Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

ORIGINAL: Saillfish

I have two brand new in the box PTE36 motors. I will take 280.00 a piece shipped within the usa. I accept paypal but using paypal will cost you a extra 5 dollars. These engine are brand new in the box all orignal packing and paperwork never mounted or seen a drop of fuel. You can call or text me at 806 773 1249 or email me at Nambadistrict7@suddenlink.net If you want to see my feedback I am Saillfish on ebay. Thanks, Scott G.
    I too have decided to sell the PTE36R. I fixed all of the issues I encountered but it's time for me to move on to other projects. It is a fairly strong engine,runs and idles great,and will work great in many sport aerobatic planes up to around 80" or so. If interested please contact me directly at my email. Engine has 11 x 10 minuteflights on it and is not broken in yet. I have all the same packaging as new. I want to move the engine so I'm pricing it well below new pricing...Thanks
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

After six good flights an seperate weekends I took my SLick out today and the PTE would not start. Would not draw fuel. Flipped until I was worn out, not a pop. Removed the plug and put fuel in the cylinder. Started in a few flips and quit when it ran the prime out. Put the choke on and eventually it started. Got two good flights and then the low end went lean and the throttle response went away. After this it would not start again. Sounds like reed block or intake leak? Very frustrating!
    Sounds just like mine. It ran perfect for about 5 or 6 flights when new but then things started happening. First the ignition died, got a new one under warranty. Ran good a couple of flights then wouldn't draw fuel. Took the reed block off and sanded all surfaces flat. Would start but only with electric starter. Then one day was flying and it died in the air, couln't make it back to the field and landed short breaking the firewall loose and damaging the wing. The spark plug threads stripped and the plug blew out. Mike at IBCINYOU gave me a used head but it had some scratches on the cylinder wall, doesn't have much compression now. Last time I tried to start it, wouln't fire even with starter. Removed carb and choke butterfly is gone, still looking one of those. I got the engine in January and I have maybe 25 flights on it, and maybe 10 have not ended in a dead stick. I still would like to get it to run reliable, but I'm frustrated too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When it runs it runs great. The two flights we had yesterday were great. Gobs of power, great throttle response and then wouldn't start. I'm stubborn, I'm gonna make this engine work somehow!
    Is being a Circle Flyer a bad thing?
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: prophecypilot

After six good flights an seperate weekends I took my SLick out today and the PTE would not start. Would not draw fuel. Flipped until I was worn out, not a pop. Removed the plug and put fuel in the cylinder. Started in a few flips and quit when it ran the prime out. Put the choke on and eventually it started. Got two good flights and then the low end went lean and the throttle response went away. After this it would not start again. Sounds like reed block or intake leak? Very frustrating!
    Sounds just like mine. It ran perfect for about 5 or 6 flights when new but then things started happening. First the ignition died, got a new one under warranty. Ran good a couple of flights then wouldn't draw fuel. Took the reed block off and sanded all surfaces flat. Would start but only with electric starter. Then one day was flying and it died in the air, couln't make it back to the field and landed short breaking the firewall loose and damaging the wing. The spark plug threads stripped and the plug blew out. Mike at IBCINYOU gave me a used head but it had some scratches on the cylinder wall, doesn't have much compression now. Last time I tried to start it, wouln't fire even with starter. Removed carb and choke butterfly is gone, still looking one of those. I got the engine in January and I have maybe 25 flights on it, and maybe 10 have not ended in a dead stick. I still would like to get it to run reliable, but I'm frustrated too.

As a side note, my ignition failed also. I found out that the RcExcel is a direct replacement. That's what I'm running on mine now and it works great.

Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, while I was waiting for a replacement I robbed one from my DLE 30. The sensor had to be positioned different for timing, but ran great with it. I know what you mean, it's a strong engine when it's running. I've got a Bowman ring coming for mine, maybe that will help with compression. we'll get them figured out one day!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is what the reeds look like after the engine wouldn't start. Prior to the no start my low end response went away. It acted like it was going lean on the low end. After that flight it wouldn't start again. The crankcase pulse tube was a loose fit on the crankcase fitting also. The reed below the frayed one looks just like the one shown. No idea why this happened. Don't see anything the could have hit.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This time the photo is viewable.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reeds will eventually chip no matter if they are made of metal, carbon fiber or fiber glass. Fiber glass chips are probably less harmful as they pass through the interior of the engine.
    Though they are chipped, your reeds appear to be providing a seal because they still cover the inlet ports.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB
    http://www.nrcmc.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see your point. I will replace them anyway. It is possible the pulse tube being a loose fit may  have caused my issue.I am concerned that the reeds chipped with just 3 hours on them.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rex, and anyone else who is having problems, I did a small mod to mine which made it a different engine.
    It is in this thred somewhere but I'll just describe it again.

