Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

ORIGINAL: jjoos99
    ... I am hoping not to have all the problems that everyone seems to have experienced with the original version.
    thanks
    Jeff
    Not "everyone" is experiencing problems.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB
    http://www.nrcmc.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I do stand corrected. I have watched several videos of planes with this motor and it looks like it should kick some butt when running good. My decathlon came in at 16 lbs with the mvvs so i am looking forwards to flying the pte. Its winter here in Ohio so it will be awhile before I can fly it. The cold isnt as bad as the wind that never seems to stop in the winter.
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today's 50 deg temp was a little on the "warm" side here for January but the wind was gusting to 45mph and that kept my PTE 36's silent and indoors.
    The MVVS 26 is just not enough cc's for a 16 pound Decathlon. My 12.75 pound Sig CAP 231EX flew kind of OK with an MVVS 26cc but the vertical performance was severely limited. The CAP is now powered by a PTE36R which has made it a wild aerobatic performer with unlimited verticals.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was really surprised after getting the pte the mounting length was actually shorter then the mvvs. I havent done any weights but I didnt think it felt any heavier. I had to have a lb. of weight to the front of the plane with the mvvs so I should be good weight wise with the pte.
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeff, Im one of the few that had issues with mine. Basically a hard landing broke something inside my CDI, I think that any CDI might have suffered really as the plane belly flopped hard enough to blow out the carbon gear struts. The other issue I had that was more of a pain is the tubes on the mufflers like to fall out. Iv had 2 of the newer style mufflers and had tubes fall off both of them. Tomorrow I have a DLE 36 rear exhaust muffler arriving. From what I can tell it looks like it will be a direct bolt on.

Now all that said my engine is mounted in a Peak Models MXSR and it hovers at half throttle. Super running engine when things are good. I dont think you will be sorry when its going.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recently had a problem with mine, it just would not start, when I pulled the plug after 20 flips it was sopping wet so tried a fresh plug, same thing, tried another ignition, same prob, took the carb off cleaned it out and it fixed the problem.
    I think the metering needle may have been stuck slightly open and was flooding the engine.
    This is a walbro carb, and the problem went away after cleaning, so it was caused by me not feeding it with clean enough gas.
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pulsar110
    ... the tubes on the mufflers like to fall out. Iv had 2 of the newer style mufflers and had tubes fall off both of them. Tomorrow I have a DLE 36 rear exhaust muffler arriving.
    I have never seen a DLE-35RA rear exhaust engine but I have seen a DLE-55RA rear exhaust engine at my club field that broke its muffler after 3 or 4 flights. The entire muffler broke away from its flange. Busted mufflers seem to be a common gas engine problem.
    I too lost one exhaust pipe from the PTE-36R original muffler. The newer muffler is still intact.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I figured it was worth 25 bucks to see if it would be better. I know there are some nice steel ones out there but I'm not willing to pat with 65 bucks for one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_
    I have never seen a DLE-35RA rear exhaust engine but I have seen a DLE-55RA rear exhaust engine at my club field that broke its muffler after 3 or 4 flights. The entire muffler broke away from its flange. Busted mufflers seem to be a common gas engine problem.
    I am in process of installing my DLE35RA currently. It's a very nice looking engine. I doubt it will have the power of the OS GT33 but it's worth my time to find out how close it is. The rear exhaust configuration, just like the PTE 36R, is of great advantage in piped and fully enclosed belliesfound in some aerobatic models.

Forlength reasons DLE built their mounting lugs a full 15 mm thick bycasting a 5mm extension to their lugs. This not only adds unecessary weight to the crankcase, it also requires a longer, heavier bolt to mount. If length is an issue, there are lighter ways to accomplish it. Don't get that at all so I milled mine off....

If anyone has lost their DLE 35RA muffler, I have one for sale.Apologies in advance....don't mean to highjack the thread
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the DLE muffler mounted today. A few things I like about it are that the tubes are short with Teflon extensions. In my opinion they will be better as the Teflon will absorb the vibrations running up and down the tubes. Thus there isn't a wrought that's hard mounted swinging on an arm that's welded at the base. Hope that makes sense. Also as you can see its thinner profile from front to back. I like that too as its not so right to the fire wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30814.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1843299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sm29606.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1843300  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a friend that is pretty good with a tig welder. Would I be better off having the muffler welded before I even run my engine? I am thinking it might hold up better and save some trouble down the road.
    thanks
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the DLE muffler mounted today. A few things I like about it are that the tubes are short with Teflon extensions. In my opinion they will be better as the Teflon will absorb the vibrations running up and down the tubes. Thus there isn't a wrought that's hard mounted swinging on an arm that's welded at the base. Hope that makes sense. Also as you can see its thinner profile from front to back. I like that too as its not so right to the fire wall.
    I think that cutting the stock aluminum stingers to a stub on the muffler and running rubber extensions, is a good idea. Teflon doesn't absorb the vibes all that well from the exhaust stingers tho so you ought to check that.If you are trying to get the tube extensions to help with vibes, silicone rubber is the better choice. You may want to make these much longer than typical to reduce noise too
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You have an idea there Matt. I didnt know thats how this muffler would come as I didnt see any pics of it at the time. I just looked at the DLE engine and called TBM for the muffler. Not sure that this is the perfect solution but it seemed better than the stock one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The picture below shows one of the two PTE36R engines that I purchased from ibcinyourc and the original muffler that lost one of its exhaust tubes. The muffler failed within the warranty period but I never requested a replacement because it seemed pointless to keep removing the engine from the plane to install mufflers that are doomed to failure.

