Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM
bobbee015
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Hi Mike,
The new V2 cylinder now has closed transfer ports which stop the wear on the piston and also increases the gas flow velocity into the cylinder. This also helps turbulence and gas mixing in the cylinder. The V1 used the side of the piston as the side of the transfer ports. Fairly common in small engines. The combustion chamber is also smaller which raises the compression. This is how they achieved the higher performance.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

How do you differentiate a V1 from a V2 by looking at one?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Any improvements to the ignition modules? I just sent my second one back to TBM. This one was throwing out so much noise that my servos would start moving when the engine was at high RPM. Radio equipment was a Futaba 2.4 FASST receiver. I confirmed the bad module by swapping it out with an RCExcel.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Ibcinyou!
My Feedback: (850)

ORIGINAL: SkidMan

How do you differentiate a V1 from a V2 by looking at one?
The easiest way to tell is look at the case halves, v1 you can see a gasket v2 doesn’t.
Also the reeds on v1 are black c.f. the v2 changed to a different white color type reed.

Cylinder changed as well The new V2 cylinder now has closed transfer ports which stop the wear on the piston and also increases the gas flow velocity into the cylinder. This also helps turbulence and gas mixing in the cylinder. The V1 used the side of the piston as the side of the transfer ports. The combustion chamber is also smaller which raises the compression. This is how they achieved the higher performance.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Ibcinyou!
My Feedback: (850)

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

Any improvements to the ignition modules? I just sent my second one back to TBM. This one was throwing out so much noise that my servos would start moving when the engine was at high RPM. Radio equipment was a Futaba 2.4 FASST receiver. I confirmed the bad module by swapping it out with an RCExcel.
Ignition modules to my knowledge have not changed, sounds like you have had two faulty pte ignitions.
Rcexl in my opinion is the best one available on the market today. If you need a rcexl let me know, I do stock them. FYI
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ibcinyou!

Rcexl in my opinion is the best one available on the market today. If you need a rcexl let me know, I do stock them. FYI
Mike,

CH Ignitions work great with the PTE (and most any engine) are lighter than RCExl and cost a little less. CH Ignitions also has a smaller module available requiring smaller installation footprint.They have some CDIs capable of accepting higher voltage inputs. To me it's probably a toss up as to which one is better, or which one will perform the longest. That just has to be seen
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Yeah, I know that the PTE modules are subpar and I could just replace it with a better brand, but seems to me that they should sell the thing with an RCExcl to begin with or make a better quality module so it doesn't fail in the first place. IMHO.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
rexbirk

MTK,

Just to update you on the engine I bought from you. I have 9 or 10 flights on it and it is running great. The 3D Hobby Shop 71" Slick it is on has unlimited ballistic vertical.  When it fly it people come up and say "When I saw that plane fly I thought it was a 50cc".

My two other 3DHS 30cc planes have MLD28 Engines on them. A nice smooth engine but this PTE36 makes a day and night difference! It's like Jekyll and Hyde!

Very glad I bought it from you. My other PTE36 is updated and ready for another plane now.

This engine is a brute.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM
njswede

Same experience here! The engine MTK helped me tune is turning into a real powerhouse after some 10 flights. Initially I had some issues getting it to idle reliably, but a touch richer in the low end and some more breaking in seems to have done the trick. Now is starts on <10 flips and runs nice and reliably.

And although you're really not supposed to do it until it's fully broken in, I tried some hovers and it hovers my 3DHobbyShop 72" Extra at about 1/4 throttle.

So far so good!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
rexbirk

MTK,

You should have kept this engine!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
BubbasanJohn

+1 on Ch ignitions! 
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

MTK,

You should have kept this engine!
Rex,

I am very glad you like it. Your 10 flights and my roughly 15 means it has almost 2 gallons through it. Give it another 2 gallons to fully loosen it (bearings and piston/cylinder become very slick) and you will get a little more out of it. After the 4 gallons remove the spark plug for inspection...it will tell you if it can go a little leaner.

I have about a dozen runs on the DLE 35R. It's a super docile engine with one flip starts mostly. Power is similar to the PTE. It's amazing how simple things get once the reed valves are seated correctly and all surfaces are sealed.

Pontus I am pleased with your good results too. Ten flips is more than I'd like but hey, you are still in a vertical learning curve. I'd bet that will go away in time

Take care fellas

Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM
njswede

Honestly, I don't count the flips. Maybe it's a bit less than 10. It's more than one at least.

We should get together and fly some day this season!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: njswede

Honestly, I don't count the flips. Maybe it's a bit less than 10. It's more than one at least.

Absolutely...I've been trying to finish the model you saw on my bench. I'd love to have it flying by end of May but I have business trips coming up so it may be a struggle. But no rush, we have a couple months of summer soon...
Old 05-11-2013, 03:55 PM
rexbirk

What amazes me about the Chinese Engines I have is how little compression they seem to have when turned over slowly. My two 3W Engines have enormous compression even when turned over slowly. My Chinese Engines run fine to be fair. I have seen a number of DLE Engines that have low compression as well.

