Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM
pulsar110
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Got it in March from ibcinyou. It has 2 short flights and about 4 tanks of gas thru it. I havent chatted with him about it yet and Im sure that he would try to make it right. Just very disappointed in the experience so far. My flying time is limited and I wont be able to fly til september due to work chasin fire over the hill. I had hoped that Id be able to have a little time with this plane before the season started. Thats where my disappointment comes from.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

I bought mine around the same time from them. My ignition module failed and the choke screw came loose too. But I am so far happy with mine.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
pulsar110

I was lucky enough to have today off and took it out to see what I could work out on trouble shooting. I came to the conclusion that the ignition has something going on. Heres what brings me to that. My standard starting is to choke and flip til it sputters and then take the choke off, couple flips later it should start. All I get is a sputter choked and a sputter after taking the choke off with the later being a longer sputter, maybe 4 or 5 firing strokes then dies. I get this regardless where the needles are set from lean to a point that drowns the spark plug. The other thing I did was pull the plug and seat it in the cap so that i could see the spark. What I found was that the first few flips gave me good spark then a series of weak ones that I could hear but not see like the first ones. Think Ill get another ignition and try that before I send it back to Mike to have him check it out.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 PM
gunny11

Sounds like the problem that I had. I first changed out the cap to an rcexel but it did the same thing. So I just used a spare Rcexel ignition module.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM
gplarry

pulsar110,

My PTE36 was tough to hand start at first.
I used a regular 12volt electric starter the first few starts.
After half dozen flights the compression improved and hand starting got a lot easier.
On mine now I choke and it pops on the third flip.
Choke off and 8 to 12 flips to get it started.

I have about two hours on my engine now.
It is at least as responsive as my DLE30 and has more power.
It seems to me that it turns a 19X8 Xoar about the same speed the DLE30 turns the 18X8 Xoar although I have not tacked either and the observation is based on how they sound.
I am using Avgas with synthetic oil running on the rich side.

My only complaints are that the choke plate screw came loose and the spark plug threads were sloppy.
The spark plug could be wiggled all the way down until the washer touched.

With the 19X8 prop the engine heats up quickly.
It would be easy to overheat it before it breaks-in.
An 18X8 is probably safer for the first few gallons.

Larry

Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM
octanehuffer

Why are you running av gas. You loose power and it is not needed.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: octanehuffer

Why are you running av gas. You loose power and it is not needed.
Small drop in power is more than offset by more practical matters like virtually no stench and much greater stability in storage compared to auto gas. I use avgas too for those reasons. For these smaller airplanes, 5 gallons will often last all summer or longer.

I know about the drop in power....it doesn't matter in my set-up
Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 PM
gplarry

My SBach bit the dust last weekend.

The Fuselage and landing gear are the only things hurt but I doubt if I will spend the money to buy an replacement fuselage anytime soon.

I have a Hanger9 Extra 260 78" plane new in box.

The box says it will weigh 11.5 to 15 lbs and calls for up to a light weight 50 size engine.

I am thinking of building the plane so that it will balance with the PTE36 and no extra weight up front.

Or I could just get a DLE 55 for the Hanger9 extra and use the PTE36 on a SIG Extra 300 73" that I also have.

Does anyone have advice that they would share?

Larry
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gplarry

My SBach bit the dust last weekend.

The Fuselage and landing gear are the only things hurt but I doubt if I will spend the money to buy an replacement fuselage anytime soon.

I have a Hanger9 Extra 260 78'' plane new in box.

The box says it will weigh 11.5 to 15 lbs and calls for up to a light weight 50 size engine.

I am thinking of building the plane so that it will balance with the PTE36 and no extra weight up front.

Or I could just get a DLE 55 for the Hanger9 extra and use the PTE36 on a SIG Extra 300 73'' that I also have.

Does anyone have advice that they would share?

Larry
Sure, I have done just that....Take a look here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._7/key_/tm.htm

I modified the DLE55 a bit but the installation stands as is
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
pulsar110

Had a few minutes to tinker today. Got an Rcexl ignition for it. That was the issue at least so far. Now it runs so Im happy about that. The next thing is that I want to make sure its running the way it should so now Im into new territory again. Just now I put in a piston block and made the 2 marks on the case, then marked the middle which should be TDC. By this calculation Im way off on the timing as in its firing 10 to 15 degrees too soon. Would the engine run with it this far off?

Ok EDIT: My dumb ass measured on the wrong side so its actually pretty close. The timing is about 2mm past the mark for 28 degrees. It runs and sounds fine to me. Ill see about getting it closer but the screws and holes are just off a bit and I may have a hard time getting it dead on. Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
gunny11

pulsar110, I had the same issues you had and when I changed to the rcexel it runs and starts great. I too checked my timing and it was a couple of mm off. I didn't run out of slot in the hall sensor. I checked it with a degree wheel. Try it where it is 2mm off (retarded), you should be fine. Easier starts but just a little less power.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 PM
pulsar110

Perfect. Thats what I was thinkin and hoping, just wanted to make sure. Its in a GW MXSR and has almost too much power anyway. The last flight it was hovering at less than half throttle as it was and that was running super rich.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Rocketman_

While using the RCEXL Hall sensor tester to check the timing of my PTE36R, I discovered the following which I posted on page 5 near the end of post #115:
"The RCEXL ignition units trigger as the trailing edge of the magnet leaves the sensor (the buzzer stops) whereas the ignition unit supplied with the PTE 36cc triggers when the leading edge of the magnet reaches the sensor (the buzzer starts)."