Got the DLE muffler mounted today. A few things I like about it are that the tubes are short with Teflon extensions. ...
    pulsar110,

Since the PTE36R muffler (version 3) is priced at $39.00 from ibcinyourc, your $25.00 DLE muffler might attract a lot of attention if it turns out to be strong enough. It would be a good thing if it also does some actual muffling. How is the fit, did the bolt holes match up without enlarging the holes in the muffler? Does the engine exhaust port align well with the muffler port?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mj24356.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	1843672  
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it was a straight bolt on with no mods at all. I held the 2 mufflers together and things looked like a near perfect match to me. Your pic is exactly what happened to 2 mufflers I had. The first one was one of the original first batch and second was supposed to be better. This is the 3rd muffler to put on it and the engine only has about 3 gallons of gas thru it. Im excited to see how this works out too.

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

The picture below shows one of the two PTE36R engines that I purchased from ibcinyourc and the original muffler that lost one of its exhaust tubes. The muffler failed within the warranty period but I never requested a replacement because it seemed pointless to keep removing the engine from the plane to install mufflers that are doomed to failure.

Got the DLE muffler mounted today. A few things I like about it are that the tubes are short with Teflon extensions. ...
    pulsar110,

Since the PTE36R muffler (version 3) is priced at $39.00 from ibcinyourc, your $25.00 DLE muffler might attract a lot of attention if it turns out to be strong enough. It would be a good thing if it also does some actual muffling. How is the fit, did the bolt holes match up without enlarging the holes in the muffler? Does the engine exhaust port align well with the muffler port?
    In looking at your photo I see that your muffler that failed is different than the ones on my engines. One of our members had a failure of his stock muffler. It looks like the one in the photo. The ones that came with my motors are much heavier and better built.

Is being a Circle Flyer a bad thing?
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Found
    CAT Power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My PTE36R is driving me a little crazy. This is my first gasser, so I'm probably doing something stupid.

Basically, I'm trying to tune it, but I want to avoid messing with the screws while the prop is running. Call me a chicken, but I like my fingers the way they are.

So choke it. It barks after 5 flips. Open the choke and give it a couple more flips. Brrrrrrrrrrrrm! Great!
    Shut it down to adjust needles. Give it a couple more flips. Brrrrmmmmm!!
    Third time it pops but will not start. it continues like that until I run out of time.

I start with the needles 1 1/2 turn out and make adjustments 1/8 turn at a time.

Why does it behave this way?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sounds like you are leaning it out to the point it wont run.
    If it's your first gasser maybe get some help from people at your club.
    This link is also helpful http://www.prme.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10
    Are you useing a tach?
    BTW when tuning a gasser it has to be warmed nicely.
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/8 turn can be to much......Now I not one to say take a risk...been in this hobby 34years without ever having a prop touch my hand or anything else.......but the rear carb is far enough away from the prop to make adjustments(you still need to be careful) running. Ask someone else to help you if it makes you nervous. If you do adjust(running) make sure the plane is held with the proper restraint. I always do this adjustment with wings off.......this allows me to kneel on one knee way behind the prop close to the fuselage. I have the screw driver in my right hand and my left hand is used as a guide to help hit the screw.....well behind the blade. Practice kneeling and hand movements with engine off....make sure you are in a comfortable position before you do it for real.

Last don't ever take your eyes off you hands....if you talk to the person running the radio make sure you back your hands to a safe area before you look away from the carb and prop area!!!!!!!!!! Hand,eye contact all times...... do not get distracted..

I also have operated almost every saw made, in my construction business, 10 hours a day 6 days a week for 40 years, and never scratched a finger,just keep your mind on task, and you will be fine.

Good Luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You really should do the reed block mod on that engine 1st. The pte reeds leak making them hard to start and harder to tune.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

You really should do the reed block mod on that engine 1st. The pte reeds leak making them hard to start and harder to tune.
    Thanks. Do you happen to have a link to a description of how to do it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another thing: There's some evidence of oil and fuel on the engine block right below the reed block. *Sigh* I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do surgery on the engine.

Oh well... First step is to have someone who knows what they're doing look at it. Then surgery if needed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it isn't all that much of a residue there and the engine is running OK, I probably wouldn't worry about what might be a slight leak. It could be some leftover residue from running the engine. such as some carb spitting or even some excess fuel dribbling out when choking the engine to start it. Airflow patterns could be pulling the residue over to where you are seeing it.
    Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: njswede

Another thing: There's some evidence of oil and fuel on the engine block right below the reed block. *Sigh* I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do surgery on the engine.

Oh well... First step is to have someone who knows what they're doing look at it. Then surgery if needed.
    Where in NJ?? If not too far a drive, I could probably help you. I worked with the PTE36R late last fall and changed a few things to make the engine run like a swiss watch.....Contact me directly if interested at the email address in my signature
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast