Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 AM
tom_sandiego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Mark and Mike, I think both of you should stop this because people tired to read all these. And for Mark thanks for you input about my issues but this is what i choose to do business with Mike, I rather pay haft of the cost for the Ignition then go through all stuff to send the part back and wait for a month maybe longer to get replacement. Bottom line we should talk about the technical of this engine then this :-)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Ibcinyou!
My Feedback: (850)

Very well said Tom, Thanks for your comments I couldn’t agree more!

For the record I have tried to steer clear of posting these bickering back and forth childish statements, that’s why I wanted to use PM and not post on this forum! When someone chooses to point fingers, and question my integrity I had to reply.

The bright side of things is sales, calls, and emails about these awesome engines is over the top. I will need to order more very soon!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, lets agree to disagree.
I think you should still get the ignition back, if it is faulty the factory would like to know what went wrong with it, considering it's a new line.
I'll even paypal you the postage.

Regards Mark
Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
tom_sandiego

ORIGINAL: 3136

Mike, lets agree to disagree.
I think you should still get the ignition back, if it is faulty the factory would like to know what went wrong with it, considering it's a new line.
I'll even paypal you the postage.

Regards Mark

I don't think you want to waste your time for it, stuff from china you never know today it works and it dead tomorrow. What the manufacture do for you? they just send you the new one and forgot the issue.[]
Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Hi Tom,
well they got feedback on the dud mufflers and the factory updated them to be a lot stronger, so it looks like the company actually wants to make a good product.
DLE set the example, maybe PTE are trying to be a real contender, the only way to do that is strive to be better.
They just need their dealers to be on the ball and give the feedback coming from the field, if the factory is unaware there is no way they can improve.

It would be nice if the PTE factory could chime in.

Regards Mark
Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Hey Tom I have a better idea, can you mail the ignition to the dealer in Australia?
I'll cover the postage fees.
I know Bob at Wolf models will be happy to test it and liase with the factory if there is an issue?

Regards Mark
Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 AM
tom_sandiego

Hey Tom I have a better idea, can you mail the ignition to the dealer in Australia?
I'll cover the postage fees.
I know Bob at Wolf models will be happy to test it and liase with the factory if there is an issue?

Regards Mark
Hi Mark,

It's too late i already throw away
Old 12-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Ibcinyou!

Tom,
PTE is aware that the first modules had a resistor problem, very simple fix! I have sent 3 modules back to PTE for them to investigate. THEY have and are pro-active as well as their DEALER in the USA. My head is not in the sand like implied! (not by you) No need to cover postage, I already have..

Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Rocketman_

The questions in my previous post (post #164) were adequately answered in an off line reply that included some interesting revelations. Now I have more questions that I hope can be addressed in the open forum where all can benefit. Just from reading the exchanges in this thread it sounds as if some gentlemen share a prior history that is making it difficult for them to engage in a stress free and easy discussion.

Can the new and improved muffler be purchased separately without the engine? Has anyone actually used the new muffler to determine whether it muffles better or is it just a mechanically stronger version of the original noise maker? If it is the same as the original I would wonder why anyone would be anxious to get a replacement if it is useless at fields where noise is an issue.

The rear exhaust on the PTE36R is a really convenient configuration for a number of installations including those where a canister or pipe might be used. Perhaps the sellers of this engine could communicate with header and muffler manufacturers and suggest that they provide some examples of their products to fit this new engine.

Bisson Custom Mufflers already has a Pitts style muffler for an inverted rear exhaust Zenoah G-38 that they may be able to alter it to fit the PTE36R.
Wolfmodels.net lists a flex header and canister for the DLE-30 so maybe a flex header can be provided for the PTE to allow it to use the DLE-30 canister.

I guess we could each search around to find a special made exhaust solution and pay extra for it.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Ibcinyou!

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

The questions in my previous post (post #164) were adequately answered in an off line reply that included some interesting revelations. Now I have more questions that I hope can be addressed in the open forum where all can benefit. Just from reading the exchanges in this thread it sounds as if some gentlemen share a prior history that is making it difficult for them to engage in a stress free and easy discussion.

Can the new and improved muffler be purchased separately without the engine? Has anyone actually used the new muffler to determine whether it muffles better or is it just a mechanically stronger version of the original noise maker? If it is the same as the original I would wonder why anyone would be anxious to get a replacement if it is useless at fields where noise is an issue.

The rear exhaust on the PTE36R is a really convenient configuration for a number of installations including those where a canister or pipe might be used. Perhaps the sellers of this engine could communicate with header and muffler manufacturers and suggest that they provide some examples of their products to fit this new engine.

Bisson Custom Mufflers already has a Pitts style muffler for an inverted rear exhaust Zenoah G-38 that they may be able to alter it to fit the PTE36R.
Wolfmodels.net lists a flex header and canister for the DLE-30 so maybe a flex header can be provided for the PTE to allow it to use the DLE-30 canister.

I guess we could each search around to find a special made exhaust solution and pay extra for it.
Short answer Yes and yes, The new and improved muffler can be purchased separately without the engine, It is mechanically stronger but still has the same noise levels, a simple fix to this is stuff heavy gauge steel wool into muffler before install. I also sell a stainless steel version of the original muffler $65, or we can make whatever version you might want? I just placed an order for some canister and headers that should and I stress should fit this application with the rear exhaust flange. I will be posting those on the website when available.

Thanks Hope this helps?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Ibcinyou!