Take your carb, reed cage and insulator block off
    Take the gasket between the reed cage and insulator block out and put the reed cage back in the insulator block
    You will see that the screws that hold the reeds on are holding the reed cage out from the insulator block.
    That gap is wider than the gasket.
    Take a round file or dremel and relieve a small amount away from the insulator block, so the screws are no longer causing a problem.
    That ridge will still be there so even if the screws come loose they can't be injested by the engine, so don't worry about taking some material away.
    Clean away all filings
    Assemble again with the gasket in place

You should also while you have it apart sand smooth any joining surfaces with fine wet and dry on a sheet of glass to ensure a good fit.
    Don't forget the back of the crankcase.
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I lifted up one of the reeds that was frayed and see casting flash under it. Must be why it frayed.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I pulled the gasket and reinserted the reed cage but mine sits flush. The screws do not appear to be interfering with the fit. The casting flash though is directly under the damaged area of the reeds.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rex, that's great. The factory must have fixed that problem.
    Mine was one of the first production units.
    I actually got a spare reed assy at the time and that has the problem too.

It's good to see they fixed it.
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Received my new reed block the other day, thanks Milehighrc.com!

The machine work looks better on the block and the reeds are different. The old ones look to be carbon fiber. The new ones are translucent and look like fiberglass. I'm hopeful!

Still love this engine.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew mine Sunday with the new Bowman ring and actually got 3 flights in with no deadstick. It also handstarted great each time. I may try the new reed block also. Things are finally looking up with this engine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see your point. I will replace them anyway. It is possible the pulse tube being a loose fit may have caused my issue.I am concerned that the reeds chipped with just 3 hours on them.
    Rex,

If push came to shove, we can make a set of reeds from kevlar cloth. Kevlar is leather tough and does not chipas doesmost other material.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure the composition of my original reeds but they looked like carbon fiber. I will see how the new reed block works when weather permits here in Ohio.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is that reed block made just for the pte or does it fit other engines too?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine developed a problem of burning the prime only, no start after prime. One reed is barely chipped not nearly what is in the picture above. I told Mike Williams of the problem and he suggests replacing the ignition which is a genuine RcXcel. I have another brand new PTE36R that I also purchased from mike and I'll swap the ignitions. Dose this diagnosis sound like the problem?
    KEEP UM FLYIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could be the combination of both? i.e. ignition or reeds. Here's photo of new reed cage assembly. I do have some of these in stock. FYI

http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...028&pd=4936390

[img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43789.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	1836655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68775.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	1836656  
    Mike Williams
    Email: will5006@sbcglobal.net
    Shop: 314-256-9987
    Cell 314-348-0293
    RCU FG RCgroups
    St. Louis, Missouri

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, BTW, we put a video together of a gassified Vanquish Pattern plane that uses the PTE36R. I think I called it FPE36R in the video but that was wrong. The video is a little bouncy but I think you can hear how the engine behaves after all the adjustments I made to the engine to get it to run reliably.

Enjoy! http://youtu.be/NvzPkbHACzM
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Mine developed a problem of burning the prime only, no start after prime. One reed is barely chipped not nearly what is in the picture above. I told Mike Williams of the problem and he suggests replacing the ignition which is a genuine RcXcel. I have another brand new PTE36R that I also purchased from mike and I'll swap the ignitions. Dose this diagnosis sound like the problem?
    When my reeds went it was quite sudden. Two were chiiped or frayed. Would not draw fuel and went lean then wouldnt start at all. at the beginning of the day I primed it thru the spark plug hole. That was the only way it started. After several flights it went lean and would start no more!

Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt,
    After seeing the way that engine ran I can't wait to get it on something!

I'm glad I bought it from you now.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt,
    After seeing the way that engine ran I can't wait to get it on something!

I'm glad I bought it from you now.
    Rex,

The original carbon cloth reeds are in the engine now. The engine has about a dozen flights on it so it still needs another 50 flights or so to be fully broken in. I think I'll make some reed stock from kevlar and send it along. Just cut to shape and install them if needed.... Just make sure you use kevlar shears or a very sharp razor blade to get a clean edge

The sound suppression is as much a product of the tuned silencer as the soft rubber isolation mount. I have the mount shown earlyin the video. It's the black donut the stand offs are mounted on. The stand offs I show are standard McMaster Carr hex aluminum. Very inexpensive
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone been flying the v2 of this engine? I just purchased one and am installing it in my super decathlon. It is brand new and is suppose to be a v2 engine. I am anxious to try this plane out. I had a mvvs 26 on this plane and it would hardly get the plane airborne. I am hoping not to have all the problems that everyone seems to have experienced with the original version.
    thanks
    Jeff

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast