Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

For anyone interested Frank Bowman is now making rings for the pte 36, I just fitted mine.
     ringmaster46@msn.com
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What are the advantages to using a Bowman Ring?
    Is being a Circle Flyer a bad thing?
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rex,
    the rings Frank Bowman makes are far more accurate fit to the clylinder, the material is better and break in is much faster.
    Many people with dle's that use his rings say you gain more rpm, pressumably from better compression.
    I have been delayed with my latest project but will return to it soon.

Regards Mark
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got around to running my PTE36R yesterday. I cranked a few dozen times by hand to no avail. Eventually I used the Dynatron starter and it started right away. Considering all the bad press about the original CDI unit, I went straight for the CH CDI unit I have on hand. Also opted for a CM6 plug rather than the original stock plug

My needles needed to be opened to 3 turns open on the HS and 2 1/2 open on the LS, which is more than 1 turn more open than has been typical on other small gassies. Careful inspection while it was running revealed that the reed housing block was leaking around the seal. No biggie, just removed the block and resurfaced it. I also resurfaced the crankcase, aluminum reed cage and carb body. Ran out orf daylight yesterday so hope to get it going again tonight and see where the needles settle in.

Mine is soft mounted and piped set-up.... which means I have the original stock muffler for sale if anyone is interested. 30$ plus shipping
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lucky me, so far. The stock ignition modules and stock spark plugs are working perfectly on both of my PTE36R engines. Neither engine shows any sign of leakage anywhere. However, the very first start up of the first engine was difficult until I stuck my finger over the carb air inlet and choked it. Plugging the choke plate breather hole with solder and richening the high speed needle made the engines easy to start. All starts are performed by hand flipping.

Has anyone tried to buy a PTE36R lately? They appear to have disappeared from the scene. I checked several vendor web sites and they all list the engine as being unavailable, sold out or out of stock. Only redwingrc.com states that a version 2 is being manufactured and if you order now you will get a version 2 at the version 1 price as soon as they are available.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB
    http://www.nrcmc.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Has anyone tried to buy a PTE36R lately? They appear to have disappeared from the scene. I checked several vendor web sites and they all list the engine as being unavailable, sold out or out of stock. Only redwingrc.com states that a version 2 is being manufactured and if you order now you will get a version 2 at the version 1 price as soon as they are available.
    Well if you look at the dealers on their web site, Amr, Fox in the UK and Wolf in Aus still have stock, I noticed that ibc in yourrc is no longer an authorised agent http://www.ptepower.com/agents.asp

Matt, I cleaned up my reed cage/insulator blockas well, that helped with start up (by flipping)
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 3136

... I noticed that ibc in yourrc is no longer an authorised agent
    3136, thanks for the link to the Pterodactyl agents list. The list doesn't state whether the dealers are authorized or otherwise. It is true that IBCINYOURC.COM is missing from the list but so are a number of others. My engines were purchased from ibcinyou. Do you believe that they have somehow run afoul of the Pterodactyl company?
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you believe that they have somehow run afoul of the Pterodactyl Company?

Nothing to do with running afoul. I asked them to remove ibcinyourc.com from their agent list due to the simple fact of lack of support dealing with various problems/quality/warranty issues. Until they support ibcinyourc better i.e. making right on some promises I have chosen to be removed and stopped selling PTE36R. I do have Version 2 engines but have not tested them as yet. I do not wish to offer a product that potentially will come back for various problems until I know these issues are completely resolved.
    Mike Williams
    Email: will5006@sbcglobal.net
    Shop: 314-256-9987
    Cell 314-348-0293
    RCU FG RCgroups
    St. Louis, Missouri

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike, thanks for your input.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup, that kind of insight pretty helpful from where I'm sitting....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt, I cleaned up my reed cage/insulator blockas well, that helped with start up (by flipping)
    I maidened the PTE today in a Vanquish pattern plane. No issues with hand cranking and getting the engine to start now that the leaks were stopped up.

The engine is powerful enough for this 10# 5 oz pound plane. XOAR 19x10 laminated woodie turning around 7K rpm. Very sporty. I kept the verticals to about 1000 feet and didn't want to over stress a new engine. Bearings are quite tight of course but compression is low. It should get better as it breaks in but still no issues with hand starting even with lower compression than I've had with other 30cc class engines.

