatment and the covering is still intact.

you gotta do it in its assembling stage, before you hinge and glue in the tail surfaces
HI this applies to glo engine use only
YOU COULD use SIG clear dope on film seams ( monocoat and ultracoat )and decals-to keep them on for the long hall- you will not see it when it drys i will use the clear dope under the film ,on the balsa wood, with no issues were i know glo fuel will be present and might seep into the balsa for ex. at the ailerons near the fuse and the elevator on the engines exhaust side-i only know this from working with silk and dope finishes from 26 years ago do remember film is still the lightest covering process you can use-paint adds a good deal of weight to an airframe PERFORMANCE = POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO always !
glo soaked balsa can be repaired with a dry cleaning product call R2x ( i thinkor close to that powder in a spray can )and then coat the balsa with clear dope to get the wood HARD and protected again (balsa gets very soft from glo fuelthat is why we fuel proof )
old timer -building and flying a lot for 26 years do keep glo fuel off the balsa of your airframes for them to stay structurally sound for many many years
rock on !! BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So I am wondering, what is it that will keep an ignition from getting smaller? Just because the current offerings are the size they are does not mean they will remain this size. I am going to guess that they will come down in size significantly. Possibly even mounted to the engine itself. Also on the smaller gassers we will be able to use one battery to power the whole plane.
It is more a matter of motivation. That is what drives innovation. I look forward to some great products heading our way. If companies like OS are going to stay in business, I think they have to invest in small gassers.
I have a very large collection of glow engines and I personally love flow. It has gotten to where I hate having to buy glow fuel though. I could not imagine if I did not have a local hobby store. What do you guys do?
I am finding it inevitable that glow is quickly becoming a novelty. While electric is not for everybody, the battery prices do continue to come down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.