Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CRRC starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Daveb572

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRRC starting issues

Hi folks! Got a great big issue here with a CRRC 50i. It's brand spankin' new and I can't seem to get it to run at all. All I'm getting is a pop or two or a backfire, but that's better than yesterday when all it did was to tire out my arm and cause me to make up new cuss words. I'm using 93 octane fuel with a 28 to 1 ratio of Klotz synthetic oil. Maxford USA said they break theirs in at 25 to 1 ratio. The ignition power is a 4 cell 2000 mAh sub-c nicad pack supplying 4.8 volts. Unloaded voltage is 5.8 VDC, so it's fully charged. I'm getting fuel, air, and spark, although the original plug had a very weak spark. I tried a new plug today and started getting it to fire intermittently. I even tried a few shots of starting fluid. It only popped a little more frequently. I know I'm getting fuel because the plug is wet when I remove it. I know I'm getting air because I can see the butterfly valve open. I reset the low and hi speed needles to the factory settings. With the new plug, I have a much brighter spark, yet I can't get it to sustain anything beyond a pop or two. Any ideas, Guys? Thanks! Dave Bryer
Old 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Timber29
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: CRRC starting issues

Did you check your timing I had a CRRC 40 was doing the samething. I re-set the timing and she runs great now.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM
rexbirk

I just went thru that with another brand of engine. New out of the box it wore my right arm out over two sessions. Just an occasional pop. Turned out the ignition module was bad. Installed my spare and she started right up.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I flipped till my arm was tired, came back and did about the same in 20 minutes.  Was getting plenty of gas I knew the ignition worked because I had tested it the night before.  That's when I remembered taking the battery out and charging it because the bench was too full to get the plane on it.  Plugged the dang thing in and 3 flips later the engine was running.

Wish is was that simple for you as you're getting pops, however, make sure the plug is tight (mine was also loose but ran) the boot is on firm and then check the timing. If that doesn't get it T.O.M. will be buy with the correct answer.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Daveb572

Thanks Guys! I appreciate all the advice. Hopefully something here will work. I was going to drain the tank tomorrow and refill with my weed wacker mix. The Klotz Synthetic I'm running now may be too much for it. If that works, I'll refiill my gasoline can with a higher ratio. A couple other ideas I had are to shut the low speed off all the way; it might be getting too much fuel. If I can get it to run until it stops, that may confirm that there's too much fuel going to the motor. It's possible the ignition module is bad as Rex suggested. It makes some sense. Can it also be possible that adding another 1.2 volt sub-c increasing the voltage to the module to 6 VDC would give me a more powerful spark? That voltage is within the specs for this module. I'd like to try all the easy stuff before ordering a new ignition module. The timing can also be an issue as Timber suggests. The timing adjustment for this motor is sealed in the ignition module and is factory set. Only the sensor is outside the module and I don't see any adjustment as far as moving the sensor goes. We're back to replacing the ignition module and my reason for not buying one at this time. I may very well end up buying another module within the next couple of days. I'd really like to eliminate everything else before I do that. Thanks again guys! Any more suggestions will be very welcome, indeed! Dave Bryer
Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

My CRRC 26 was mis-timed and the hall sensor was gapped too far from the magnet to pick up a signal. Re-timed and then shaved the plastic sensor mount til it was a lot closer to the magnet. Runs fine, now.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

You say the timing is set. What is it set at. Should be somewhere close to 25-30deg. BTDC. In that area it should start.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Daveb572

Well, I dun give up. Turns out my motor is still under warranty so I sent it back to the distributor for repair. It wasn't even trying to spark after my last post. We'll see what Maxford has to say and hopefully it'll run qwhen I get it back.