My particulars are Avgas 100LL, BelRay MC1 motorcycle racing synthetic, 50:1 my "normal" mix ratio. Soft mounted engine and piped. Very quiet, neighbor friendly set-up
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Matt, did you put a Bowman ring in it?
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What symptoms did the leak in the backplate and reed cage cause? Mine has about 2 hours on it and runs fine. I just don't think it idles as well as it should. The idle seems a bit erratic. My compression seems low also but is improving from when it was new from the box.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Matt, did you put a Bowman ring in it?
    No I did not. What will it buy me?

Got about 1 1/2hours of run time so far (8 flights) with the stock ring on the piston. Everything is fairly tight of course but No trouble at all starting this engine now that all leaks were fixed. Idle is good with a full tank but rather erratic when near empty as should be expected. Just purchased some Walbro filtered clunks which should help alleviate the leaning out and bubbles in the line.

Forgot to mention that I have the CH CDI on it and not the stock unit. In fact I haven't even run the stock unit and it is for sale if someone wants one. The muffler is too as are the nice blue stand offs....PM me if interested pleeez
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

What symptoms did the leak in the backplate and reed cage cause? Mine has about 2 hours on it and runs fine. I just don't think it idles as well as it should. The idle seems a bit erratic. My compression seems low also but is improving from when it was new from the box.
    Hey Rex, from my limited knowledge if it's sucking air you will need to richen the needles (mainly the low)to geta mix to get it to run.
    Then your idle will probably be too high as it's not controlled by the butterfly completely.
    As the mix is wrong it will not actually be tuned properly so you won't get the most out of it.
    It will also be hard to start by flipping, if your reeds are not seatiing properly it will also be hard to start by flipping as well.
    If I haven't explained this correctly I'm sure someone will correct me.

Spray some wd40 around the insulator block, if you have a change in idle you need to address it.
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Rex, from my limited knowledge if it's sucking air you will need to richen the needles (mainly the low)Â*to getÂ*a mix to get it to run.
    Then your idle will probably be too high as it's not controlled by the butterfly completely.
    As the mix is wrong it will not actually be tuned properly so you won't get the most out of it.
    It will also be hard to start by flipping, if your reeds are not seatiing properly it will also be hard to start by flipping as well.
    If I haven't explained this correctly I'm sure someone will correct me.

Spray some wd40 around the insulator block, if you have a change in idle you need to address it.
    The description is pretty accurate
    An air leak around the backplate (any air leak for that matter) will cause the mixture entering the cylinders to be leaner than the carburettor settings will suggest, this you need to richen the needles to compensate
    Running will be erratic and in particular the idle will be poor.
    Poorly seating reeds cause difficult starts and poor performance at the top end

The good thing is both problems are easily diagnosed and usually easy to fix.
    Then again, one shouldn't have to take such measures on a new engine because leaking case and poorly seated reeds due to casting imperfections are not exactly signs of a well built engine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I must not have that issue. Runs strong and consistent thru all throttle settings off of idle. I just felt the idle was not low enough. I may need more mixture adjustment and more time on the motor. Thanks.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me suggest that you check idle with a tach. It sounds different at idle but rpm are low. In fact I can't go that low on landing since the plane stops flying

My impression of this engine so far is a mixed bag(and I know I am very early in its life cycle). I've had to resurface the reed ally cage and remove casting flashing. Then I re-seated the reeds. Once I got the engine going I saw bubbles at the carb seat and reed cage seat (plastic housing) which was also easy to fix. I tend to agree with Pallson on these issues, they should not exist. On the other hand, my OS33GT broke its backplate after the first 4 runs so even the most reputable can have their issues. But there is no comparison between the PTE36 and the OS....