Reminds me of Dykes Piston Rings in the old days. I know they are not Dykes but they act that way.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Rocketman_

I will be trying a canister exhaust system on a PTE36R to compare with a Bisson inverted rear exhaust Pitts muffler on another PTE36R. I don't really care for tuned pipes and canisters but I don't mind experimenting a little. A muffler only requires that you bolt it on and go flying. Pipes and canisters bring with them a host of hassles like finding the right header configuration for your engine installation and thrust angle, finding the correct header diameter and length for your pipe/canister, selecting the right pipe or canister for your application, selecting a pipe mount, finding a coupler that won't slip or burn out, etc. Generally, all of this comes at a price that most modelers are unwilling to pay.
The $59.66 canister, flex header, Teflon coupler and clamps pictured below came from sdshobby and were intended for the Melody MLD35 35cc gas engine. The header bolt holes had to be very slightly elongated to fit the PTE36R. If you search this thread you may be able to find that this canister has already been used on the PTE36R and that some experimentation has been conducted by shortening the header.
The UltraR/C Giles 202 comes with a canister channel (not a tunnel) hidden under the covering on the bottom of the fuselage, ideal for the rear exhaust PTE36R.

Picture 1 _ weighs 10.8 oz as assembled in this picture
Picture 2 _ canister mounted in channel under fuselage
Picture 3 _ shows slight "S" curve in header to account for engine being mounted off center
Picture 4 _ canister nearly hidden under fuselage of high mileage UltraR/C Giles 202

No flight info yet. The rains are here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77881.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1886782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24416.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1886783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98243.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1886784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb79909.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1886785  
Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Rocketman_

The PTE36R with its new canister was fired up at the field and it blew the coupler off the header during a short ground run. The connecting end of the header is smooth and slippery while the connector on the canister has a knurled O.D. which provides a better grip for the Teflon coupler. We took it home, reconnected the header and crunched the clamps down tight with lots of torque. I ran the engine in the back yard and the coupler hasn't popped loose yet.

The engine turned 7560 RPM with canister, stock flex header length and Xoar 19-3DA propeller. It sounded well muffled and mellow up through the mid range then got louder at full throttle but was not offensive. There may have been a bit sound reflection as the engine was run between the house and a low rock wall.

The PTE36R with the Bisson Pitts muffler sounds about the same or a little less at full throttle but the speed was 7000 RPM with a Xoar 19-3DA prop.

The Melody canister and the Bisson Pitts are both effective mufflers and are acceptable at our field.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90660.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1887341  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Rocketman_

Final impressions of the $64.99 (what I paid) canister muffler. I finally flew it and it works. It does exactly what you'd expect a canister to do, it dramatically reduces the sound emitted by the engine and when it is airborne the sound doesn't carry very far.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
rexbirk

MTK,

Took your engine in my 71" Slick from Ohio to Kansas City to a Huckfest (really went to take my son who moved there his planes) and even though they had 4.5 inches of rain before I arrived and I had to walk in soup and contend with 15 to 23 mph winds the engine ran great. Gets better all the time.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
MTK

Rex,

That's great!!! Maybe I should charge a fee for bluprinting these engines after my rework............ Nah,,,that's too much like work LOL!

Point it there is nothing wrong with the PTE 36R. Just some attention to detail and it will provide terrific service.....BTW folks please don't ask what i did to Rex's engine. Everything you need to know is in these pages earlier on. Let your fingers do the walking and eyes the reading
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
rexbirk

MTK is correct. What he did works!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM
njswede

Mine keeps putting big smiles on my face! As it breaks in, it keeps getting better. The power is amazing! It sends my 72" Extra out of sight vertically in a few seconds. It's starting to feel a little rich, though. Which is not much of a surprise, since it was probably in the 40s when I tuned it and about 95F when I flew it last weekend. I'll give it 1/8 on the high end next time.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:50 PM
rexbirk

Is that a 3DHS Extra?

Mine keeps putting big smiles on my face! As it breaks in, it keeps getting better. The power is amazing! It sends my 72" Extra out of sight vertically in a few seconds. It's starting to feel a little rich, though. Which is not much of a surprise, since it was probably in the 40s when I tuned it and about 95F when I flew it last weekend. I'll give it 1/8 on the high end next time.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:14 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: MTK

Absolutely...I've been trying to finish the model you saw on my bench. I'd love to have it flying by end of May but I have business trips coming up so it may be a struggle. But no rush, we have a couple months of summer soon...
That latest design is finished, but no maiden as yet. Maybe this weekend. But did start the engine, DLE55, piped,after a 2 year lay-off on the bench, bone dry. It took about 20 flips to prime the carb and one flip to start the engine. Still using the original stock plug in this DLE and in the DLE35RA. Nothing wrong with these plugs in my experience, but I know certain others hammer the plugs when they open the box. Some do the same with the PTE36R plugs.

Anyway, I use Avgas so that could be the reason the rubber parts in the carb were fine after 2 year lay-off
I've been considering using premium auto gas but I think I'm gonna stay with what works great....
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM
njswede

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

Is that a 3DHS Extra?
Yes sir! Highly recommended, by the way! Does both 3D and big beautiful patterns like a champ. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing! Probably the easiest flying airplane I've ever flown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.