Tom,
PTE is aware that the first modules had a resistor problem, very simple fix! I have sent 3 modules back to PTE for them to investigate. THEY have and are pro-active as well as their DEALER in the USA. My head is not in the sand like implied! (not by you) No need to cover postage, I already have..

OK Mike well that's good to hear issues are being addressed, howeverthose of us with thefirst cdi's could then have a failure?
Do you know what the cause was? Over voltage?
Was that resistor in the voltage supply line?

Rocketman, I think the 30cc canister would be too restrictive, the MVVS tuned pipe 3268looks like a good option, maybe add a little grunt, I'm not sure if they have a header that would fit though.
Perhaps Ari could elaborate?

http://www.mvvs-australia.com.au/accessories.htm

Regards Mark
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Ibcinyou!

OK Mike well that's good to hear issues are being addressed, however those of us with the first cdi's could then have a failure? Possibly, not sure
Do you know what the cause was? Over voltage? I just don't know if it was over voltage? Was that resistor in the voltage supply line? yes, behind the spark plug cap

Rocketman, I think the 30cc canister would be too restrictive, the MVVS tuned pipe 3268 looks like a good option, maybe add a little grunt, I'm not sure if they have a header that would fit though.

Regards Mark
[/quote]
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM
aussiesteve

Tom,

So is there a free replacement automatically being sent out to the users of the early engines with the problematic ignitions?

Or will you just deal with it IF they complain and let them have their planes at risk

Come to think of it, same with the mufflers. Should they also be getting upgraded for free?

So far it seems like another Chinese Engine Supply chain that is using the customers as the R&D department.

Just sayin'
Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

i dont know of any engine supplier that provides a safety net .The model is at risk every time it flies.Life is a risk.Mike is a good guy and will bend over backwards to help .If he makes a mistake its an honest mistake.Inexpensive engines are just that INEXPENSIVE.You cant demand low prices and then complain about getting free upgrades.Im sure if its a problem with ignitions It will be covered .
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Mike did the actual resistor fail or the connection between the high tension line and the spring in the silicone cap?

Well if it's just that resistor that's an easy fix.
Here is how Jedi (his tutorials live on) describes how to do it for a dle, I would assume the PTE will be the same.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9513934

here is a part that may suit?
http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl...d&productId=78

The question is, is it nessisary, is the risk of it failing during flight that high?

Don't forget all sorts of parts fail on our models it's a risky hobby in general.

Regards Mark
Old 12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Rocketman_

... I just placed an order for some canister and headers that should and I stress should fit this application with the rear exhaust flange. I will be posting those on the website when available.
Sounds good, Mike. Thanks.

... I think the 30cc canister would be too restrictive, the MVVS tuned pipe 3268 looks like a good option, maybe add a little grunt, I'm not sure if they have a header that would fit though.
Thanks for the info, Mark. I wasn't sure about the 30cc canister but I'd already assumed that my MVVS 26cc pipe was undersize.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rocketman, I think the 30cc canister would be too restrictive, the MVVS tuned pipe 3268 looks like a good option, maybe add a little grunt, I'm not sure if they have a header that would fit though.

Regards Mark
Mark, I don't know the exhaust flange diameters on the Pte engine. Being a rear exhaust engine, headers could also be an issue. MVVS pipes are designed specifically for that engine so as I don't know the exhaust characteristics of Pte, I cannot really comment on how the MVVS pipe would do.
On a given MVVS engine with the correct pipe, you gain an additional 500 static RPM or so.

Sorry not to be of more help
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 AM

Can Mike or Bob or PTE factoryelaborate on the exhaust bolt spacing and opening dimensions?

Regards Mark

edited for spelling

Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Rocketman_

All of the engine's important exterior dimensions are conveniently displayed on and in the box by the manufacturer. All, except the exhaust port and it's bolt spacing dimensions.
If I decide to have a custom exhaust system made I'll have to provide the source with rough measurements taken with my cheap caliper.

On the ibcinyou website, http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...824&pd=4198124 , there is a picture of the ibcinyou and original mufflers side by side and the inlet port of the ibcinyou muffler appears to be a good deal smaller in size. So, maybe size is not important. Or, was it made smaller to block the exhaust in an effort to reduce the noise?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Hey Rocketman,
file attached, it doesn't show the opening size but it looks to be 15 x 28mm.

I have a wolf muffler so I don't know the exhaust size you have, maybe these would fit
http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl...&productId=515
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fc90216.pdf (22.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

don't want to high jack this thred,but is there any news about the 60 that is due out in March?
any kind of wieght on the engine,or how much will it cost?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Ibcinyou!

You’re not highjacking a thing! This is what this forum is supposed to be all about! Information, facts, sharing ideas, thoughts and positive comments. I do not yet have an ETA as of yet on the PTE60i. The 72cc twin engines will be available very soon, Like in a month or so. I don’t have any idea on pricing just yet, I will keep everyone posted when more info is available. After production and testing they will begin to develop the PTE60i. I honestly don’t know why they discontinued the PTE50i before the 60 was done?
I am sorry to disappoint but that's all I know at this point in time.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Hey Mike did you get an answer on the resistor issue?
Would the dle 30 plug cap kit suit?

Regards Mark
Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Ibcinyou!

The actual cap has nothing to do with it. Its the resistor that was the issue that goes inline from the module to the cap inside the wire.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Hey Mike I didn't explain myself well enough.
I was asking if the dle 30 plug cap kit (that comes with a resistor) will suit the 36?
With the ones that failed was it the actual resistor or the connection?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.