The PTE, my issue at least, has been easy to start and run. Good field manners overall and is adequately strong for my plane although I tend to run full throttle a lot more than I want.... Lots more to learn about right sizing the load on this engine
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt,

Is the OS more powerful? I have my PTE on a 3DHS 71" Slick. Have not weighed the plane but my other 70" Slick comes in around 10.5 to 11 lbs. The 71" Slick with the PTE and a 19-8 Vess Prop is an absolute rocket. Hovers at 1/2 and pulls out like a missile. I can't imagine having more power than the PTE puts out.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It seems that a crankcase leak has to be fairly substantial before it will affect engine starting and idle.
    The last time I flew my PTE36 powered Giles 202 3D model I began a full throttle vertical climb to gain altitude to do a blender and the engine slowed down but it didn't quit. I throttled back for a landing approach but I had to advance the throttle to make it to the runway and the engine kept running. When the throttle was retarded to the idle position the idle speed was very erratic but the engine never quit. When the cowl was removed for inspection I found the one carb mounting bolt was backed out several turns and the other one was backed out a little and I could rock the carb from side to side with my fingers. Now, that was a really severe leak.

That incident made me wonder how long it had been leaking because there was never any hard starting or poor idling. Oh well, maybe small leaks are nothing to worry about.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt,

Is the OS more powerful? I have my PTE on a 3DHS 71" Slick. Have not weighed the plane but my other 70" Slick comes in around 10.5 to 11 lbs. The 71" Slick with the PTE and a 19-8 Vess Prop is an absolute rocket. Hovers at 1/2 and pulls out like a missile. I can't imagine having more power than the PTE puts out.
    The OS33GT is the most powerful 30 cc class engine I have tested to date. Keep in mind all of my set-ups are tested on pipe so the muffler alone performance will be different. AND, I have not tested them all. I am only testing 30cc class engines that weigh no more than about 36 ounces (engine only). I have a DLE35RA coming soon too....

It isn't just the props sizes it hauls. Rather it's those props being turned with great authority throughout the throttle curve. Tremendous tork characteristics similar to a 4 stroke like a YS175. My current favorite prop is the apc 20 x 10.5 PN. But that will probably change as I continue to load the engine down and it comes back singing. Next is the 21x10....

The 71" plane is very small for this engine but it won't go any faster on it. Your punch out will be done with greater authority at lower throttle..... especially if you are turning a 20" prop
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At minimum, a leak will interfere with the engine's ability to draw fuel as it's built in pump will not operate asit should. Once the leaks are fixed, the needles can be tuned properly for greater consistency over time
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MTK

Matt,

Is the OS more powerful? I have my PTE on a 3DHS 71'' Slick. Have not weighed the plane but my other 70'' Slick comes in around 10.5 to 11 lbs. The 71'' Slick with the PTE and a 19-8 Vess Prop is an absolute rocket. Hovers at 1/2 and pulls out like a missile. I can't imagine having more power than the PTE puts out.
    The OS33GT is the most powerful 30 cc class engine I have tested to date. Keep in mind all of my set-ups are tested on pipe so the muffler alone performance will be different. AND, I have notÂ* tested them all. I am only testing 30cc class engines that weigh no more than about 36 ounces (engine only). I have a DLE35RA coming soon too....

It isn't just the props sizes it hauls. Rather it's those props being turned with great authority throughout the throttle curve. Tremendous tork characteristics similar to a 4 stroke like a YS175.Â* My current favorite prop is the apc 20 x 10.5 PN. But that will probably change as I continue to load the engine down and it comes back singing. Next is the 21x10....

The 71'' plane is very small for this engine but it won't go any faster on it. Your punch out will be done with greater authority at lower throttle..... especially if you are turning a 20'' prop
    It is a large engine for this plane. I do not compete but just like large engine because of the vertical performance and the fact that I don't need to run them very hard. At lower throttle settings I get good performance and less noise. I don't want the complexity of pipes and soft mounting.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have two brand new in the box PTE36 motors. I will take 280.00 a piece shipped within the usa. I accept paypal but using paypal will cost you a extra 5 dollars. These engine are brand new in the box all orignal packing and paperwork never mounted or seen a drop of fuel. You can call or text me at 806 773 1249 or email me at Nambadistrict7@suddenlink.net If you want to see my feedback I am Saillfish on ebay. Thanks, Scott G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75019.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	1828227  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After six good flights an seperate weekends I took my SLick out today and the PTE would not start. Would not draw fuel. Flipped until I was worn out, not a pop. Removed the plug and put fuel in the cylinder. Started in a few flips and quit when it ran the prime out. Put the choke on and eventually it started. Got two good flights and then the low end went lean and the throttle response went away. After this it would not start again. Sounds like reed block or intake leak? Very frustrating!
    Rex Birkinbine

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast