Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What should a 5.8 turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What should a 5.8 turn?

Depends on how you want to fly it. I have a 41% Wild Hare G-202 weighing in at about 27 pounds with a Brison 6.4. Essentially the same engine as the Fox. PLENTY of power. At 30lbs, it would still be enough engine to fly a good aerobatic routine. I'd be a bit caeful for slow high alpha stuff since yours will be haevy for the wing area. I would be looking at ways to shave an ounce here and there as possible without giving up strength.

I had one of those old Lanier 33% Extra kits and they did come in heavy with their wood selection and a tendency to over build in places.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.  I am not a 3d kinda guy.  Just your typical sport pilot.  But I do like having POWER.  Just in case.  The guy I bought the kit from suggested an 85cc.  Others in my club have said I should go with a 111.  The DLE 85 and 111 are very close in price so that issue is a wash.  But if I can afford to buy American next spring when I do buy, I want to make sure I get something equivalent in power to the DLE 111.  AT least, thats what I am thinking.  Things could change.  I will be going to Perry Ga in March (swap meet) and I may find a deal I cant pass up on an 85.  SO I guess the question is would an 85 be enough for sport flying?  And if so what American made engine would fit the bill?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a Brison 5.8 on my GSP.com Edge 540. It turned 6300 with the stock muffler and a Menz 26X10. 5700 sounds low. Fox, FPE, Brison and others use Sachs cylinders and pistons.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know where to pick up a 5.8 Brison cylinder? I would consider a used one.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark C

Do you know where to pick up a 5.8 Brison cylinder? I would consider a used one.
I found a guy on "Flynig Ginats" who was selling a bunch of Sachs parts, I bought a jug and some bearings for my 3.2 from him,, I'll try and find a link to his profile or the ad for you, hang tight

Edit,,, I couldn't find the ad, His user name on FG is "Carl Orbiosn"
If you dont have a FG account, LMK I'll email him and see if he has the parts,, PM me your contact info and I'll have him email you