Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Trouble DLE30 and DLE55

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:35 PM
SuperCub Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble DLE30 and DLE55

I've been flying both of these motors for a couple of years now. The DLE-30 is in a 1/4 scale Super Cub and the DLE-55 is in my 26% Skybolt, both scratch built from plans. I have not been flying very often for the past while but recently having had cataract surgery the world is now extremely sharp and in focus once again and I am having a ball! - except that all of a sudden, both my aircraft are glitching like crazy. I had made some changes to them while I was temporarily out of business. I run a JR 2.4G 9303 XMTTR and JR 7 CH RCVR. I switched from Nimh batteries to A123. The Supercub has a new IGN. module (cut the ignition wire on the FG cowl so replaced whole thing) and has one battery running both the receiver and the ignition. The Skybolt has separate A123's running RCVR and IGN. Both planes flew successfully with this setup. I have 2 N40007 Diodes reducing the V on the IGN leads. I then added an RCexl Kill switch to each aircraft. I flew the Cub successfully many times with this set up and had absolutely no trouble. I wanted to get a few hours under the belt with the Cub before tackling the much faster Skybolt. I then flew the Skybolt and on the first flight it acted a little strange so I landed and saw that at certain speeds I had glitches. I took out the Cub the next day and the throttle glitched so bad I couldn't maintain any steady throttle control. Each time the engine coughed the surfaces glitched and the throttle jumped high to low to high! Tried a new IGN module on the Skybolt and got the same thing! Someone suggested the Kill switches were defective and many said they had trouble with them - so I removed them. I am still getting glitches. So I replaced the Motor servo on the cub, but no change. It is mounted on the firewall and the motor servo on the Skybolt is mounted with the rudder/elevator servos as normal. I re-dressed all the wires on the Skybolt so they lead away from the RCVR and are neatly bundled where possible. All my connectors are gold Futaba and have those plastic safety joiners on them so there are no loose connections.
I'm just at a loss where to go next. I've been in this hobby for over 50 years and can usually solve any problems I've run across, but this is a puzzler.

Is it possible that the RCexel Kill switch has killed all these IGN modules?? Definitely no Voltage overloads. Any thoughts appreciated before I really loose it!!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trouble DLE30 and DLE55

If the batteries sat for an extended period of time they will show charged, but not be. For the opto kill, the smart-fly will not cause problems. Also check the manual on-off switches, sometimes after sitting a while they will oxidize and things will act funny.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Jezmo

Since you are saying "throttle" jittering I'm suspecting a cap bonding issue. The newer RCexl plug caps can be a bear to push on all the way, the little metal ring should be all the way past the hex area on the plug. (You did buy a genuine DLE RCexl ignition right?) If any other ignition is being used there's your problem on that one.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I had a plane that glitched when the engine fired. Turned out that by mounting the batteries on the side of the engine box, the rx battery was quite close to the spark plug. I've moved the battery and the troubles ended.
Sam
Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can RCXCEL ignitions handle a straight 6.6 volts? i was under the impression that 6.0 was the cutoff voltage.... i run 5 cell packs in most of my rcxcel ignition with 5.8v inline regulators
Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim, Here's a copy of an email I got from the JR Tech Rep. In essence, he is saying to keep the ignition system and R/C system seperate. Take it into consideration after you read all the comments you receive from the RCU contributors. Better yet, send him an email and explain your problem just as you have done here. Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50202.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1650037  
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When all else fails, go beck to square one.

Milton
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

The ignition on the DLE's should not be operated over 6.0 volts.. This is in their instruction manual. I would add the requlator for the ignition (make sure that it will handle the high current demands) and you should be OK.

Rick
Old 08-17-2011, 04:15 PM
SuperCub Man

acerc - Thanks for that. I had re-charged the batteries using my FMA CellPro Multi 4. I shall check the switches and use a little "switch cleaner" if necessary. I use the "old fashioned "tuner cleaner" and I will check out the "Smart Fly" but right now I am a little kill switch "gun shy"!

jezmo - yes it is a "genuine" RCexl module and the newer one with the Tach lead. I am well aware of forcefully pushing on the cap and have instructed others. I have to wear a glove to get it seated as it "hurts" otherwise!

daddysam - My batteries in the Skybolt are mounted in the fuse but right behind the firewall. The ignition and RCVR batteries are side by side for needed nose weight. (Possibly a problem!) Wires are run on opposite sides of the fuse.

MetallicaJunkie & readyturn - as I said in my blurb - I use two 1N4007 diodes to reduce the voltage to the IGN Module. On the meter it reads about 5.7 volts.

DAN REISS - thanks for the letter from JR. I used to do that with the old system but changed with the new 2.4G stuff. I know the 2.4G isn't bullet proof, but I've had no trouble until now and in one aircraft I do have separate batteries, however, I shall take it under advisement. Thanks!

BadAzzMaxx - that means 72Mhz and NiCDs and that ain't go'in to happen!!

Thank you all for your thoughts. Some things to think about!!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Since everything worked at one time that eliminates installation causes. The first thing I would check is the spark plug cap. It could be very tight and still leak RF. Get a small hose clamp and put it around the plug cap and tighten it up. Then check to see if the glitches have gone away.
Next change your switches one at a time.
Last it could be a component loose in the receiver. Tap it with a dowel and see if you get a glitch.
As a last resort sell the whole works and get new stuff.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 AM
SuperCub Man

Thanks dirtybird.
I just received a new IGN module from RCexl and installed it on the Skybolt - guess what!! Everything seems to work perfectly - just as before. I am elated! I will now install the cowl and go to the field and see if everything is still OK after a complete assembly and run-up.
If all is good - it begs the question - can a defective Kill Switch damage an IGN module? In particular, is the RCexl "OPTO" kill switch really any good since both mine appear to have failed? I took one apart and all wires are soldered to the same little PC board. I see no sign of an "optical" separation between the battery junction and the RCVR junction - check out Smart Fly for a real optical separation! Guess as suggested by acerc, I'll probably get the Smart Fly and have complete noise separation IGN to RCVR.

So does anyone know if this RCexl kill switch could damage my IGN modules??
Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM
SuperCub Man

Had 7 flights with the Skybolt and it never missed a beat (although a couple of the early landings made my heart miss a couple!) Final two flights were perfect and she three pointed both times.
So it looks like the IGN. module was the problem. I have ordered two "Smart Fly" Kill Switches hoping that with the true optical isolation it provides will eliminate the interference in the module on the Supercub - else I will have to order another module for it as well. However, I will have two GOOD Kill switches on my gassers which makes me feel more comfortable.

Of interest may be that the chap I talked to at Smart Fly could not say if the RCexl could damage the IGN. module, but he said they have damaged the RCVR!! That's a scary thought!!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
acerc

Glad you got it worked out. Don't worry about the smart-fly, it wont let you down. At least none of mine have or everyone I know that uses them.
I've only had to kill the engine once via the smart-fly, but it sure was nice when I needed it.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 PM
SuperCub Man

Thanks Robert. I had the throttle cable "fall off" a few years ago in my Supercub and the throttle was stuck about half open. I was flying alone and with that old Quadra, I flew around for 30 min. before giving up and trying a high speed (for a cub) landing. Tore off the gear - so I want to protect against that as well. Also I don't have to use my throttle trim to shut down and thus re-adjust it each time I fly. Today I did just that and had to do a go-around as I had the idle too high on one approach. Of interest I ordered them around 2 or 3PM my time and I just got an E-mail saying they're already shipped! How's that for service??

Will post my results on correcting the other IGN. module.