You may want to take that into account when you replace the older PTE ignition with an Rcexl ignition.
Since PTE has supplied at least two different ignition units with this engine it is not known whether the newer ignition triggers the same as to old one.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
pulsar110

I remember that post. Thats what made me check into the timing. I spent some more time with it and got it to where it fires right on the money now.
Took it out this morning and ran it a bit. Was easy starting and ran fine. Actually got 3 flights in before it got too hot. Im running a Xoar 19x8 and that thing hauls. Rarely got over half throttle, even in the vertical lines. I might prop it back a bit. I know that in electric world if I went down a size that the motor would run cooler, can I expect the same here?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
gunny11

Actually got 3 flights in before it got too hot.
Did you mean the weather or the engine?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM
pulsar110

The weather got too hot. Its been in the low to mid 80s here then yesterday went to 98. Still gettin used to hot weather. All good though. Got my assignment this morning and headed out to chase some fire in central Utah for a while. Its hot, dry and business is good down there.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 AM
gunny11

Well, glad it wasn't the engine... Stay cool ;.)
Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

SB
Did you run the motor with the B&B SD 4.2 muffler. It work well? How wide is it? My stock muffler is 3 3/4 and I'm afraid it will be too close to the sides of the cowl on my Sig Rascal 110.. Any one else with any muffler help with a narrower unit. 3 1/4 inches would be nice. Thanks Brian
ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: pulsar110

I got one of these and love the power. Only issue Iv had is the welds on both pipes on the exhaust have failed. One fell off on the maiden flight. When I took the cowl off I can see the other is cracking around the weld and oil has seeped through. This is the only problem I have other than that it starts very easy and has tons of power.
I have found the answer to the garbage stock muffler. The B&B Bennett built muffler for the Sacks/Dolmar 4.2 is a direct bolt on. These really are'nt mufflers, but manifolds. I welded one of the pipes shut to quiet it down. These are well built and will last. I have'nt run the engine yet as I'm trying to figure out how to remove the prop shaft to adapt a single bolt hub to the engine. When I accomplish this the aircraft will be ready for flight.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

SB
Did you run the motor with the B&B SD 4.2 muffler. It work well? How wide is it? My stock muffler is 3 3/4 and I'm afraid it will be too close to the sides of the cowl on my Sig Rascal 110.. Any one else with any muffler help with a narrower unit. 3 1/4 inches would be nice. Thanks Brian
ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: pulsar110

I got one of these and love the power. Only issue Iv had is the welds on both pipes on the exhaust have failed. One fell off on the maiden flight. When I took the cowl off I can see the other is cracking around the weld and oil has seeped through. This is the only problem I have other than that it starts very easy and has tons of power.
I have found the answer to the garbage stock muffler. The B&B Bennett built muffler for the Sacks/Dolmar 4.2 is a direct bolt on. These really are'nt mufflers, but manifolds. I welded one of the pipes shut to quiet it down. These are well built and will last. I have'nt run the engine yet as I'm trying to figure out how to remove the prop shaft to adapt a single bolt hub to the engine. When I accomplish this the aircraft will be ready for flight.
Yep, dont know how wide it is, but its narrower than the stock and with the one stack welded shut, the club members and neighbors are happy and I did'nt notice any lack in performance. Its not coming loose anymore so I'd say its a great alternative to the stock muffler.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Great .. Thanks. Guess I'll try one. Anything narrow then stock will work for my Rascal. I have several B&B mufflers for other motors and none are near as wide as the stock PTE 36R muffler. Brian

[[/quote]
Yep, dont know how wide it is, but its narrower than the stock and with the one stack welded shut, the club members and neighbors are happy and I did'nt notice any lack in performance. Its not coming loose anymore so I'd say its a great alternative to the stock muffler.
[/quote]
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys Im haveing trobbles with my PTE36R

I ran it for a Hour with a 18X8 xora prop. Then put a larger Belia 18X10 3blade war bird prop on it. It would pull 5600rpms vs the DLE 30 wich could only do 4800rpms.

SO I let it run ever day during lunch at diffrent rpms all below 3200rpms.

But after doing the math, even thow I love the way this prop looks at this low of an RPM my top speed would be around 45mhp in a 18-19pound Corsair that dont sound good.

So I put a 20X6 xora off my DLE 30 to see what RPMS I could get I was thinking a 19X8 would be the prop of chose for this motor.

And I cant get it to idel down at all, its running reall ruff and crazy. I even put the needles back at factory setting and it was crazy it back fired at 5k and blew off my freaking prop. Im just so glad i was behind it as it broke one of the bricks on my house!

Now all the bolts are sheered off about 3-5mm down in the prop hub. I was thinking of useing a drimmal cut of wheel to get them out but I would have to cut them so so deep to get a grove in the bolts to use a flat tip to get them out.

What should I be looking for to fix this behavor?

Thanks Mike
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

If the bolts sheared below the prop hub use an EasyOut/ Screw extractor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts

Check your ignition battery votage for the other problems. That can cause all of the symptoms you describe. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It odd as it ran great with the big heavy prop. But with a standard prop all hell broke lose! I was thinking of the screw exstractors but the allummun is so soft and the bolts so small. I think I would mess it up more.

What volts should I be giving it? Im useing a life 6.6 pack
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the timing, and maybe try another ignition, your dle one will work fine on it.
For it to not idle down look at the reeds first.
The problem with the hub sounds nasty, those screwes are pretty thin, you may need to put a new hub on.
Also it sounds like you are running it in on the ground, you may overheat it by doing that.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 PM
CAT POwer
My Feedback: (61)

Hi there, the ignition will fry if if used with above 6 volts as I was told. The one went out on me it would not idle and back fire while in higher RPM's. If you use the one from the DLE you have to re-timeit.

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

It odd as it ran great with the big heavy prop. But with a standard prop all hell broke lose! I was thinking of the screw exstractors but the allummun is so soft and the bolts so small. I think I would mess it up more.

What volts should I be giving it? Im useing a life 6.6 pack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.